Residual Values ........

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2010, 01:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Residual Values ........

Shocking ...

Just been looking around and a 2008 WRX STi Hatch with 10,000 miles on is up for an asking price of £19,995 at a garage. That equates to £18,000 once the usual 10% is knocked off

Holy crap, that's more than £1 a mile in depreciation alone .................

A 2008 WRX Hatch with 15,000 miles is around £11,000 ...

Bargains? Or still over-priced?
Old 14 May 2010, 02:02 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll never get £2k off a 2008 car is 2yrs old so will always lose, say, 40%. I'm not sure what they were new so just say £28k - 40% off leaves £17k. One above has low miles hence being priced above £17k.

TX.
Old 14 May 2010, 06:20 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

It certainly makes a new one with £950 first year road tax look like a poor deal. I wonder how many PPP WRXs are still around.
Presumably pre-registering this kind of car is rather expensive these days........ or can you declare SORN on first registration?
Old 14 May 2010, 09:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I've been tracking a few cars over the past months ...... nothing seems to be selling - so, of course, you can get 10% Off Screen Prices .... it's pretty standard procedure.

So, by my reckoning, WRX STi's Hatches from 2008 with less than 20k miles on are £17k ..... WRX's from 2008 with the same 20k miles on are around £10k.

Makes buying new a mugs game?
Old 14 May 2010, 10:11 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

I was talking to a trader the other day; told me that the used car market in general is very slow and any car retaining over 35% after three years is doing well!
Old 14 May 2010, 10:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Looks that way ..... certainly with the Hatches.

I've just done a search on AutoTrader - the number of unsold WRX-S's is amazing - all now pre-reg cars and down at £19k (I bet they would snap your arm off if you offered £17,500!) ..... the new unregistered WRX's can be had for £18,500 with free ppp and 18" GT1 wheels.

But, in 2 years these are about £11,000 or less

Seems to me like a 2 year old one owner hatch is the best buy of all?
Old 14 May 2010, 10:21 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i saw a 3.0 TDI lemans A6 with 30k on 2 years old for 19k , in Harrogate, just shows the markets stuffed at the mo and good for peeps buying, thoses Audis are 38k new. Now thats depreciation
Old 14 May 2010, 10:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The Audi garage are pestering me more than any other .... I took out a S3 Quattro - nice, same as my Scooby Wagon in truth - but £32,500

Nah, sorry Audi - I don't have DICK tattooed across my forehead .... badges mean diddly to me!
Old 14 May 2010, 11:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
...I don't have DICK tattooed across my forehead...
You should. I know a tattooist who can rectify this oversight for you. Now: which way round should you have it - the right way to warn everyone or in reverse script to hammer the point home to you?
Old 15 May 2010, 12:03 AM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

think you'll find a 2008 sti was only 24,995
Old 15 May 2010, 09:37 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

The more I think about this the more I think that the WRX is pretty pointless unless they can get the emissions below 225g/km, wide body or not. If they can't then maybe a WRX-D is what they need to save the Impreza. We know they can easily get 180-190bhp from the diesel. The trouble is that with a wide body it would cost at least £25k.

......and they were having trouble with reliability on the higher output diesels.
Old 15 May 2010, 09:45 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

The Audi garage are pestering me more than any other .... I took out a S3 Quattro - nice, same as my Scooby Wagon in truth - but £32,500

Nah, sorry Audi - I don't have DICK tattooed across my forehead .... badges mean diddly to me!

I agree with u m8, 32k for a car unless its some excutive A6 Le Mans or BMW 535D then dont bother, its like spending 30k on a Golf R Muppets id say
Old 15 May 2010, 02:09 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Won't happen, traders don't play that game.

TX.

I've been tracking a few cars over the past months ...... nothing seems to be selling - so, of course, you can get 10% Off Screen Prices .... it's pretty standard procedure.
Old 15 May 2010, 02:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
think you'll find a 2008 sti was only 24,995
Instead of the £25,800 now?

That's only £800 more .... were there discounts on the £24,995 price?
Old 15 May 2010, 02:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Won't happen, traders don't play that game.

TX.

They do if they want to stay trading ........................ end of.
Old 15 May 2010, 05:40 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Looks that way ..... certainly with the Hatches.

I've just done a search on AutoTrader - the number of unsold WRX-S's is amazing - all now pre-reg cars and down at £19k (I bet they would snap your arm off if you offered £17,500!) ..... the new unregistered WRX's can be had for £18,500 with free ppp and 18" GT1 wheels.

But, in 2 years these are about £11,000 or less

Seems to me like a 2 year old one owner hatch is the best buy of all?

That's why I bought a 12 month old STI with 5k on the clock for what I thought was a bargain, its pretty much worth now what it was last June and the guy who bought it new lost atleast 5k and not me!
Old 16 May 2010, 09:11 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Just asked WeBuyAnyCar.com for a price on a 57 Plate, WRX Hatchback with 20k miles on it ... in perfect condition.

£8,400 ... Good Grief .... that's the Trade value of one! SHOCKED!!
Old 16 May 2010, 12:12 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pslewis are you actually going to buy a car or just go round kicking tyres?
You have seem to looked at a lot over the past few months and have'nt bought anything yet. Maybe you'd be happy with a Jap spec caras they hold there residual's far better then the UK sti's

Last edited by juggers; 16 May 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ He's not gonna change from his 10yr+ old Scoob or indeed his Mazda MX5 Govt pension doesn't stretch far these days

TX.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:18 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Just asked WeBuyAnyCar.com for a price on a 57 Plate, WRX Hatchback with 20k miles on it ... in perfect condition.

Those guys are worse than thieves ... only a would sell a car to them. Saying that though I'm surprised they'll give you that much as that car is slow a sh*te & ugly as sin.

TX.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:26 PM
CP84
Scooby Regular

new sti is now 28 grand
Old 17 May 2010, 05:49 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Been offered 8k for my 55 plate 23k miles wrx wagon!
Old 17 May 2010, 06:47 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

But this will not affect you as I'm sure you have said previously in one of your many posts that you will keep this for a fair while and it will not be a short term purchase.

For gods sake man make a decision and either buy a car that you like and will not mod or keep your classic.

Last edited by Abx; 17 May 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 17 May 2010, 07:24 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

that sites full of ****, i bought a new car and even before id got it they offered me 11k on a 22k car LOL
Old 17 May 2010, 07:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

But WRX-S's can now be had for £19k brand new ..... there are loads about still.

I know I've been kicking tyres for months now ... but, remember that this is a 10 year purchase - maybe my final car ever!! I've got to get it right!

Took a WRX STi out last weekend, only had 160 miles on it - and it was fantastic ... well, fantastic in that you could drive like the wind - utterly superb at the country lane dash. Mind boggling pulling power in Sport Sharp (but, boy, do you hit the redline fast in that mode!) Intelligent Mode was obviously an appeal to me given my superior intelligence .... drove like a normal car. Sport gave it the sensation of mine and what I would leave it in I guess?

But ...... the plastics Come on Subaru!!! This is a £28,000 car FFS and the heating dials feel like I'm tuning in an Amstrad/Bush Hi-Fi Wireless!! HORRIFIC!! The door silver painted plastic was already scratched after 160 miles ... what will it be like after 3 years? The rear bumper, just underneath, the black plastic which I was looking at because I need a TowBar ..... was the exact same plastic as you get at the Garden Center holding your seedlings!!! That is an outrage!!

So, the Impreza now has the feel of a cheap end Bush/Amstrad Hi-Fi ... no quality feel at all ... yes, it goes extremely well - amazingly well in fact and a pleasure to drive.

But, throw in the costs - the £950 first year Road Tax - the £435 (soon to be £500) annual smack in the teeth - the 22mpg - the residual values of a used jonny and it really doesn't make any sense. I guess that's why they are just not selling?

Subaru need to up their game on the WRX STi at £28,000 ...... the WRX at £17,000 (which they can be bought for now) is so cheap you can live with the tackiness - but not for the big boy.

A Honda Civic Diesel Type S is calling my name - it delivers bags of turbo torque fun - it give luxuries that Subaru can only dream of (Dual Zone Climate Control) - it is £110 a year Tax - it returns 55mpg.

It breaks my heart to say it, but Subaru no longer make a car that makes sense ...

My wagon ticked every box 10 years ago (and actually still does to this day) .... I want my wagon new, what about it Subaru? Make the Classic Wagon again and I'll buy one tomorrow!
Old 17 May 2010, 08:19 PM
73henny
Scooby Regular

PSLEWIS;

I know I've been kicking tyres for months now ... but, remember that this is a 10 year purchase - maybe my final car ever!!

It will be by the time you buy it

Took a WRX STi out last weekend, only had 160 miles on it - and it was fantastic ... well, fantastic in that you could drive like the wind - utterly superb at the country lane dash. Mind boggling pulling power in Sport Sharp (but, boy, do you hit the redline fast in that mode!) Intelligent Mode was obviously an appeal to me given my superior intelligence .... drove like a normal car. Sport gave it the sensation of mine and what I would leave it in I guess?

So, the Impreza now has the feel of a cheap end Bush/Amstrad Hi-Fi ... no quality feel at all ... yes, it goes extremely well - amazingly well in fact and a pleasure to drive.

Subaru need to up their game on the WRX STi at £28,000 ...... the WRX at £17,000 (which they can be bought for now) is so cheap you can live with the tackiness - but not for the big boy.

Its the 'utterly superb at the country lane dash' and the 'mind boggling pulling power' that your paying for! If you want the STi's pace and high quality interior your looking at an Audi RS4 type money. Go look one up.

A Honda Civic Diesel Type S is calling my name - it delivers bags of turbo torque fun - it give luxuries that Subaru can only dream of (Dual Zone Climate Control) - it is £110 a year Tax - it returns 55mpg.
My next door neighbour has one. Leaked the first day he had it. Still, dual Climate Control eh...

It breaks my heart to say it, but Subaru no longer make a car that makes sense ...

I love my hatch STi. Bought it new on a 58 plate. Faultless 15k and 20mths later i'm trading it in for a Diesel Legacy SE NavPlus. Why?, because my kids are growing up fast. Not because of the STi's running costs. Everyone knows what they cost to run before they buy one. I got a very good trade in price, and on Friday when I pick my new car up I'll have a sensible Subaru and Dual Climate Control. Yipee.

Last edited by 73henny; 17 May 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 18 May 2010, 08:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 73henny
PSLEWIS;

My next door neighbour has one. Leaked the first day he had it. Still, dual Climate Control eh...
What do you mean ............. leaked??? It's not a Convertible ...... puzzled?
Old 18 May 2010, 12:51 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

My mate has a Civic type S 2.2 diesel, and I agree with you - keep it in the sweet spot and its actually surprisingly good. However, don't forget that this one has the beam axle at the back rather than independant suspension, which makes it handle a little funny sometimes. Ride quality in the back is a little harsh as well, and rearward visibility is reduced by the strange spoiler thing.

However, it is a Honda, so reliability is up there with the best of them, and its a nice car overall. Buying brand new might be a bit restrictive, have you thought about not quite new but with an extended warranty? Might be worth considering, as it could in theory open up your choices a bit...
Old 18 May 2010, 01:12 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

...plus the styling means there's not much headroom in the back for adults and the kids can't see out because of the high window line and thick rear pillars. The bottom part of the rear window is neither heated nor swept by a wiper so rear visibility is very poor in bad weather.
Nice drive, lovely engine and build quality to match anything though.
Old 18 May 2010, 02:32 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

UK Hatch STI's were being advertised between £24k & £25k new when I got mine (June 2008)..I paid slightly more (£27k) to get the premium Euro and all the extras..

I'd say £8k depreciation over 2 years is pretty damn good... My Porsche depreciated £12k in 18 months, and that was before the recession

Quick Reply: Residual Values ........