Sponsored by:

2008 > WRX-S prodrive Gt1

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2010, 11:30 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2008 > WRX-S prodrive Gt1

Guys still having issues with my wobbly wheels at 70mph, had 4 garages look and all couldnt nail it, Subaru technical now involved and due to try local garge tonight as they did my front and they seemed a lot better.

QQ to all WRX-S drivers, have any of you noticed steering wheel wobble only slight at between 65 n 75 mph, 1 dealer near me had another WRX-S on and that was the same they wobbled at 70 ish.

Its not a massive wobble but an annnoyance you pay 20k and its not nicce to drive on the m1.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13 May 2010, 05:16 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same thing on my 2010 WRX-S. I just put it down to the fact the wheels hadn't been balance properly but after reading your post, possible not.
Old 13 May 2010, 06:50 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

be good to see how you get on Scooby.

Advice

I tried 4 diff companies

Kwik Fit ( m8 works here ) Not bad but still did it
Subaru Leeds ( bunch of nobbers )
Subaru Huddersfield ( tried there best but eventually said it was a characteristic of the car ) was better but still there.
HI-Q ( best ive had i actually did it with the guy all to 0 and drives much better, If i set the Cruise at 75 i cant feel it only sometimes its weird intermitant.

Anyway, spoke to Phil at IM group ( subaru UK ) and asked his advice, basics are get them balanced by a good machine , kwik fits are **** some are good some are stoneage. get it best you can then contact your loacl subaru dealer.

get the area manager in and take him out in it, he can then advise on next course of action.

Subaru UK said get the wheels balanced whilst still on the car, But unfotunately im hearing no1 does this or if they do please tell me, But also on a 4wd car its hard Anyway care to comment on that ?

The next bit of advice was to Turn the back propshaft 180 degrees he said its easy and a tyre guy could do it, although none of mine would.

These are weightted and the resonance from the back prop can cause it also.

Annoying though, bloody thing

feel better though m8 now you have it.

Unsure where you are but if your northern ish ie Leeds manchester area, maybe we attack a dealer together.

Ted

Last edited by Littleted; 13 May 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 13 May 2010, 11:32 PM
midichlorian
Scooby Regular

Guys have you both had full 4 wheel alignment? Also called geo. Kwik Fit / HiQ etc do not normally have this kit, it's quite an involved process taking 30mins or so to set up before any adjustments are made. It works with lasers mounted on clamps on all wheels whilst on the car up on the ramps, lasers linked to each other & a computer which checks alignment of each wheel in all three planes, and their settings relative to each other. Settings are then changed according to a template for your preference, fast road, tarmac, etc, etc

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know / have tried, but if not I recommend it very highly. I had mine done at a hatch meet at Iain Litchfields & after the difference was dramatic vs. the **** poor alignement done by the dealer at PDI. I've got the hatch STi, different suspension but with GT1's exactly like yours.

Not sure where your nearest geo rig will be, I know there's one at Prosport in Stockport, and I heard there's one at the new Autosport dealership in Chester. Get hold of your nearest scooby club they'll know of who does geo checks in Yorkshire - only warning is it will likely cost ~£100

But I'm not an expert - there are loads of real ones in the Tech area, might be better to post this there?

Anyway - HTH
Old 14 May 2010, 03:53 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

wooo fixed

I took your advice went to Gordons Tyres in wakefield as they have the 4wd bit of kit, massive machine, they lined up my wheels Fronts off to the left, then rebalnced it PERFECT now

Thanks
Old 14 May 2010, 04:09 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Good to hear you have got it sorted Littleted and thanks for the advice midichlorian. It's funny you should mention Prosport as I was in the earlier today to get a price for new springs and anti-roll bar to help reduce the body movement and the 4 wheel drive alignment was included in the price. I had it done on my previous Impreza down at Prosport and it made a world of difference. Fingers crossed, once all that is done, it'll run like a dream.
Old 14 May 2010, 04:59 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

And here I was ready to lend you my spare set.....

A second vote for Gordons in Wakey from me too !

dunx
Old 14 May 2010, 09:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember, in the good old days, my wheels were balanced on the car.

The Mechanic sat on a machine which he put up to the tyre (off the ground) the machine had a roller which span the wheel up on its own ...... balanced that way it was perfect!

I've not seen it done like that for 30+ years now.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:17 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

it saddens me that subaru told me to have it balanced on the car, as far as all the guys ive seen have said that died ages ago and isnt done now