Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling MY00, but what to replace with??

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2010, 09:51 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Thinking of selling MY00, but what to replace with??

MY00, 50k miles only, immaculate condition, owned for the last 9 years, unmolested original.
Thinking of selling as I do very little miles, (5k p/a), and the running costs are now starting to outway the joy of owning. So what should I replace it with? I still want some smiles, so though maybe one of the following:
Seat Leon Cupra R
Civic Type R
Golf GTi mk4

Have got no cash to prop up the sale, so looking at purchases of equivelant value (4500-5000 if I find the right buyer).

I know I will miss the Scoob if/when it goes, but my head (and wallet) are telling me it's the right thing to do, just wondering if anyone's done the change and how the above compare,

Ian..
Old 11 May 2010, 09:54 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

i take it , your car is a turbo 2000? not sure how much you will actually save going over to a cupra or something

but out of those 3 , it'd have to be the civic type r! was excellent on economy when i had it, and quite fun too
Old 11 May 2010, 10:01 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Yeah, sorry, Classic Turbo (UK),

MPG will be better on all of them (can't be any worse !!!), servicing won't be every 6 months, (last one was 2nd cam belt change with tensioner £600), and just the niggling worry that a 10 year old car is going to start giving me problems which = ££££££ (although it's been ultra reliable for the last 9 years).
Old 11 May 2010, 10:18 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I'm in a similar situation but you'd be mad to sell a good standard MY00 with known history and a recent cambelt service only to replace it with an old secondhand hot hatch of unknown provenance.
My brother's mk4 Gti looks fantastic but has been riddled with faults. There is no way you'd know this until it was too late. My MY00 has had a coolant hose failure and a MAF sensor replaced..........that is it in ten years.
If I change I will only look at new or nearly new cars, anything else is a bit of a lottery.
Old 11 May 2010, 10:38 AM
Vr5RA_Matchew
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^ Thats all ive had go wrong with mine since owning my subaru, a maf and top rad hose.

Im in the same situation with the OP i want to free up debt so i can move out with my partner but the fuel bills, insurance etc is crippling me so somethings got to give.

Ive gone for an Ep3 Type great car loved the test drive cant wait to own it, plus mine bargain of the century 69k full history, 2 owners the last owner had it for 5 years totally stock hpi clear etc etc £4,350

Last edited by Vr5RA_Matchew; 11 May 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11 May 2010, 11:04 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

nice civic type r mate, heres my old beastie, so much fun

kept it like this for 3 months

then came the decatted exhaust and k pro and o what fun

re: Original Post, out of those go for the Civic type R, got honda reliability and can honestly say in the 12 months i had it nothing went wrong and it was at the redline daily.. just looking at the pics makes me wish i never sold it! ive never driven a turbo 2000 so not sure how they would compare but my remapped CTR did dust a few so you wont be missing out on any performance. actually thats a lie. CTR's are shocking in the wet, no traction. only downside.

Last edited by eggy790; 11 May 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11 May 2010, 11:13 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Personally I wouldn't bother selling one old performance car for a slightly newer performance car.

If you have the space, I would buy a very cheap but reliable car to knock about in and keep the scoob for occasions. You'll feel a right **** if you sell a perfectly working performance car and buy a car with lots of problems.
Old 11 May 2010, 11:20 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eggy790
I wouldn't want a car that attracts that type of lad around
Old 11 May 2010, 12:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I have a CTR and a MY00 Scoob and the CTR is actually a lot of fun and pretty quick but you have to cane it to get it to do the same thing your MY00 does so effortlessly.

As long as you are prepared to give it some stick then you will enjoy it.

Try and get a standard CTR rather than a chavved up one. Honda did a pretty good job out of the factory as it happens.
Old 11 May 2010, 01:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm in exactly the position of the OP!

Owned my MY00 since the very first day ... 10 years of cracking motoring ... just been through its MOT .. again .. it just keeps on delivering.

But, I now have itchy feet ... I'm getting on and the next car may be my last - if I don't do it now I may be buried in my old trusty Classic! No bad coffin!?

The nearest I came to my car was a 6 month old Audi S3 Quattro ... but, at £32,500 it's a bit steep! I did genuinely offer a straight swap!! I'm not joking that it didn't offer much more for the money!

I have taken out a good few Civic Type R's ... I just find them hard work and with no turbo kick - the Type S 2.2 Diesel is a much better drive and more like the feeling of the Scooby (except when it hits the wall at 4,000 RPM!) but change gear quickly and it's surprisingly great fun - no, really it is!

Taken out a Focus ST3 .. best seats I have ever experienced - leather heated Recaros - lovely! And at £18k new OTR - not bad value. But you cannot fit a TowBar!

Mazda6 2500 Sport is interesting - the cabin is fantastic, it comes fully loaded and looks like a Lexus IS250 for a fraction of the cost! They cannot give away the 2500 petrols so massive discounts to be had!

Mazda3 mps - pretty good, but Torque steer is a reall issue .... the BOSE system takes up the boot space too!

Volvo C30 T5 is the offbeat choice - I haven't driven one yet, but hope to soon. Looks are like Marmite - love it or hate it.

Skoda vRS is an option - £15,300 OTR - quite a bargain!! But it was just not involving when driving it ... I couldn't get comfortable in it at all ... and when someone waved me down shouting "TAXI" that was the final insult which made me eject it from my list!

Vauxhall Astra looks amazing, the new one in white, VXR? Cannot do for me because the exhaust is where I need the TowBar to be!

Vauxhall Insignis 2.0T - brilliant engine ... car a bit big for me and Mrs Lewis ... but great 'pull' from the engine At £26,000 it's taking the mickey to be honest - it's a Vauxhall FFS!

VW Golf - nice, but over-priced and amazingly bland to look at The Scirocco is fantastic!! But, again, no TowBar available

Renault Megane Coupe - amazing look, but you just know that bits will fall off - they always do (despite the salesman telling me that they are up there with Audi now!)

You can see I have been around a bit - done my homework and am still undecided!

I get back into my old Classic and it gradually dawns on me that I have the car for me right on my drive! But, I cannot stop looking ..... and hoping something will jump up and grab me!

It will be my last car, so it needs to deliver on so many levels ..... all I need is my car, new and I'm buying it!!!

Last edited by pslewis; 11 May 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11 May 2010, 03:37 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AudiMan
unmolested original.

get a M5 - you will never look back
Old 11 May 2010, 04:07 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

330i FT(mf)W
Old 11 May 2010, 04:56 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

keep the classic, standard mint ones are great cars, why change it.
Old 11 May 2010, 05:06 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

OP: Forget the Golf Mk4. Don't handle, unreliable and some versions are dog slow. Only upsides are the relatively good image and pretty good economy.

The Cupra is a much better car, but won't be much cheaper to run than the Scoob.

The CTR is the one to have, but a properly driven one will still do less than 30mpg, and I'd still change the oil ever 6 months because that VTEC engine gets a hard time.
Old 11 May 2010, 05:51 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I wouldn't want a car that attracts that type of lad around
lol urban: those two guys are the apprentaces at the garage, got happy to see my car lol tbh they get happy at any performance car, theyve grown up a bit now and dont dress like that lol
Old 11 May 2010, 07:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I cannot believe those saying the CTR is good ..... it lacks the pull of a Turbo charged engine, you need to have the mechanical sympathy of a monkey to thrash the engine all the time.

If you don't thrash it, you may as well catch a lift on a milk float!
Old 11 May 2010, 07:26 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

You'll regret it!

106 diesel for the win lol, i hear they do about 60 MPG!

Thanks,
Sam
Old 11 May 2010, 08:47 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

pslewis: the pull is not the same in the CTR but it is a dam good car and with a good driver are quite quick. wont the same as the turbo but still fun. all my previous performance cars have been n/a and ive had a few civic vtis so really like the hondas.

but again as soon as i drove a subaru i got hooked, and havnt changed.. had 4 now..
Old 11 May 2010, 09:04 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eggy790
lol urban: those two guys are the apprentaces at the garage, got happy to see my car lol tbh they get happy at any performance car, theyve grown up a bit now and dont dress like that lol

Old 12 May 2010, 09:31 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thanks to everyone who's responded to my dilema, think I need to drive the CTR and see how I feel afterwards, as some of you rightly say, why change a known reliable performance car (again only MAF has ever given me a problem), for one which may not offer the levels of reliability the Scoob has shown, and if maintained in a similar manner may continue to exibit for years to come.

I am just so certain I will miss it, having owned it for 9 years (longest ever owned a previous car was 2 years), and I f money wasn't quite so tight I know I'd buy a 05' JDM STi, so maybe I'll try and ride out the economic blues (7.5% paycut coupled with moving house 6 months ago, so bigger mortgage), keep the classic, and wait for a true alternative (which if I'm honest will probably only ever be another Scooby)
Old 12 May 2010, 01:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Keep the Classic I would say!
Old 14 May 2010, 10:26 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Civic m8 there bullet prooof had 1 for 3 years best car ive had, until now :P
Old 14 May 2010, 10:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The Civic Diesel 2.2 is a cracking car all round ..... makes financial sense and goes well too.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:58 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I had a similar issue a few months ago but my feet are often itchy. I had a 330bhp classic and I did really consider the CTR [without test driving one] but in the end I went for a well modded UK STI producing 390/360. I had very similar feedback as you have had re the CTR v Impreza.
Old 15 May 2010, 07:42 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another ten year old classic owner since new with 57k on the clock
only way to save Money with a car is a brand new KIA or swift with £35 rfl and 50mpg
to replace it with another peformance car that is old is financial sucide

It will be worth 2500 aprox but keep it and it probably won't loose much more as they will be thought after as classics are dissapearing to the chavs who will write them off / blow them up then scrap them for £200

performance cars are bought to be abused and thrashed so a one you haven't grown up with
will and most likely be a massive money pit

Keep the classic and get yourself an old banger as an everyday car or get yourself a brand new KIA on 5 years IFC and don't enjoy the sound of the flat four and classic status
Old 15 May 2010, 09:46 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Another ten year old classic owner since new with 46k on the clock !!!

and I'm going to keep it........ Best car i have ever owned

Last edited by albob; 15 May 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 15 May 2010, 09:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I am amazed how many of us have cherished low mileage classics. The mark of an iconic car I guess. Can't see the later models engendering the same affection.
Old 15 May 2010, 09:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I cannot believe those saying the CTR is good ..... it lacks the pull of a Turbo charged engine, you need to have the mechanical sympathy of a monkey to thrash the engine all the time.

If you don't thrash it, you may as well catch a lift on a milk float!
LOL at the milk float comment.

To be honest Pete it is built to be thrashed, but some people just don't feel right about caning a car to get performance out of it.

Horses for courses as they say.
Old 15 May 2010, 10:03 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

Keep the classic till you can afford to get the jdm sti you want mate. Thats what Id do anyway.
Old 16 May 2010, 08:52 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Classics are the future classic car
great to see more of the one owner unmolested samples turn up

Wonder if people will keep the bugeye / blobeye for ever ?