Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are disputes sorted on here.....not happy.

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2010, 10:35 PM
pistol
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are disputes sorted on here.....not happy.

Basically being sent some parts i brought, after seeing a picture, then what arrives is obviously not what i saw in the picture....
Old 06 April 2010, 10:36 PM
1000rwhp
Scooby Regular

did the you pay though paypal ?
Old 06 April 2010, 10:41 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to rely on the goodwill of the seller, I should know, I have a sport cat sat in my garage that needs some welding and cutting to make it fit, so much for a direct fit - my PM's and posts have been ignored and there's no official system like ebay
Old 06 April 2010, 10:41 PM
pistol
Scooby Regular

no like a ****, they're still trading on here, so ill just make there life hell if i dont get a refund.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:43 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

If they are not as described then you could always go through the small claims court. Make sure you save the pictures before they are deleted!!!
Old 06 April 2010, 10:48 PM
pistol
Scooby Regular

ive got them in a e-mail, on my computer and on photobucket and soon to be posted on here unless i get a reply.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:50 PM
chris28
Scooby Regular

might be a daft question but have you spoke to the seller about your concerns
Old 06 April 2010, 10:54 PM
pistol
Scooby Regular

yeah sent them a mail,with pictures comparing them both, see what happens.
Old 06 April 2010, 11:24 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

just post a link to the for sale advert

Shaun
Old 07 April 2010, 06:33 AM
pistol
Scooby Regular

oh that'll happen, be sure of that.
Old 07 April 2010, 10:28 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

big problem on here si that you are buying blind if you can not actualy go and pick the item up in person. there is no come back on the seller and there is no secdurity unless paid via paypal for the buyer (and none if sent as a gift)

good faith is all you have and the issue is more and more people are being stung n ehre by non genuine people. the last run of parts i got rid of were for free as i had not use for them and they were only worth 10-20 quid if that so all i asked was for the postage and beer tokens is they felt like it, only one was kind enough but hey no big deal.

IB need to sort this out, which as been tried by the trader rating idea but still people are being ripped off. no idea what they can do next but all i can say to anyone nw and for the future unless you can go and pick the items up in person then i would leave well alone.

shame its come to this
Old 07 April 2010, 10:39 AM
V555MAC
Scooby Regular

Name and shame dude!!, then we can all keep an eyey out for this rogue trader!!. Might flush them out aswell!
Old 07 April 2010, 10:59 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a seller deliberately scam me with a photoshopped photo to hide damage and Shaun who was a webmaster at the time spotted the photoshop and banned him. I hadn't even spotted the photoshop but luckily Shaun did.
Old 07 April 2010, 11:31 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Paulo P

Was that a set of seats by any chance ?

Shaun
Old 07 April 2010, 11:46 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certainly was, the photo was edited to hide a hole in a bolster.
Old 07 April 2010, 11:55 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Just to add this isn't something that just happens on here, it seems to happen on a few of the big forums.

Not sure how they deal with it.
Old 07 April 2010, 01:52 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe they need to have a problem section where if there are unhappy parties due to false claims or con men they complain in there and the MODS should look at all the evidence from both parties and then make a decision.
If they find in favour of the buyer either the seller refunds money or gets banned permanently.
and a name and shamed section should also be allowed to name and shame these people just like bad company's,, without people being scared of bein banned for a wk or two,

something must be done and its up to the mods to get this sorted out for the sake of the site
Old 07 April 2010, 02:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Just to reiterate: SN is a community chat forum, not Ebay. We do provide forums where private parties can stage their own transactions, but this is under the strict proviso that such transactions are independent of SN.... i.e we can't safeguard such transactions - it's a case of "buyer beware"

We have neither the time, inclination or investigative authority to mediate disputes between parties involved in a private transaction.

We do have a feedback system so you can at least make informed decisions about who you trade with, but this does rely on people actually using it! Common sense should always apply: If you're dealing with a newbie with no feedback and who is not a paying member of the site, then it's best to arrange a transaction in person. If you can't do this, you have to decide whether it's worth a punt - it will be a risk and there is very little we can do if it goes **** up!

Banning etc... with these types of individuals would not work as if they've just come on here to rip people off, they'll have invested bugger all in the site and will have no problem with creating a new account and repeating the trick that way. Such accounts will not become obvious to us untill it's too late and someone gets ripped off!

The ONLY way to physically prevent people from taking gambles with transactions is to close the for sale forums to all but paying members of SN, at least that should help disuade the rip off merchants (as we'll have more info on them)! However, it will mean that if you're not a paying member of SN you'll not be able to buy/sell on here. Can't see that being popular.

However, the remit of the forum will remain the same: chat community and Mods will not be able to mediate between disputes as a matter of routine.

I think part of the issue is that people take a punt on a risky transaction assuming we'll be able to help if the gamble does not pay off. Unfortunately, as sympathetic as we may be when things go wrong, there is often very little, if anything, we can do.

Use your common sense and the Itrader system and, hopefully, you'll never have a problem!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 07 April 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07 April 2010, 02:47 PM
pistol
Scooby Regular

cheers lads for the replies, how long is considerate to wait for a reply until i start posting things?

to the moderator that just replied, i think closing the for sale section to none paying members is a very good idea, that's what they do on passionford and seems to work well, at least then people generally get to know who's who and who is trustworthy.
Old 07 April 2010, 02:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Furry muff!

I'll have a word with Stu about doing a poll on this subject and we'll put it to the community!

People need to be aware though, that even if the for sale forums were paying members only, as a web based community, SN would still be unable to safeguard transactions or routinely mediate disputes. The idea would be that the act of having used card details with SN to be able to access the FS forums would provide a disincentive for people to try any funny stuff!

The wast majority of these problems do occur with non paying members!
Old 07 April 2010, 03:01 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Detailing World used to charge c.£15 a year to sell in the Forsale section on top of being a member. Bought and sold on DW and never got stung. I have bought and sold on SNet too and never got stung either, luck of the draw and a little intuition. Not pay no sell is a good forum standard to have though, it should be a subscription privilege.
Old 07 April 2010, 05:54 PM
pistol
Scooby Regular

any ideas how long i should wait?
Old 07 April 2010, 06:05 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

name and shame now, i bet he will then come straight on to defend himself and the matter will get resolved. the longer you leave it the harder it could get to sort.
you shouldnt have to wait.
Old 07 April 2010, 06:09 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Be careful and ensure that you stick to the facts; don't get emotional otherwise it will get messy and you'll end up as the evil one. Remember, there is always 2 sides in any argument and some people will side with the other party, don't let that get to you
Old 07 April 2010, 06:41 PM
pistol
Scooby Regular

ok lads,i wont get emotional, hehe

just a couple of pics first - what was sent to me by email, thought yeah looks nice and clean to me NOTE i did not want or need the maf...

And what arrived - had to wait a week for it to be sent (paid instantly), then got told he'd sent the maf aswell,i starting to worry at this point..

See a 'slight' difference? Absolultey filthy,not what i saw first time, some industrial hose instead of the 'hks' item i was promised, even the aluminium pipe (forgot what it's proper name is) is different.
Old 07 April 2010, 06:46 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

no wonder ure fuming mate, thats shocking

hope u get it sorted sooner
Old 07 April 2010, 06:48 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Going on the filter I bet the maf is worthless also, bin worthy IMHO
Old 07 April 2010, 06:51 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

there's a bit of a difference there and by looks of it the seller used a "library picture" i think you ought to tell who it was, they may then feel obliged to offer a refund.
Old 07 April 2010, 06:51 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Totaly different thats **** poor!
Old 07 April 2010, 06:53 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pistol
ok lads,i wont get emotional, hehe

just a couple of pics first - what was sent to me by email, thought yeah looks nice and clean to me NOTE i did not want or need the maf...

And what arrived - had to wait a week for it to be sent (paid instantly), then got told he'd sent the maf aswell,i starting to worry at this point..

See a 'slight' difference? Absolultey filthy,not what i saw first time, some industrial hose instead of the 'hks' item i was promised, even the aluminium pipe (forgot what it's proper name is) is different.
Bonus, you got a free screwdriver!

Just kidding, thats straight up bullsh1t, the one you received has seen a fair old few thousand miles since the pic was taken, if it even is the same part.

Quick Reply: How are disputes sorted on here.....not happy.