What to look for in a V4?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2010, 03:13 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to look for in a V4?

Hi guys,

I'm going to look at this car next weekend and was wondering what to look for?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1597215.htm

I'm assuming the cambelts need doing around 50k miles if they haven't already but are there any issues known to these models I should be aware of other than the usual knocks, bangs, smoking and rattles etc?

I've done some research on the STi lump and heard they can suffer from piston slap and/or need rebuilding around this mileage.

If anybody could shed some light I would be most grateful.
Old 05 April 2010, 03:24 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a nice clean motor, My brother has a modified STi Version 4, only problem he has had in 25k miles of driving is headgasket failure. Other then that its had no other problems.

Just the usual things to look out for, make sure gearbox goes into gear nicely and the engine has no knocking. And make sure that the revs sit nice and doesnt rev irratically as MAF sensors are expensive for this year car(well most impreza's).

Other then that even in standard form they are very quick cars, one of the reasons I sold my Evo and bought another scooby. My brothers standard(at the time) STi Version 4 would pull away from my 330bhp Evo 6!!!!
Old 05 April 2010, 03:46 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments fella - obviously my biggest concern with this car is that there is no previous history (such as cambelt). However I plan to do the usual checks such as oil level/condition etc.

Make sure I hear it start from cold and brakes in a straight line. So far the seller has been a great bloke and sent any and all pictures I have requested so I'm not terribly worried.

As for the MAF issue I'm assuming the best way to test this would be to dip the clutch during normal driving and expect the revs to drop to and sit at around 900/1k?
Old 05 April 2010, 04:21 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

IMO it seems a tad pricey for a V4, thats V5 money.
Old 05 April 2010, 04:56 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

I've a V5 which I paid to much for. But oh well, don't regret buying mine though.

Yes mine does have engine knock or piston slap scared me at first but after reading up on here its normal. Unless it dosn't go away. Mine does after about 30 seconds, once the oil has been cirulated around.

I brought mine with 35k on and staright away had cambelt done as peace of mind. Its on over 60k now with no engine mods. And still going well touch wood.
Old 05 April 2010, 08:30 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys - anyone know what the headgaskets are like on these?
Old 05 April 2010, 08:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maintain them well, run them on the best fuel available and warm them up/cool them down, and they will keep on running
No issues with head gaskets, very few go on these unless mega miles.

Tony
Old 05 April 2010, 09:06 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

personal experience would be to change the uper and lower rad hoses for new ones if they are not silicon already due to the age of the car, silicon hoses are cheaper that genuine ones from subaru and then keep an eye on the radiator end cap on the drivers side as that is the popular failure point. Apart from that as previously said the piston slap on V4 should disappear after 30 secs on a cold engine.
Old 06 April 2010, 08:25 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smo_GSR
Thanks for the comments fella - obviously my biggest concern with this car is that there is no previous history (such as cambelt). However I plan to do the usual checks such as oil level/condition etc.

Make sure I hear it start from cold and brakes in a straight line. So far the seller has been a great bloke and sent any and all pictures I have requested so I'm not terribly worried.

As for the MAF issue I'm assuming the best way to test this would be to dip the clutch during normal driving and expect the revs to drop to and sit at around 900/1k?
Most Jap imports wont come with loads of history. My brothers STi 4 was bought from a import centre and all he got was the V5 the MOT cetificate and the keys. Same as my STi Version 6 come with the same, But as long as its serviced properly when you get it and give it a oil, filter, spark plugs change, which I would do to any new second hand car you purchase.

Regarding the price of that STi Version 4, My modified STi Version 6 is for sale at the moment got 85k miles on the clock got it for sale in the "For sale section" on here for 4,800 o.n.o!!!
Old 06 April 2010, 08:45 AM
JonnyA
Scooby Regular

Get it undersealed if you intend to keep it.
Old 06 April 2010, 09:40 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonnyA
Get it undersealed if you intend to keep it.
Mine goes off the road winter time. The salt off the roads batters cars, not just underneath but wheels, paintwork the lot. Prefer to wrap it up in a warm garage!!! Sad I know!!!
Old 07 April 2010, 10:58 PM
Smo_GSR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys - your knowledge is invaluable. The car will be undersealed straight away if I go ahead and buy the car. I will also replace the radiator hoses as suggested, change the oil and the plugs.

Is there anywhere that lists the standard specification of the V4 STi? I've searched all over the internet and so far in vain - I'm interested in exactly what kind of turbo, gear ratios, injector sizes etc. All the technical stuff!

I also read about a rather controversial method of changing the oil involving removing a sensor?

Forgive my ignorance but this is my first Impreza so I'm not familiar with them, however I am competent so I won't need someone holding my hand - just a point in the right direction.

Cheers!
Old 08 April 2010, 11:06 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys - your knowledge is invaluable. The car will be undersealed straight away if I go ahead and buy the car. I will also replace the radiator hoses as suggested, change the oil and the plugs.

Is there anywhere that lists the standard specification of the V4 STi? I've searched all over the internet and so far in vain - I'm interested in exactly what kind of turbo, gear ratios, injector sizes etc. All the technical stuff!

I also read about a rather controversial method of changing the oil involving removing a sensor?

Forgive my ignorance but this is my first Impreza so I'm not familiar with them, however I am competent so I won't need someone holding my hand - just a point in the right direction.

Cheers!

Think the turbo is a VF24??? injectors size are 440cc. power wise I think they where around 280bhp standard. Cant help you with gear ratio's im affraid, Just going from my brothers V4 STi.

If your anywhere near the west midlands im sure my brother wouldnt mind showing you, taking you out in his V4 STi.
Old 08 April 2010, 04:15 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Cheers!
You disconnect the crank position sensor, remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over for 15-30 secs after filling with new oil, this is supposed to prime the oil system to prevent crank failure. Some do some don't its a matter of preference but for the sake of 5 minutes work it may save you in the long run.

Not sure on the tubby but the injectors will be 440 yellows, IIRC the gear ratio will be the same as the other models of the same year unless it's a limited edition with shorter ratios.

If you get the chassis number and do a search on that you will be able to find out more about which specific model you are looking at. It should be something like JF1GC8