Sponsored by:

STI newcomer needs advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2010, 11:47 PM
bigboysti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI newcomer needs advice please

Alright guys getting rid of my 240 bhp Mondeo ST220 and getting a black 04 sti. I would appreciate any advice regarding how much it would cost to get the performance up to 300 bhp and still be reliable. I am used to spending stupid amounts of money on upgrading cars but this is my first 4x4 turbo car. I was thinking about going to Revolution in Gateshead and talking to them. Picking the car up a week today any help or advice would be appreciated thanks.
Old 04 April 2010, 11:52 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Welcome bigboy lol.

As you can imagine this sort of question has been asked hundreds of times however....

A full stainless exhaust system, decat downpipe, uprated panel filter, uprated fuel pump and then a remap usually see's 330+ bhp.
This costs less than 1k if the exhaust parts are bought 2nd hand.
Old 04 April 2010, 11:55 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Should be easy enough from a base Blobeye STI.

Panel Filter
High Capacity fuel pump (not essential, but recommended)
Decent Remap

The above mods should see you nudge just past the 300bhp mark. From there you can start to think about the Exhaust system. A fully decated exhaust on top of the above could see you get around 330-340bhp.
Old 05 April 2010, 12:57 AM
bigboysti
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply guys really appreciate it. Gonna keep it standard for a few months just to get used to how different it will handle to a fwd car. Definetley going to get so prodrive pff7's or replicas but not sure whether to go with the black or gold?
Old 05 April 2010, 01:03 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PPP is 305ps when fitted to these cars, you wont need that though as your car is most likely out of warranty so a custom remap is your best bet.
You can quite happily take these cars to 400+bhp on the standard internals, it requires a few more things doing (injectors and a new turbo for example) so 300bhp isnt really killing them (considering that the JDM STI's push between 310-320bhp out of the box).

Tony
Old 05 April 2010, 01:08 AM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Have you already sourced the car or is that the car your after? If the latter then find one with PPP which will have around 300 bhp (well 301 to be precise but they don't always make what prodrive claim) although a custom remap is better than PPP so not a must.

Aaron
Old 05 April 2010, 01:10 AM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

And what Tony said
Old 05 April 2010, 09:35 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got an sti, i would make friends with your local petrol station you wil be there quite often! put exhaust,panel filter remap on mine running about 320 ish bhp cost £900 mine had ppp fitted already though
Old 05 April 2010, 10:09 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

300 hp is easy and cheap after that start hiding the recipts from the misis lol
imho centre section pump and good map easy 300
Old 05 April 2010, 10:40 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Revolution are a top bunch of ppl too! I made a 300 mile round trip to get my wheels and suspension sorted there.
Old 05 April 2010, 12:14 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigboysti
Thanks for the reply guys really appreciate it. Gonna keep it standard for a few months just to get used to how different it will handle to a fwd car. Definetley going to get so prodrive pff7's or replicas but not sure whether to go with the black or gold?
Keep it gold

next, on a road car with spirited driving you don't need to go above 330 - 350 bhp. I have been through this whole thing before.

Basically you can do the following while keeping it all fairly standard and do them step by step as funds allow (prices below are estimates and can of course vary).

1) Get a new fuel pump - c£100
2) Remap - c£400
3) New panel filter - c£20 - £40

This can get you near to 300bhp. If you like keep. If not do below

4) New exhaust system like Miltek 3" with centre sport cat for c£500 - 900
5) Remap again

This will get you 320 - 350 bhp and about 300 - 340 torque. This is all you really need for fast road (once you start though you probably won't want to stop).

Next with this increase in power and to get the all round package you should sort you breaks, handling and suspension.

6) New Brake pads and disc all rounds - £600 - £1000 depending on which you choose
7) Brake hose upgrade c£70

If still want more stopping power

7) Upgrade calipers to AP Racing, Ksport or similar - £600 - 2000+ depending if you do just front or front and rear and which kits you choose. You can usually combine with 6) above to save more money.

Next sort general handling

8) Realignment - £100 - £200
9) droplinks, anti lift kit and rear anti roll bar - c£300

If you still want a bit more then..

10) New suspension/drop the car a bit too £600 - £2000 depending.

The above will give you a complete fast road car that has all round good driving capability. You can stop at what ever level you feel is good enough and it keeps the car all pretty standard. No new turbo, injectors, intercooler, etc.
Old 05 April 2010, 12:49 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

If the car has low mileage and has been treated well, IMHO you don't need to do anything other than a remap open source if you want, there a few guys on here with standard cars running 300 bhp after a good map. You don't always need to spend loads of your hard earned cash. All the above mentioned mods can be a good for the car but not totally necessary.
Old 06 April 2010, 07:30 PM
bigboysti
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your replys especially Reano very detailed. Going to pick the car up tommorow and I was wanting some advice about fuelling, if I run it on normal unleaded would it not be advisable because at the end of the day its a performance car. I was also thinking about getting a uprated fuel pump if the standard one could possibly bore wash the engine. I have 2 young kids now so 90% of my driving will be sensible so I dont think the engine will be under any kind of pressure. I am also a little worried about cooling the turbo down at the end of the drive are turbo timers really necessary could I drive the last mile of the journey off boost.
Old 08 April 2010, 01:18 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

You can run on normal unleaded if your absolutely sure you not going to push it but I wouldn't. Go with shell vpower or tesco 99 and if that not close to hand you could do super unleaded from the other petrol stations if you need to fill up quick. Turbo timers not necessary for new-age but still ensure your last few minutes of your journey is run off boost.

Remember most things are not necessary. It's not necessary to even own a scooby ;-)