Sponsored by:

gizzmo launch control

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2010, 06:54 PM
clfsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gizzmo launch control

has anyone used one of these ? as ive been thinking of getting one is it bad for the car? the clutch i can live with any info would be great
Old 01 April 2010, 06:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sensible - that's why Subaru have it on all their cars ....
oh, hang on - they don't! I wonder why?
Old 01 April 2010, 07:35 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

They dont have it on there cars as there cars are sold as road cars and it would just be extra money to the buyer. It is very good and if set up correct very usful. Just look at pslewis location (OLD CODGERS HOME) says it all. You dont need to use it, but its always there if you need it...
Old 01 April 2010, 09:34 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

PLEASE READ THIS before you decide if you want to fit gizzmo. It was suggested to me last year that i have gizzmo fitted to my 04 blob sti. the car had been converted to twin scroll, few other bits and a re-map by Pat, and was running a nice 345/345. I was planning to enter into scoobysprint for a bit of weekend fun, and as I didnt have launch and couldnt flat shift on the Ecutek back then, it sounded like a good idea.I paid up and had it fitted. I then had 3 weeks where i practised 3 launches and a dozon flat shifts from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd gear. All seemed ok.I then left it so a to preserve the life of the clutch. Then i took the car to scoobyclinic for a rolling road day only for Pat to discover a drop in power and compression leakage. The dyno results also showed a flatting out in torque. We then removed gizzmo, had a compression and leak-test to find that we now have 30% drop in compression in 2 cylinders, which we can only put down to bent exhaust valves. The car is still drivable, but again it was suggested that I "dont drive it too much". I have spoke to gizzmo UK and they say its nothing to do with there equipment, but they now dont provide these to any UK outlet. This may have changed since the telephone conversation I had with them though. I am now saving up to have the engine out, strip and fix. PLEASE dont fit it..
Old 01 April 2010, 09:45 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry for being possibly ignorant, but how would the gizzmo have bent your valves? As far as I was concerned, all it did was cut the ignition?
Old 01 April 2010, 09:45 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f4la k
They dont have it on there cars as there cars are sold as road cars and it would just be extra money to the buyer. It is very good and if set up correct very usful. Just look at pslewis location (OLD CODGERS HOME) says it all. You dont need to use it, but its always there if you need it...
There's no need for launch control systems on a road car, they aren't needed.

I've got the best launch control system for a road car, they are commonly known as my feet.
Old 02 April 2010, 02:20 AM
Scooby Jonni
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Sorry for being possibly ignorant, but how would the gizzmo have bent your valves? As far as I was concerned, all it did was cut the ignition?
The only thing I can think of is because it's a wasted spark engine. Unburned fuel left over from the compression stroke could be igniting during the exhaust stroke damaging the open exhaust valves

Last edited by Scooby Jonni; 02 April 2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02 April 2010, 09:47 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

why on earth would you need to fit launch control? Next you will be asking us about auto pilot!
Old 02 April 2010, 01:47 PM
si-thee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
they induce a mis-fire and it proper fu@ks your engine, dont do it save up and have car mapped with launch
Old 02 April 2010, 08:29 PM
clfsti
Scooby Regular

Default launch control

i can't see how a misfire did that to your engine im not sayin it didn't just how ? i see how pre ignition can do damage but not no ignition if you had a plug down it would not **** up your engine would it ?
also can i get launch and flat shift on my normal ecu ? or are you talking about a new one being fitted ? and as for auto pilot don't be a stupid we tune our cars to go faster cause thats wot we like and if i can make positive boost at a stand still this will make me fast of the mark right and also make my launches consistent which can't be a bad thing for the strip but not at the expence of my engine if that was the case .