Sponsored by:

New tax rates come in today

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2010, 08:51 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tax rates come in today

£750 tax in the first year for a new STI, then £425 a year thereafter - on top of 120p+ a litre for fuel. I'm going to keep my 2004 STI PPP (when I finally get it back from its epic three month respray), only £245 a year.

On the positive side the VW Golf I have on order to use for my commute will be free in the first year and £20 a year after that.
Old 01 April 2010, 09:15 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is getting to the point where it is economic stupidity to buy a new Impreza/Subaru now.

We are surely witnessing the end of the gas guzzling high performance 'everyday' cars ...
Old 01 April 2010, 09:18 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

thought this might help the confusion

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524
Old 01 April 2010, 10:02 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

What we've got to look forward to is the end of high performance cars and then they'll have to hike tax on normal cars.. We can then drive around in crap cars and pay high tax! Brilliant!
Old 01 April 2010, 10:10 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ive already been forced out of my Impreza due to ridiculous VED rises and rocketing fuel prices but fortunately my new car is every bit as quick as my impreza was but is half the cost to run (for now)
Old 01 April 2010, 10:47 AM
matt2000
Scooby Regular

It's beyond a joke. I've never known the roads to be in such a poor condition as they are now. Thing is there is no law stating the revenue from road tax/petrol has to be spent on the roads. I wouldn't mind so much if public transport was better and more affordable, but it's ****. I live on a RAF base and closest town is about ten miles away. We get 2 buses a day. Train cost me £104 to get from Northallerton to Merthyr Tydfil, that was one way. I could drive there and back in the car with four passengers for £50!
Old 01 April 2010, 11:12 AM
MrTeddyEars
Scooby Regular

I am sick and tired of this government and its onslaught on cars really is it me but I do get the feeling that if it puts a smile on your face then we are taxed until we cry.

My hawkeye thank god falls into band K as its registered on the 16th of March 2006 but what happens if yours is on the 24th of march you fit in both bands does that mean you pay over £600 pounds.

I love my Scooby its great to drive and its the one release from alot of the bull**** life throws at me and these crooks in power really want to end it not just for me but for everyone else (except the rich).

Its only people like you and I who are going to pay this and feel the pain of it each month.

So the only choice you have is to not waste your vote !!!

Or maybe arrange a meet in Westminster where we all happen to break down and bring the centre of London to a stand still. Would be a great use of the CCTV and watch the wasters in the MET get all uppity about things.

Lets face it if this is the end for sports cars then lets go out with a shout not a whimper.

I for 1 will not drive around in some German built (because the EU says it must be German) **** box that runs on kidney bean juice and is the proscribed government colour.

Sorry about the rant I will get off my soap box now

Last edited by MrTeddyEars; 01 April 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01 April 2010, 11:20 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Germans don't make **** box cars do they
Old 01 April 2010, 11:26 AM
MrTeddyEars
Scooby Regular

I think its a new brand thats been created but is till part of the famous Sh1tbox_EU parliament
Old 01 April 2010, 12:02 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Ive already been forced out of my Impreza due to ridiculous VED rises and rocketing fuel prices but fortunately my new car is every bit as quick as my impreza was but is half the cost to run (for now)
So, a stock 535d is as quick as a 350/380 spec c. Where do I sign........
Old 01 April 2010, 01:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrTeddyEars

So the only choice you have is to not waste your vote !!!
And a change of Government will reverse things?

Smell the coffee .... the Tories brought in the fuel tax escalator remember, they will introduce it again - a certain % above inflation.

Remember that they will up VAT to 20% too!
Old 01 April 2010, 01:18 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
What we've got to look forward to is the end of high performance cars and then they'll have to hike tax on normal cars.. We can then drive around in crap cars and pay high tax! Brilliant!
Spot on. If the government was serious that high tax on cars was for the good of the environment then they would be prepared to hypothecate the revenue or save it so when we all switch to efficient cars they can do with out the money. While they continue to just lump it in with general revenues we just know that as soon as there are fewer gas-guzzlers to tax to the hilt they will hike the tax on our new fuel-efficient cars. The whole thing stinks.
Old 01 April 2010, 01:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It is a valuable income stream for the government, it must remain or we lose our schools and hospitals ... luckily, it is an optional tax.

You choose whether the car you drive is worth what it costs you .... it is starting to be madness to own a new Impreza.

There are plenty of options which are as fast, better equiped, much cheaper to buy and cheaper to tax and fuel .....
Old 01 April 2010, 01:53 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It is a valuable income stream for the government, it must remain or we lose our schools and hospitals ... luckily, it is an optional tax.

You choose whether the car you drive is worth what it costs you .... it is starting to be madness to own a new Impreza.

There are plenty of options which are as fast, better equiped, much cheaper to buy and cheaper to tax and fuel .....
The point is that this isn't how the tax is justified - the politicians claim it is a necessary evil to save the planet. We all know this is intellectually unjustifiable while they spend the revenue as if it was any other tax because as soon as enough of us switch to less heavily taxed cars they will have to find some other way to gouge the money from us.

With any tax that claims to be aiming to change behaviour the only honest thing to do is to spend the revenue on long-term investments or short-term schemes to mitigate the effects of the unchanged behaviour so you don't need the money when it does change.
Old 01 April 2010, 01:59 PM
MrTeddyEars
Scooby Regular

I didnt say vote tories what I said is dont waste your vote if not just sit back and let them stick it you.

if you think back to the fuel blockades by the framers and HGV drivers it did change things.

As they say united we stand divided we fall.

Still I think its all pants and probably the end of new Subaru for a while anyhow where are those plane tickets out of here

Do you think the hawkeye will fit in hand luggage ?
Old 01 April 2010, 01:59 PM
MrTeddyEars
Scooby Regular

I didnt say vote tories what I said is dont waste your vote if not just sit back and let them stick it you.

if you think back to the fuel blockades by the framers and HGV drivers it did change things.

As they say united we stand divided we fall.

Still I think its all pants and probably the end of new Subaru for a while anyhow where are those plane tickets out of here

Do you think the hawkeye will fit in hand luggage ?
Old 01 April 2010, 02:05 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Why not join the ABD (only £12 per year). They are about the only organisation left fighting for the motorist! http://www.abd.org.uk
I'd rather give them £12 per year than the thousands we give to the goverment in exchange for nothing back except pot holes, conjestion and every increasing motoring costs!
Old 01 April 2010, 02:29 PM
More_Boost
Scooby Regular

Gordon Brown should have the decency to wear a mask,he rob's the motorist blind and blames it on the enviroment,sooner this unelected muppet disapears the better I will feel.