tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just aquired a Ver 5 STi wagon.

My first scoob, just bought it.

It's stock as a rock but I like it.

I like it a lot.

Just thought I'd say Hi.

I live in the South Manchester area, so will be looking for a good mechanic/shop soon.

Not looking to mod the hell out of it but will probably do the 'zaust and put a high flow air filter in. Also some nicer wheels.

My other car is an R33 Skyline so that is already a money pit you see.
Old 27 March 2010, 10:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
A few pointers you NEED shell v power in this car (octane booster is also advisable if you have no visible knock detector like a knocklink or KS3 knock analyser, yes and buy a KS3 too ).
Maf sensors are weak and dont like anything but the stock air system, you may get away with a panel filter but not an oiled one, that kills maf sensors which kill your engine
If you decat or modify the Version 5/6 STI's its highly advisable to get them remapped, it can lead to other issues later on if you dont

Tony
Old 27 March 2010, 10:12 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony,

Yah I was gonna fill it up with the highest RON stuff I could find which I guess is Shell V power from what you say.

Car is pure stock so no visible knock readout.

Is a remap easy does it have to go on a dyno?

Hey quick one: does my STi wagon have the same engine and running gear as the 2 and 4 door ones?
Old 27 March 2010, 11:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes same engine, gearbox etc as the 4 door, 2 door gearbox is dccd so slightly different.
Remap will set you back about 600 quid, there are a few mappers in the north west or you can travel further afield to people like Bob Rawle, Richard Bulmer, JGM etc.

Tony
Old 28 March 2010, 05:55 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id certainly fit a KnockLink or a DetAlarm (if these are still available Rupert?).
Old 28 March 2010, 08:49 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Is it easier just to get a PowerFC with commander unit?

Just get it tuned and it has the knock display on it?
Old 28 March 2010, 11:18 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Is it easier just to get a PowerFC with commander unit?

Just get it tuned and it has the knock display on it?
The good thing about the power fc is it'll be worth what you paid for it (if you buy 2nd hand) when you come to sell. Also you'll have (if you get the Hand Commander) real time info on screen such as boost, knock, inj duty cycle, water temp etc etc

with ecutek you're throwing money away for the licence.
Old 28 March 2010, 05:25 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

A fine choice. As Tony says same drivetrain and brakes as the 4 door STi and P1. Parts are easy to source too with the P1 connection. Little bit heavier, but the weights at the right end and the bodyshell is (apparently) stiffer. Had mine for 2 and a bit years as a daily driver, done 105k!

Don't know what has been done to mine map wise - was imported from new and figured if it hasn't blown up yet its probably alright. ECU looks totally normal and not sure what was available in '99. I guess your choice is really down to how far do you want to go with the car?
Old 28 March 2010, 06:09 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [-(o)-]
A fine choice. As Tony says same drivetrain and brakes as the 4 door STi and P1. Parts are easy to source too with the P1 connection. Little bit heavier, but the weights at the right end and the bodyshell is (apparently) stiffer. Had mine for 2 and a bit years as a daily driver, done 105k!

Don't know what has been done to mine map wise - was imported from new and figured if it hasn't blown up yet its probably alright. ECU looks totally normal and not sure what was available in '99. I guess your choice is really down to how far do you want to go with the car?
Yeah I was wondering about the weight and couldn't find any info. I'm guessing it is a 'bit' heavier than the 4 and 2 door, but otoh it doesn't have a massive spoiler.

I was reading on the net that that ver 5 STi wagon makes less power than the 2 ad 4 doors? I am kind of hoping this is not true or if it is then it is just running less boost with the same everything else.

No real plans. Can probably see a turbo back 3" system and ECU remap or PowerFC tune as all I want to do power wise.