Sponsored by:

Test drove an RB320

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2010, 06:52 PM
szd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove an RB320

I've just come back from test driving an RB320, was impressed with the ride, quality etc, however it didn't really feel as I thought it would (first test drive of any scooby). I had a few opportunities to accelerate hard but when I did it didn't really feel that fast, it does need a service and was hesitant occasionally - dealer said it needs new spark plugs.

I've had a seat leon cupra R in the past, and now have a clio 182, I was expecting a lot more in terms of pure power, could it just need a good service? or something more serious? The car looks in really good condition otherwise.

I was expecting to be pushed back in my seat under acceleration - but wasn't, I'm hopefully gonna go for another test drive tomorrow and take a friend to get another opinion.
Old 27 March 2010, 06:58 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I test drove 3 hawkeye sti's today, all felt pretty slow compared to my old 470 bhp classic, but a lot more refined.
Old 27 March 2010, 07:04 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
I test drove 3 hawkeye sti's today, all felt pretty slow compared to my old 470 bhp classic, but a lot more refined.
They are bound to feel slow compared to 470bhp
Old 27 March 2010, 07:26 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Guess so They certainly felt like a different animal to to a classic, in a good way too.
Old 27 March 2010, 07:27 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Did they have rear arches on them aswell jon lol..Take me with you jon ill get a huge discount 100%

Last edited by BIG FUD; 27 March 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 27 March 2010, 07:36 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

they may feel slow but they are not. the lazy 2.5 is a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing, hit the first 4 gears hard up to say 5.5k then look at the speedo before hitting 5th gear.
Old 27 March 2010, 07:42 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by BIG FUD
Did they have rear arches on them aswell jon lol..Take me with you jon ill get a huge discount 100%
If I could understand what you are on about Fud, I may actually laugh

Actually I could have done with your negotiating skills today as I nearly bagged an 07 plate STi with 24k on the clock, but the stealership wouldn't budge the extra £150 on the price - oh well, their loss.

Are you Omid Dajalili?
Old 27 March 2010, 07:43 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old 'it needs new plugs' line - if its that simple then the dealer should have sorted it before placing on the forecourt.
If really interested in it then get them to sort the hesitancy before another test drive.
Old 27 March 2010, 07:51 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Talking oh dear...

No jon i dont do football as for arches was on about ya green classic but joke as passed time to move on As for buying from a dealership what's on ya mind you lost 1000s on ya classic now you want to do in on a new age ?

More money than sense comes to mind. Tell me what you are after and ill give you a better service than a subaru garage .

Last edited by BIG FUD; 27 March 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 27 March 2010, 08:18 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
The old 'it needs new plugs' line - if its that simple then the dealer should have sorted it before placing on the forecourt.
If really interested in it then get them to sort the hesitancy before another test drive.

Good point above !

Why don't you see if you can test drive a Sti with ppp as the power delivery should be the same, but the handling will be different as the RB320 has different shocks springs and set up. There shouldn't be any hesitation tho
Old 27 March 2010, 08:25 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by BIG FUD
No jon i dont do football as for arches was on about ya green classic but joke as passed time to move on As for buying from a dealership what's on ya mind you lost 1000s on ya classic now you want to do in on a new age ?

More money than sense comes to mind. Tell me what you are after and ill give you a better service than a subaru garage .
Football??!?! eh? - Omid Dajalili is the bloke off the Money supermarket adverts who likes to haggle.

Fud, have you tried using punctuation before, it would make reading your posts an awful lot easier, try it ("LoL" is not punctuation)

I got the arches reference - you sir are a comedy god

I wouldn't buy a car from you after your comedy PM's. I can also remenber you posting not so long ago about how you had lost big bucks on several cars you have owned I had my fun out of the car & it was time to move on, I could have broken it for parts but I could not be arsed with the grief.

If you wish to continue this convo, take it to PM, thanks.
Old 27 March 2010, 08:30 PM
szd
Scooby Newbie

Cheers, thanks for the replies, they did have a PPP'd STI, so will ask to test that as well.

It's also a good point about if they knew the plugs needed changing why they haven't done it already!
Old 27 March 2010, 08:45 PM
Vesuvio
Scooby Regular

Think I know what you're feeling mate.

Similar thing happened to me when I first test drove my STi ppp. Coming from an Accord Type R I was expecting to get blasted away by the sheer "turbo thrust of hell", but was left almost underwhelmed due to those silly expectations. I decided to bite the bullet and go for the car anyway and I'm glad I did, because after numerous encounters with my friend's breathing-modded 350Z, against which my Scooby comfortably pulled away from both from a standing and rolling start, I realized it was actually much quicker than I first gave it credit for, and the more I drive it the more I'm impressed.

I'd say drive another and give yourself another chance to become accustomed to the power delivery.
Old 27 March 2010, 08:47 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RB320 has the Prodrive btw.

There could be any number of reason it felt less than you expected, not least the fact that these scoobs have an expectation that is impossible to live upto.

I have a mapped SpecD and it flies and it has been sitting for a 12 month, plugs my ****

Standard STi's are disappointing, but I bought mine on potential rather than face value
Old 27 March 2010, 08:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by szd
I've just come back from test driving an RB320, was impressed with the ride, quality etc, however it didn't really feel as I thought it would (first test drive of any scooby).

I've had a seat leon cupra R in the past, and now have a clio 182. I was expecting to be pushed back in my seat under acceleration - but wasn't, I'm hopefully gonna go for another test drive tomorrow and take a friend to get another opinion.
The "spark plugs" line is bollocks. As has been said, if they needed doing they'd have been done, and besides, NGK double platinum plugs last fecking years, and invariably still have loads of life in them if changed at recommended service intervals. Ditto the possible Denso alternatives.

The hesitancy may be a clue to some sort of problem that may also be sapping the power a bit, so driving another PPP car might be informative. If it did turn out that the other car was better though, I'd not touch the RB320 until the dealer had identified whatever the reason may be and demonstrated that it's fixed.

However, it's also possible that your expectations are a little unrealistic given that you're comparing the RB320, at just over 300bhp and nearly 1500kg with a FWD car weighing around 1100. There's not very much in it as far as ultimate power to weight ratio is concerned, and add in the Clio's revvy normally aspirated power delivery and the RB320's much torquier, more flexible character and in terms of "feel", there will be quite a difference.

Last edited by Splitpin; 27 March 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 27 March 2010, 09:53 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Plus another thing - the 182's up to a ton, punch well above their weight - far more than the supposed figures suggest. Had many 172 and 182 inc 2 Trophy - they are very quick indeed, so if you were expecting a massive difference then i'm afraid you wnt get one mate.

As others have said, the refinement hides the sensation of speed.
Old 27 March 2010, 10:00 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

classic to hawkeye
the classic will feel faster at the same speeds than the newage
dont be fooled, read the dials
Old 27 March 2010, 10:03 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

i no what you mean buddy i test drove my mates rb320 and thought the same it didnt feel as sharp as my 270/270 mapped 99 classic but now also own a blob sti ppp which feels louds sharper than the rb320 i just put it down to the 2 litre been not so lazy earlier on in the rev range cus the 2.5 litre are louds more torquey on paper. but i must admit with the rb the speedo did climb quick even though it didnt feel it if you no what i mean. people on here say a standard sti ppp arnt that quick but mine flies so maybe its not ppp i dont no really all i can say is its quick , it could of been remapped i dont no will have to get it on the rolling road . test drive the other one and see what you think good look.
Old 27 March 2010, 10:58 PM
kennyc
Scooby Regular

Is it from a Subaru dealer? Should not be running a car for test drives if not 100% - get it serviced, repaired then put it on the forecourt
Old 27 March 2010, 11:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Needs Spark Plugs

Then wouldn't move £150 .....

I would move on if I was you ...
Old 28 March 2010, 12:55 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a sti spec c if you've come from a clio 182 as they are quicker then the rb320's the power delivery pushes you back in your seat and they have much stronger engines good for 420bhp with a bot on turbo not to mention 100kg lighter !
Old 28 March 2010, 01:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I must admit ... I have been driving other cars with a view to change ... but, nothing has given me the feeling I get with the 10 year old Classic sitting on my drive - losing zero in depreciation .......... even a WRX-S, which I quite liked, wallowed in the breeze - it really was like the steering wheel wasn't attched to the wheels Weird, really weird.

If that where Subaru is now, I am looking at Mazda6 ... vRS ... Insignia VXR ... but - and this is the hard part - I want a Subaru again! Don't ask me why - maybe it's now in my genes?

Maybe the 2011 WRX, when it looks like the STi, may tickle my fancy?
Old 28 March 2010, 07:45 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

i was a little underwhelmed when i first drove the gb270 but after living with it for 9 months it does move a lot faster than what it feels like its going.I am hoping that its first service in my ownershio tomorrow will give it a new lease of life.

i was a passenger in a sorted seat k1 today running about 370 hp and that left me in no doubt that my scooby is pretty tame in comparison, This K1 is an absolute animal but i got the impression it would eat itself as i have never felt GRUNT like this thing had, with the turbo chattering away and the wheels spinning up at every opportunity i had genuine fears for my life
Old 28 March 2010, 08:07 PM
Scooby Senior

You need a remap Sid
Old 28 March 2010, 09:23 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

do you reckon? why is that , i definatley can tell the increase since playing with a dump valve for a month or two, but i guess i have got used to 270 hp, i would like to go and get a exhaust and bigger turbo and get it up to around 340hp but i think the wife would go through the feckin roof, i am trying to convince her we need an evo 9 at the moment rather than spend a heap on the scoob.......dont think it will happen though, the petrol increases have taken any spare cash i had left and i only get to drive the car weekends now really
Old 28 March 2010, 09:57 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gtisid
do you reckon? why is that , i definatley can tell the increase since playing with a dump valve for a month or two, but i guess i have got used to 270 hp, i would like to go and get a exhaust and bigger turbo and get it up to around 340hp but i think the wife would go through the feckin roof, i am trying to convince her we need an evo 9 at the moment rather than spend a heap on the scoob.......dont think it will happen though, the petrol increases have taken any spare cash i had left and i only get to drive the car weekends now really
Forget the wife, the gearbox would go first!
Old 28 March 2010, 10:30 PM
Scooby Senior

Lol, Remap what you have and you would get much more power through the power band. PPP is headline figures, remapping is all the fun under the graph ! You're only 100 yards from my house, anytime you wanna ride shotgun give me a knock
Old 29 March 2010, 05:09 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

An RB320 is 4 seconds faster to 100 than a Clio 182 Cup and that's a long way. Either there is something wrong with the 320 or its refinement is masking the true feeling of the speed attained.
Old 29 March 2010, 08:18 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It wouldn't be 4 seconds, 2 seconds at most. 4 seconds would be half the track at santa-pod
Trev

Last edited by trevsjwood; 29 March 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 29 March 2010, 08:41 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Its even better...

RB320 12.2 secs
Cup 16.9 secs

Quick Reply: Test drove an RB320