ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru WRX STi's and trackdays?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2010, 09:14 AM
carlos420uk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru WRX STi's and trackdays?

Hi, not been a member for long and am currently reasearching on here before I buy my first Scooby in the next month or so. The car is to be used at weekends and on trackdays every now and then (Probably 4 a year or so)

At the moment I have a modified civic type r running 245bhp on coilovers etc, and I can safely say that I can drive it to a trackday, throw it around all day, and then drive it back home without it even breaking a sweat. During my ownership of the car it hasn't really cost me a penny in repair bills either, only general servicing costs.

So my question is, how many of you track your Scoobys and / or dive them hard at weekends regularly etc. How does the car seem to stand up to this in general wear and tear terms? Can I expect a Scooby to stand up to the same sort of usage as my type r can, providing its serviced and maintained well?

I am looking at getting a spec c, or uk my05 sti with ppp and low miles. Reason for wanting a change of car is basically the 4wd, Turbo / Tunability vs the na setup I have now and extra torque that goes with it also...

Its just a bit scary reading all the blown engine and stripped gearbox threads on the various Scooby forums. I don't want to get rid of my current car to end up with regular problems because of the type of useage I want the car for. I need something that can handle a bit of stick, but at the same time I do drive with mechanical sympathy and don't do silly launches / clutch dumps etc...Am I getting the right car?

Carlos

Last edited by carlos420uk; 27 March 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 27 March 2010, 10:21 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

The problem with scoobies that their in a different league to the civic, so three will be more things to maintain more regularly, but I cant see why not there are loads of people on here that track their car and use them as an every day car
Old 27 March 2010, 10:30 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi,

1. Quite heavy. I added Performance Friction disc & pads to mine.
2. 4WD can make them less fun than a RWD car with similar power.
3. Try and pick a JDM STI if you can, capable of more performance before swapping turbos, etc.
4. Enjoy ! BUT only 6 mpg on track....

IMHO

dunx

P.P.S. Mine was a std. road car when this shot was taken. Thanks James !

Last edited by dunx; 27 March 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 27 March 2010, 10:41 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Is that day light I can see under the rear nearside tyre
Old 27 March 2010, 10:42 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Out of the 2 cars that you have mentioned, the Spec C is the more track biased car and would be most peoples choice.
Old 27 March 2010, 10:43 AM
lotusilan
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 STi mapped at 337bhp and use it pretty much only on track, bought in December and has 2 track days under its belt already this year with 3rd booked for April and 4th booked for July. Previously I had a highly tuned Focus RS which was probably a little better on track due to the huge AP's and fully adjustable coilovers I had on it but its close considering the STi has nothing but a remap and some 2 piece front discs. The difference you feel with the awd compared to fwd is massive, and going from a n/a car to turbo will also have you begging for more.

Old 27 March 2010, 10:45 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Seriously, dont bother.

They are massively expensive to run, If I did it again I'd buy a cheap M3 or hot hatch, yeah possibly slower but truthfully its about getting the most out of what you drive and having fun......

Yeah Scoobs can be made fast, but heres a typical rundown just for one trackday (approx 200 track miles)

Entry 150ish
Fuel £150ish (I take 6-7 jerry cans, but have to take it easy in the afto usually)
Tyres £150 (approx wear possibly last 3-4 trackdays if very lucky)
Brakes/Fliuds £100

Plus seperate car to fit all the crap in because you cant fit another set of wheels and all the jerrycans in the scoob.

I reckon my running costs would halve if I picked something else...............

Dont get me wrong the scoob is great but there are better choices IMHO.

Old 27 March 2010, 10:55 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Fantastic pis there mate where they done professionally ??
The difference in the suspension is great on the first it looks like the cars ready to take off the second looks like it trying to wear out the flaps
Old 27 March 2010, 11:00 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I have a reliable 03STi track car with extensive mods that is for sale. Reason for sale is pretty much explained by 172sport's post above. Now gone for a kit car with trailer for track.
Old 27 March 2010, 11:51 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Is that day light I can see under the rear nearside tyre

but look what it's doing to the front tyre.....

(was better after adding 5 psi all round )

dunx
Old 27 March 2010, 12:00 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
The problem with scoobies that their in a different league to the civic, so three will be more things to maintain more regularly, but I cant see why not there are loads of people on here that track their car and use them as an every day car

Indeed - mine has been daily driver up until very recently.

First thing is that you will notice the std brakes will fade.

- cure is decent lines, fluid and probably pads (performance friction Z rated pads would be my suggestion)

Secondly you will notice tyre wear - obviously using the right tyres at the right pressure helps this but getting geometry set up properly will minimise it (lots of differing opinions on these but I love 888 for the grip alone and they last well). I did all of time attack, a couple of track days and a trip to the ring last year on one set of 888's - there is no reason for them not to last well if you do the above and have a driving style that does not overwork them. Going into corners too fast causes the biggest issue with scrubbing the outside edges - this is not the quickest way around a track IMO.

Thirdly - think carefully about fitting loud exhausts - noise tests are getting stricter and not being allowed on the track or being chucked off is no fun. Nurspec is not the right choice in that respect.

Finally - use good oil and change it often. It gets worked very hard on a track day and change after (or before) every day. If you use the sticky 888's then think about oil surge and find a solution for that.

This list is short - there are loads of other things that you can do but loads of info in the project threads here that talk about issues and people's actual solutions to the issues be that breathing, oil cooling, engine cooling, brakes etc.
Old 27 March 2010, 12:10 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

i find mine very good value
used for track days on 888's
and regular hard road use
also 30-130 day
always driven to and from track
Old 27 March 2010, 01:09 PM
carlos420uk
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replys. Mixed opinions on this one then. Suprising to hear the standard brembo's fade, but as mentioned lines, fluid and some decent pads would sort that.

So basically it's gonna use more fuel, and be harder on tyres and brakes. Should I expect any problems regarding engine (would fit a baffled sump before track use) or gearbox from doing trackdays? Or are they generally solid as long as they are serviced regularly and not heavily modified?
Old 27 March 2010, 01:27 PM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

Gearbox's depend on what model/year you have mate.

Fit a 6 speed and it'll take 400 bhp plus all day long.

Limit on a standard classic box is around 320-340 BEFORE YOU RUN THE RISK OF BREAKING IT.
Old 27 March 2010, 01:48 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos420uk
Thanks for all the replys. Mixed opinions on this one then. Suprising to hear the standard brembo's fade, but as mentioned lines, fluid and some decent pads would sort that.

So basically it's gonna use more fuel, and be harder on tyres and brakes. Should I expect any problems regarding engine (would fit a baffled sump before track use) or gearbox from doing trackdays? Or are they generally solid as long as they are serviced regularly and not heavily modified?
BREMBO's are only standard on Newage STi's. Later model Classic JDM WRX/ JDM STi's/UK Turbo and the Newage WRX get 4 pots.

If it's general fun you want then lesser powerd FWD/RWD cars are cheaper and just as good. Even a well set up MX-5 can be had for a fraction of Scooby Track car ownership. EVO's are even more expensive.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 27 March 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 27 March 2010, 05:48 PM
carlos420uk
Scooby Newbie

Well it would be a newage scooby anyway so I assume that it will have the 6 speed box anyway. So when people say about the breaks fading do they mean on the classics not newage. Are the MY05 cars and spec c's 6 pot Brembos or 4 pot?

So basically if I did the following things to a newage scooby it should be fine for a bit of trouble free track use and fast road driving:-

Front mounted oil cooler
Baffled sump
Braided lines and RBF600 fluid
Uprated pads and possibly disks
Coilovers and camber adjusters
Toyo 888's
Plenty of engine / gear and diff oil changes (Every 2-3k miles or so)

In all honestly I have all the above on my current car (apart from the oil cooler) and change gear and engine oil every 2-3k anyway, so high maintenence is something that I am used to already really.

Do the scoobys come with camber adjustment from the factory or do you have to get camber arms / bolts?
Old 27 March 2010, 08:10 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Well it would be a newage scooby anyway so I assume that it will have the 6 speed box anyway. So when people say about the breaks fading do they mean on the classics not newage. Are the MY05 cars and spec c's 6 pot Brembos or 4 pot?

So basically if I did the following things to a newage scooby it should be fine for a bit of trouble free track use and fast road driving:-

Front mounted oil cooler
Baffled sump
Braided lines and RBF600 fluid
Uprated pads and possibly disks
Coilovers and camber adjusters
Toyo 888's
Plenty of engine / gear and diff oil changes (Every 2-3k miles or so)

In all honestly I have all the above on my current car (apart from the oil cooler) and change gear and engine oil every 2-3k anyway, so high maintenence is something that I am used to already really.

Do the scoobys come with camber adjustment from the factory or do you have to get camber arms / bolts?

That all sounds good to me
Camber adjustment only on the front but can be added to the back with camber bolts, I think their about £40 or so.
Old 27 March 2010, 08:10 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, forgot they suffer bad fuel surge, a swirl pot and external pump is a must........