TYRE ADVICE PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 08:15 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TYRE ADVICE PLEASE

Hi Guys

Not long after i bought my scooby i put on a set of new alloys and TOYO T1R tyres and now 2.5 years on the fronts are pretty much worn out maybe 2mm left but the rears have at least 4-5mm left
so my question is

why have the fronts worn quicker than the rears??
do i just replace the front 2 or all of them??

ta for any replies

Nick.
Old 25 March 2010, 08:17 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Fronts always wear more than the backs that's why it is wise to swap them over after a period of time.
Should be ok to replace the fronts as long as they are the same.
Old 25 March 2010, 08:20 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers Doc

i was thinkin of putting on falkens(452)as they have good feedback on here plus they are cheaper
do you think that will be ok??

Nick
Old 25 March 2010, 08:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic scooby
why have the fronts worn quicker than the rears??
Because the front tyres bear more of the car's weight and do the steering, as well as more of the braking.

do i just replace the front 2 or all of them??
If you were being **** you'd replace all four to keep the rolling diameters equal and give the centre diff an easier time, but in practice you should be fine just replacing the fronts.

What you normally should do is swap the tyres from front to back occasionally, thereby equalising the wear and getting them all into replacement window at the same time.

If your fronts are low but still comfortably legal you could swap them now and get some more mileage prior to replacing all four.

Incidentally at some point you might start to wonder why the tyres on the left hand side of the car are a little more worn than those on the right. The reason is because the tyres on the left hand side of your car travel further than the ones on the right. And no, I'm not joking - think about it.

If possible you'd swap tyres from front to back and left to right to equalise wear, but with most of the tyres you'll tend to find on an Impreza this isn't possible given that they tend to be directional.
Old 25 March 2010, 08:28 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks Splitpin
funny you should say that about the tyre wear because i noticed that earlier when lookin at them,i'll take your advice and swap them over to get a bit more wear out of them
one thing i did notice on the rears though was they were starting to crack slightly in between the tread
anything to worry about??

cheers
Nick.
Old 25 March 2010, 08:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic scooby
one thing i did notice on the rears though was they were starting to crack slightly in between the tread
anything to worry about??
Yikes, pass. Without seeing exactly what you mean it's impossible to comment on things like that, given we're talking about a safety-critical component.

If in doubt pop down to your local tyre fitter and get an opinion.

If they're good and you swap them, as above just check for a rotation direction arrow or left/right/inner/outer markings on the sidewalls prior to swapping. Mounting a directional or asymmetric tyre "backwards" tends to do their wet weather grip no favours - and, so I've recently been told, is now an MOT failure item.
Old 25 March 2010, 08:39 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks again

I was planning on popping round to my local tyre fitter tomorrow anyway to get some quotes so i'll get them to check them out.

great advice
many thanks

Nick.
Old 26 March 2010, 12:29 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Quote: "Incidentally at some point you might start to wonder why the tyres on the left hand side of the car are a little more worn than those on the right. The reason is because the tyres on the left hand side of your car travel further than the ones on the right. And no, I'm not joking - think about it" .

Last edited by tim's wrx; 26 March 2010 at 12:30 AM.