Sponsored by:

STI 7 WRX Squealing Brakes Report and starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2002, 02:10 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Did this a little while ago and quiet a few of you STI 7 Drivers replied that you had the same problem.
I have just rung Subaru Head Office technical and told them of my new brakes high pitch squealing at low speeds and nearly always in reverse.
They said no one else has rung up and reported it but will mention it tomorrow in their weekly meeting.
So if your one of the many who replied on my last post a few weeks back with the same problem please ring them and report it on 0121 522 2000 and ask for Subaru Technical.

Also if you have the starting problems from cold get your Subaru dealer to do the book checks on the Coolant temperature sensor and the Cam/angle sensor and not to rely on their diagnostic check as this doesn't check these items.

[Edited by mccltd - 3/25/2002 3:08:41 PM]
Old 25 March 2002, 03:09 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Let me know if you have reported it aswell.
Old 25 March 2002, 05:18 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Yes, will do. Mine is still doing it, this last few days more so than ever.

Cold start, not really a problem. When I fire her up first thing in the morning, it does seem to start up with any enthusiasm, but leave it (i.e. dont press the big pedal) for 2 seconds and it's fine. Just that first second or so, it sounds like it is never going to keep alive.... Then it's fine.

I find idle speed a bit erratic whether hot or cold.

All that said though, I gotta get the squeeling brakes sorted out. So annoying....

Will call them tomorrow, first thing.

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 March 2002, 05:28 PM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mine's not the STi but my WRX 02 has the same brake squeal as yours, I will take it up with my dealer at the service this weekend and I'll let Scoob UK know later this week.

As for starting, I've had a couple of occasions from cold where it sounds like it will never start then springs into life. If it continues I'll have to get them to address that as well.

Neil
Sussex
Old 25 March 2002, 06:04 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

My MY02 has just started to squeal as well. I'll ask them to look at the 1k service, but isn't it just the pads bedding in?
Old 25 March 2002, 06:07 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Never did it on my last scooby. The STi has nearly 2000 miles now. No signs of it getting any better. Forwards and backwards, but much louder in reverse...

Simon
Old 25 March 2002, 06:12 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Is the squeek from the front or rear?
Old 25 March 2002, 06:20 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Difficult to tell, but if I was a gambling man, I would say rear. It is so high pitch, you really can't tell which end it is coming from.

Strange how it seems to be many of the WRX 02 cars as well as the STi UK 02. Seemingly different brakes with similar symtoms. I wonder if the pads being used are of the same material/manufacture.???

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 March 2002, 08:10 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

My 02 WRX rears do it. '01 didn't.
Took it for 1k service today and it hadn't done it for 2 days so I forgot to mention it.
As I got home it started again.....!
Old 25 March 2002, 08:16 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Mine squeals as well when reversing, I suspect mine is from rear. Does squeak a little when driving slowly forward. Mine also a MY02 though I had a similar squeak on my MY99 during the summer months

Yorkie
Old 25 March 2002, 08:21 PM
Boxer
Scooby Regular

Guys, have you tried getting a bit of speed on an empty stretch with no cars behind you and slamming the brakes? By "slamming" I mean applying a sudden firm pressure application, as if it were an emergency braking situation. Try doing this a few times, it worked for my STI.
Old 25 March 2002, 09:13 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Talking

It worked for me too.
The other problem is you may be warping the discs, but this should straighten again next hard run.
But definately bed the pads in properly.
J
Old 25 March 2002, 10:41 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Mine only did this very briefly (MY02 WRX 5 door). A couple of 'strong' stops sorted it out. But, my wife's Renault Scénic does it all the bl**dy time. Drives me nuts. Tried half a dozen emergency stops from 70 - mashing the pedal until the ABS is going mad and the bulkhead feels like it's giving way, and it's 'nearly' cured. Gotta be the way to go....
Old 26 March 2002, 03:24 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

I had the starting problems and the brake problem when i first had my MY01. Subaru put some copper ease on them and bang!!! Solved the problem. As for the starting problems, before i switched the car off in the night i let it idle for about 1-2mins. That seemed to solve the problem. But now nearly a year latter after ive had new discs the sqeeky sound has started again when i reverse.

Scrappy
Old 26 March 2002, 09:14 AM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

My MY01 did not squeel, the STi7 does.

Ho Hum. I have no doubt if it is important we will be told!!
Old 26 March 2002, 09:28 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

New discs already Scrappy? How many miles have you done?
Old 26 March 2002, 09:31 AM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Well it seems alot of you have the squealing problem.(Ring them and make them aware)
I spoke with my local garage who said they will remove the brakes and file them down a little then put the copper grease on.
They are saying it's because asbestos cant be used in them any more.
This method of sorting it doesn't seem right to me, I think they ought to look into using different brake pads.
I dont hear other makes of cars with squealing brakes, not a car that costs of 27 grand any way.

[Edited by mccltd - 3/26/2002 9:32:08 AM]
Old 26 March 2002, 10:20 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

My STI only does it in reverse when the car has either just been washed or has been travelling on very wet roads and then put straight into the garage. In the dry I never have a problem and do not have the squeal at all when driving forwards.

I now think this is a dampness issue, where the pads are absorbing moisture or the rotors are oxidised (rust). Cars that are not garaged seem to suffer the most. It has only happened to me once this week when reversing out of the garage the morning after washing the car.

When it happens it is rather loud to say the least. It makes 5am starts somewhat interesting.

Ken
Old 26 March 2002, 11:23 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Ken - that's the exact description of the one occasion that my MY02 WRX did the brake squeal. You're right, I'm sure it's moisture on the pads, causing a slight, temporary oxidisation - seemingly on the rear discs.
Old 27 March 2002, 02:37 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Harry..
Ive done around 30 K miles already and ive only had the dam thing for a year and a month. What can i say, i love driving. :-)

Scrappy
Old 27 March 2002, 07:53 AM
nraponi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the noise when reversing also - although luckily not when going forward (yet).

The comment about it happening when they are wet is interesting - in my old MY00 whenever the brakes got very wet (i.e. after washing or heavy rain) if the car was left standing for a while then the brakes would "bind" (i.e. its as if they were locked on - it took some force the release them and they "banged" as they came undone). This car had the Prodrive pads (DS?????)

It happened last week on the STi after its first wash too - I wonder if they're related?

Nick
Old 27 March 2002, 07:54 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

i get the same on my rb5.
this is with new pads and they did the same with old ones as well.
will get dealer to look at it in couple of months when i get a service.

jas
Old 27 March 2002, 09:40 AM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

The wet theory doesn't work for me, as yesterday I cleaned the car and hosed down the brakes, I didn't get one squeal all the way to work.
Maybe I can re run the water spray system to my brakes, then when they start squealing I can just push the button and soak them.
Also my car is garaged at night.
Must admit though, the car is getting even more looks now the squeal draws attention from everyone.
Old 27 March 2002, 09:43 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

mccltd

Top idea re. redirecting water to brakes Love to see you stop though.

Simon
Old 27 March 2002, 01:08 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

I also asked my dealer if oiling them would work.. Yeah right.
Old 27 March 2002, 01:25 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Red face

LOL, maybe we should try bycycle brakes, rubber blocks...
Old 27 March 2002, 01:38 PM
Lardy Bloke
Scooby Regular

I've found that if they squeak, they just need a smidge of lard to lubricate them. WOrks every time.

LB
Old 28 March 2002, 11:59 AM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Just a follow up on this brake squeal problem on my MY02 WRX. After speaking to Subaru Technical and my dealer apparently IM Tech rang them straight away and looked into the problem. This is a known issue with the old shape as they released an updated shim kit to get round the problem. Also the pads were changed towards the end of the old shape life with less metal content.

The updated kits should fit the new shape so they've sent that down to the dealer and this will be fitted on Saturday during the 1K service. If that doesn't work they will change the pads for the 'new' mix and see if that helps. I'll post another update as to the progress on this.

Just shows that it pays to take it up with the dealer and IM Technical

Neil
Sussex
Old 28 March 2002, 03:40 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

I have just spoken with Subaru tech and with reference to Divecon's post they state that the upgrade will not fit.
They are taken the squealing problem up with Bembro as they are the manufactuers of the brakes on the WRX STI.
Old 29 March 2002, 08:10 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info update, guess i'll wait and see now what the crack is with Brembo.

I am away for a week so when I get back, maybe the STi's will have been recalled. He he, wishfull thinking!!

Cheers

Simon

Quick Reply: STI 7 WRX Squealing Brakes Report and starting problems