ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just fitted new spoiler and brake light full of condensation

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2010, 06:34 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Angry Just fitted new spoiler and brake light full of condensation

Yesterday got my new STi 8 spoiler fitted which was purchased from a well known supplier on here (not a cheap ebay special)

The quality of the unpainted item was not fantastic, as the guy from the body shop where I took it pointed out. I wasn't really expecting an OEM quality item for the money so I told him to do his best and paint and fit it. Cost me an additional £50 for the extra prep work required.

Picked the car up yesterday morning and as it was raining pretty much all day didn't have the chance to have a good look at the fitted item.

Went out to clean the car today and noticed that the brake light is full of condensation.

Not a happy chap at all, I am going to email the supplier and ask for a replacement brake light to be sent out today, however I'm pretty sure that this will mean removing and refitting the spoiler to replace the brake light, which I will probably end up having to pay for.

Anyone had similar problems and can give me any advice..
Old 21 March 2010, 06:41 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yer i think mine has got a tiny bit in.think you going get in this weather.tis a pain if you wanna remove it taking spoiler off etc.i had couple leaks on mine from the cable that secures it to the boot..cue loads silicone.hope it dont course you problems,,it shouldnt should it??think the leds will be sealeed it probaly just on the outer cover
Old 21 March 2010, 07:01 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

you car looks great, black wheels a nice touch.

take the light unit out, clean and dry it then some clear sillicone sealant will do the trick
Old 21 March 2010, 07:06 PM
scoobzal
Scooby Regular

looking good mate
Old 21 March 2010, 07:07 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

i would consult whoever sold it you..if you going start taking spoiler off again etc you may as well get a replacement.if it same make as mine the wire is connected to original loom and i think would be pain in *** job.plus if it was new the unit should have been dry anyhow.personaly im going live with the tiny bit i got on mine.it dry in the warmer weather and doesnt affect the lights itslef
Old 21 March 2010, 07:22 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Its an easy enough job to remove but you could do with some one to help you but you can get away with doing it your self.

A number of bolts to remove and unplug the brake light which should be on your tailgate hinge.

Hope this helps.
Old 21 March 2010, 10:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That looks like a typical aftermarket light, held in with two screws. You ought to be able to undo the screws, and pull it out, after undoing the connector near the hinge.
BUT: you need to drag a bit of rope/string/wire through after it and leave that in place in order to refit the light.
To dry it, place it with any holes uppermost in an airing cupboard, on top of the boiler etc for about 24 hours.

If you want to be sure of no condensation, place it in the freezer for another 24 hours before refitting. No I'm NOT joking: driest place in the house
Old 21 March 2010, 11:48 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I had same problem with mine, tried drying it out with heat, also re sealed with silicon, still couldn't get it to seal, however the supplier has sent me a new brake light foc, so can't really complain, after looking at the new one, I am going to change the grommet for one with a better fit and still use clear silicon on it, hopefully that should stop it.
Old 22 March 2010, 08:19 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
That looks like a typical aftermarket light, held in with two screws. You ought to be able to undo the screws, and pull it out, after undoing the connector near the hinge.
BUT: you need to drag a bit of rope/string/wire through after it and leave that in place in order to refit the light.
I think I will give them a ring and see if they will provide a replacement brake light, it is the type with the 2 screws in so shouldn't be that hard to replace myself.

If the supplier doesn't wasnt to know, it's name and shame time...
I certainly don't expect that kind of problem with something brand new.
Old 22 March 2010, 10:06 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I have this problem too, sealed it with sikoflex and most of the condensation is gone. The problem is the units aren't made that well so an ammount of water can get in. Not to mention the x2 screws started to rust now! Went to screw fix and got some stainless screws of the same dimentions!
Old 22 March 2010, 02:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL, I was going to mention stainless screws, always worth it.
I use Araldite for sealing stuff like this, permanent and easy to use.