Sponsored by:

mods for a uk turbo

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2010, 08:50 PM
green scooby sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods for a uk turbo

Im wanting to start gaining bhp !!! the car is near enough standard apart from cat back magnex system and forge dump valve !!! What mods should i be looking at ??
Old 14 March 2010, 08:56 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

how far do you want to go?

decat downpipe, induction kit & remap. should see you to 280hp ish
Old 14 March 2010, 09:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Be careful matey. These cars DO NOT appreciate induction kits unless you are running MAF-less, and you get better results, and a safer engine, using a decent panel filter. Ditch the dumpvalve, which adds nothing except an annoying noise, and can destroy your engine, go back to a standard recirc type. Your engine will love you and will run better too.

Look at a full decat if you can sort the MoT, many refit the original at MoT time

Depending on what model you have and what year, a remap is not easy and in at least one model, not possible AT ALL without an aftermarket ecu.

Why not think about the brakes? What does it have now? If it's pre-99 it will have 2-pots at the front, get some 4 pots and discs, or one of Godspeeds kits and some 4-pots and BIGGER discs for better stopping power. Then fit Whiteline droplinks all round, a 22mm rear arb and have the geometry set up. It won't be any more powerful, but you'll go quicker point to point
Old 14 March 2010, 09:08 PM
green scooby sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Be careful matey. These cars DO NOT appreciate induction kits unless you are running MAF-less, and you get better results, and a safer engine, using a decent panel filter. Ditch the dumpvalve, which adds nothing except an annoying noise, and can destroy your engine, go back to a standard recirc type. Your engine will love you and will run better too.

Look at a full decat if you can sort the MoT, many refit the original at MoT time

Depending on what model you have and what year, a remap is not easy and in at least one model, not possible AT ALL without an aftermarket ecu.

Why not think about the brakes? What does it have now? If it's pre-99 it will have 2-pots at the front, get some 4 pots and discs, or one of Godspeeds kits and some 4-pots and BIGGER discs for better stopping power. Then fit Whiteline droplinks all round, a 22mm rear arb and have the geometry set up. It won't be any more powerful, but you'll go quicker point to point

its a 99 t plate matey, already decided im gonna go down the panel filter route, Already got 4pots matey and fummily enough just fitted godspeed kevlar pads
Old 14 March 2010, 11:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, brakes should be fine, panel filter will NOT kill the MAF, ditch the BOV and go back to a recirc one, then look at the suspension mods and maybe a full decat.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:28 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

First mods I did to mine: STi Panel Filter, Samco intercooler Y Pipe, Dawes Device, full decat and AE800 ECU, oh and a HKS SSQY DV

Check your ECU code as AE800 is the best one and cheap upgrade if not already on the car.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:48 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

MY00 uk, engine wise H&S decat downpipe with integral splitter, prodrive back box std center cat passes mot every time. silcone hose set for the intercooler and a tek 3 by bob rawle 282 bhp 336 ft lbs still with the td04. Get back to a proper recirc dumpvalve.

Set of godspeed 335 discs up front plus goodridge hose set, eibach springs.

And a set of P1 17" alloys

Does for me
Old 15 March 2010, 04:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Similar did for me until I blew it up last summer.....going for more power now
Old 15 March 2010, 04:38 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i also own a my99 t reg uk turbo and have basic mods so far eg panel filter de cat sti intercooler and forge dump valve and have found it breathes a lot better giving it better performance for not a lot of cash. i dont know what everyone has against dump valves i,ve owned 2 impreza turbos both with dv,s and have had no issues whatsoever with them. saving for a remap next to make the most of the mods so far. im only going for around 300bhp as in my opinion its a nice but safe power figure to run on this model.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:01 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget a uprated fuel pump like Walbro or a JDM V5/6 STI/WRX Classic pump can be had cheaper when people ditch them. As said already, brakes and suspension will make you quicker point to point straight away. A re-map will be a real eye opener.

Your pushing the gearbox/clutch on a UK Classic beyond 280ish BHP.

Agree with the ditching of the chav valve too.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:12 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

I found the best mod for my 98UK was to sell it and get a WRX Type RA
Old 15 March 2010, 06:45 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zippy!
i also own a my99 t reg uk turbo and have basic mods so far eg panel filter de cat sti intercooler and forge dump valve and have found it breathes a lot better giving it better performance for not a lot of cash. i dont know what everyone has against dump valves i,ve owned 2 impreza turbos both with dv,s and have had no issues whatsoever with them. saving for a remap next to make the most of the mods so far. im only going for around 300bhp as in my opinion its a nice but safe power figure to run on this model.
You will need a bigger turbo to get to 300bhp. 280bhp is generally the limit for the standard TD04.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:51 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

The gearbox on the 99/00 uk cars is alot stronger than previous models and can cope with over 300bhp, it all depends how you drive it. If your gonna do qtr mile starts all the time then yes your gearbox will break in no time.

If I were spending on a Uk car then I would buy....
VF35 turbo
Newage STi TMIC
Full decat exhaust
Ported headers and uppipe
Green panel filter
Fuel pressure regulator
Walbro fuel pump
Ecutek remap

Should see upto 340bhp with the above mods, most of which can be had second hand off this forum.

Last edited by Marx Mcrae; 15 March 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:59 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

As Alcazar has said, you would be wise to sort your suspension too.
Eibach are probably the best lowering springs you can put on an impreza, together with Whiteline droplinks, anti lift kit and a 22mm anti roll bar.
Would be a very quick road car!!
Old 15 March 2010, 07:04 PM
New_scooby_04

The most pertinent question here is how much do you want to spend.

If less than 2k. Get a sports cat DP and centre section, decent panel filter, uprated fuel pump and Simtek ECU.

Two reasons for going for Simtek over an Ecutek remap:

1) You loose the maf, which is a potential engine killer on the MY99
2) The Simtek is a much better solution in terms of driveability than Ecutek remap on a classic, not least because with simtek you get in gear boost control and loose the s*itty emissions related boost cut nonsense that can't be mapped out of the standard ECU. You'll get a better map all around.

If you don't want to start spending heaps, leave it there - it'll be a nice car for not too much wogna! Beyond that it gets expensive to do properly. Been there, done that!

My car's spec:

VF35 turbo
Uprated hoses
Hybrid FMIC - better idea than a TMIC on a classic
Dump valve delete
Ninja Sports decat exhaust DP, Haywood and Scott centre pipe and backbox
Ported headers
Walbro fuel pump
550cc injectors
Simtek ECU

Transmission Std, but uprated Exedy organic clutch. Std one won't last at that level. Also be aware that gearbox longevity not assured at this level

Suspension: Eibach coilovers
Wheels: 17 inch Oz Ultraleggeras
Brakes: AP six pots

Car is now "complete" (and that's what you want) at this level, but it wasn't cheap! If people apprach me asking for ways to improve performance on a budget, I always say: stop at stage one. Everything else about the car is comfortable at that level; go beyond that and you have to start thinking more extensive mods to do things properly

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 15 March 2010 at 07:15 PM.