Anyone got/tried a VI Monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2010, 09:01 AM
fatboy_coach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got/tried a VI Monitor?

Hi,

Anyone tried one of these? VI Monitor - OBDII performance monitor, car performance datalogging & car diagnostics for OBD2 port | VI - Virtual Instrumentation

Looks quite good but I'm not sure how user friendly or readable they are. Had a PSI3 in my Classic and loved it, but they're rare as now.

TIA

Ian
Old 02 March 2010, 09:04 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

They don't work in late Classics. Cannon Fodders as an S202 and it does not work in that either. However it worked in his UK WRX Hawkeye
Old 02 March 2010, 09:10 AM
fatboy_coach
Scooby Regular

Ok, sorry forgot to say I now have a Bugeye. I notice this doesn't seem to give you the boost value, making it pretty useless!
Old 02 March 2010, 11:15 AM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I've been looking into these and will be interested to see what sort of replies you get here because its difficult to find any reviews at all on the product. However there is a decent You tube review to give you an idea of how usable the unit is here...

YouTube - VI Performance Monitor - Car Tuning Performance & Diagnostics - PART 1
YouTube - VI Performance Monitor - Car Tuning Performance & Diagnostics - PART 2

I was considering a PSI3 monitor (but they're difficult to come by) and stumbled upon this Vi Mon. It looks great but all the info is a little vague. The manufacturers website says up to 15 parameters are displayable on 3 individually customisable displays but always quotes the caveat that exactly what is available is dependant on your car. As someone already said there is no specific mention of boost pressure.

Looks like a great toy and would be interested to hear how the info content measures up against the PSI3 as it has a good reputation but is no longer available (dont know why). This actually raises the question of how long the manufacturer of Vi Monitor will be about to support it in the medium term.

Pricing is also widely varied. Like from £350 from Scoobyworld right down to £170 at one online retailer. However the bulk of outlets are selling at app £240. Quite a price tag for a toy. I think £150 is a take a chance - cant be that bad price tag but £250 would take a bit more consideration.

Would like to see one in the flesh for a hands on - slim chance of that!
Old 02 March 2010, 11:17 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

i have one in my hawkeye and think its a great pice of kit .Its really user frienldy not difficult at all.
Old 02 March 2010, 11:33 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Geds
Actually I've been looking into these and will be interested to see what sort of replies you get here because its difficult to find any reviews at all on the product. However there is a decent You tube review to give you an idea of how usable the unit is here...

YouTube - VI Performance Monitor - Car Tuning Performance & Diagnostics - PART 1
YouTube - VI Performance Monitor - Car Tuning Performance & Diagnostics - PART 2

I was considering a PSI3 monitor (but they're difficult to come by) and stumbled upon this Vi Mon. It looks great but all the info is a little vague. The manufacturers website says up to 15 parameters are displayable on 3 individually customisable displays but always quotes the caveat that exactly what is available is dependant on your car. As someone already said there is no specific mention of boost pressure.

Looks like a great toy and would be interested to hear how the info content measures up against the PSI3 as it has a good reputation but is no longer available (dont know why). This actually raises the question of how long the manufacturer of Vi Monitor will be about to support it in the medium term.

Pricing is also widely varied. Like from £350 from Scoobyworld right down to £170 at one online retailer. However the bulk of outlets are selling at app £240. Quite a price tag for a toy. I think £150 is a take a chance - cant be that bad price tag but £250 would take a bit more consideration.

Would like to see one in the flesh for a hands on - slim chance of that!
It's easy to use, touch screen and the best way to describe it is a Car Sat Nav that's really a monitor. Simple plug and play.

But, if it does not work in your car and you phone them then it's a bit "Tuff titty matey!" and that's not user friendly.
Old 02 March 2010, 01:17 PM
fatboy_coach
Scooby Regular

Bushiwarrior - does it show boost pressure? This is what I used to use my PSI3 for on my old car.

Geds - if you buy one direct they're doing 3 months interest free credit, but it's at 240GBP.

Trending Topics

Old 02 March 2010, 01:30 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Best Price on web £170 - And so different to Scoobyworld its almost hard to believe. I haven't checked this sites reputation and would recomend they be checked out before buying at such a low price!!

FR&R Tuning| ECU Remapping| Stage 1, 2 & 3 Performance Upgrades - VI monitor performance monitoring, datalogging and diagnostics - (Powered by CubeCart)
Old 02 March 2010, 01:38 PM
fatboy_coach
Scooby Regular

I saw that too and thought the same as you, they do remapping for 300GBP!

That's why I thought about buying direct for 80 quid a month.
Old 02 March 2010, 02:46 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatboy_coach
Bushiwarrior - does it show boost pressure? This is what I used to use my PSI3 for on my old car.

Geds - if you buy one direct they're doing 3 months interest free credit, but it's at 240GBP.
not boost pressure mate but manifold pressure,spark ignition.coolant temp air intake temp,g meter and loads more like dyno runs all recordable
Old 02 March 2010, 04:02 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
not boost pressure mate but manifold pressure,spark ignition.coolant temp air intake temp,g meter and loads more like dyno runs all recordable
That's not a problem. Just stick a single guage pod on the pillar for boost. Nice to have there anyway. then stick this gadget in front of the centre air vents for the rest++. Better looking and more to play with than a triple guage pod on top.

I might get one direct as fatboy suggests - at least sure of reputable supplier. That'll be the cash I was planning on using to replace my blown head unit. Might not have a radio but at least I'll have stats
Old 02 March 2010, 06:50 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
It's easy to use, touch screen and the best way to describe it is a Car Sat Nav that's really a monitor. Simple plug and play.

But, if it does not work in your car and you phone them then it's a bit "Tuff titty matey!" and that's not user friendly.
That is more or less the response I got from Armor Automotive on the phone and by e-mail - to be exact they stated "It is Subaru's fault as they did not adopt the full OBDII protocols fully until around 2004 and even though you may have the OBDII port it will not work with the VI Monitor".

When I then e-mailed them back on two further occasions they did not even bother to respond, the customer service from Armor is pants to say the least.

If it works with your car then it is not a bad piece of kit but what I have now is in effect a USB memory store with a display.

I might sell mine if anyone is interested.
Old 02 March 2010, 08:44 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
That is more or less the response I got from Armor Automotive on the phone and by e-mail - to be exact they stated "It is Subaru's fault as they did not adopt the full OBDII protocols fully until around 2004 and even though you may have the OBDII port it will not work with the VI Monitor".

When I then e-mailed them back on two further occasions they did not even bother to respond, the customer service from Armor is pants to say the least.

If it works with your car then it is not a bad piece of kit but what I have now is in effect a USB memory store with a display.

I might sell mine if anyone is interested.
That's defo poor customer service. And tbh would put me off buying a product from them just coz of that. Customers should b valued. Might consider a second hand unit - much would u b lukin?
Old 02 March 2010, 08:47 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

scangauge is a good piece of kit too and reads error codes
ps these are around £100