should i change from VAg to scooby

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2010, 12:20 AM
vRSy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i change from VAg to scooby

hey up guys sprog forum member here.

currently a member of the VAg tuning scene. this is my wheels at the moment. made a solid 280hp 333Ibft on Dyno dynamics rollers(made 310 dynojet rollers) now the engine is a s maxed out as possible on the standard turbo and if i want more i can swap to a k04 turbo and make 350Hp but ill be down about £3500.

Now the plan is rather than change the turbo to get the power i want, ill instead get myself an impreza with a base line perfomance of 280ish Bhp.

on the VAg scene tuning is done in 4 stages

stage 1- remap no other mods(240hp)
stage 2- full exhaust system, intake, stage 2 map(260hp)
stage 2+-full exhaust,intake,fmic,fuel pump,discharge charge pipes(280hp)
stage 3- all the abpve and turbo upgrades

what is the deal with tuning the impreza, and what impreza would be best for my needs.

I want a base HP around 280ish. and i want it to be tunable to around the 330-360 margin with full exhaust system and intake. Is this realistic??

what are the tuning stages for the imprezas. im open to pretty much all models of impreza

however im also considering an S3 which will tune to 360 hp with just an intake, exhaust, fuel pump and remap

apologies for the long post

cheers for you help guys. any info or links welcome
Old 20 February 2010, 12:33 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

First thing a simple answer is YES

all the money you have spent to get to what a impreza is standard for me I don't see the point. Not to sure what you mean by S3 But the best thing to do is pop up your budget and we will gladly help you from there also 360 bhp is a nice figure and makes a more than capable road car, also dependant on budget you could quiet easily pick up one alteady spec'd if yo are willing to wait
Old 20 February 2010, 01:01 AM
vRSy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stevie1982
First thing a simple answer is YES

all the money you have spent to get to what a impreza is standard for me I don't see the point. Not to sure what you mean by S3 But the best thing to do is pop up your budget and we will gladly help you from there also 360 bhp is a nice figure and makes a more than capable road car, also dependant on budget you could quiet easily pick up one alteady spec'd if yo are willing to wait

Audi S3, 4wd TFSI (same engine as my vRS but with larger turbo) with stage 2+ remap, Fuel pump, exhaust will remap to 360HP 360Ibft. (for about £2000)

but ive always wanted an Impreza

my budget will be about 8-10K for the car and all mods, Id want chassis work as well there. or at least the ARBs beefed up.
Old 20 February 2010, 01:45 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ok I see where you are comming from with the Audi but it will still be an Audi a3 not in my opinion in the same group as an impreza
or evo etc. For 8-10k you will find a well sorted 2dr type R with mods I.e better brakes, suspension, exterior mods as well as some tidy engine work with any luck a 2.5ltr and 6speed fitted all set up, I did albeit a 4dr sti 5 running just shy of 500bhp 440lb so they can be had and will pi55 all over a 360bhp s3
Old 20 February 2010, 02:24 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

For 8-10k you could consider the 2.0 Blobeye STI which as standard has about 265bhp.
An exhaust with sports cat and remap should easily see you into 330bhp.

But you could go for the newer and better looking more torquey 2.5 hawkeye, but 10k may not get you an STI so you might have to settle for a WRX.
But a remap and exhaust on that will see you into approximately 290bhp/305lbs!!
Stick a bigger turbo and the car will easily hit 350bhp!!
Old 20 February 2010, 07:55 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the 'for sale' section on here and you'll find a few cars that fit your budget.

One thing to remember is that whilst the power maybe similar, the way it puts it to the road will be very different, especially in the lower gears (1-3), you'll not struggle for traction and won't be getting torque steer.

A nicely prepared newage STI should be what you're looking for IMO. You should get something nice - 360bhp+ for £10k. Maybe a nice blobeye.

Make sure you look for a car that has been well prepared though. I'm sure you know your stuff, you'll want suspension mods, brakes etc etc.

Good luck
Old 20 February 2010, 08:11 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

New style S3 any day of the week for me over an Impreza

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2010, 09:05 AM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

impreza all the way you will get a nice blob eye sti between 8-10k or even better a classic P1 for that money . And as for the Audi as someone already said its the way the power is put down for instance Audi TT 225 Quatro 0-60 in 6.6. Impreza WRx wagon(blobeye) 221bhp standard 0-60 in 5.9
Old 20 February 2010, 11:50 AM
vRSy
Scooby Newbie

chees guys

to be honest 0-60 IMO opinion is pub talk, im more interesed in in gear accelleration. At the moment my car once rolling is a lot quicker than my old work mates bug eye STI, and i have no problem keeping with the new Focus RS. That said, my traction off the line is diabolical with full power almost impossible until high revs 2nd, low 3rd.

my in gear times from a performance box are
30-50 = 1.6 secs (in 2nd gear)(traction issues)
30-70 = 4.1 secs (in just 3rd gear)
50-100 = 7.7 secs (in just 4th gear)

hence the reason looking for an impreza. the way the power goes down will make the difference for me though, as once over 320HP its going to be ridiculous to put power down in my scrabble drive even with an LSD and all the other chassis mods.

For 8-10k you could consider the 2.0 Blobeye STI which as standard has about 265bhp.An exhaust with sports cat and remap should easily see you into 330bhp
that is the sort of thing i was after to be honest 330Hp will be just about right for me. im more into my track days than my 1/4 miles so outright power isnt a big thing

ive read on some of the perfomance sights about fuel pump/injector upgrades, when are these required, and can the std Intercooler cope with the extra power

A nicely prepared newage STI should be what you're looking for IMO. You should get something nice - 360bhp+ for £10k. Maybe a nice blobeye.Make sure you look for a car that has been well prepared though. I'm sure you know your stuff, you'll want suspension mods, brakes etc etc.
suspension/brake mods are probably even more important for me.

im not to offay with the ARB setups on a 4wd car. i know on a FWD car a stiffer rear ARB will reduce understeer, so its always good practise to increase the stiffness of them both but more so on the rear. Im running the whiteline anti lift kit which i rate, i believe they are popular on the impreza as well.

Braking-
on my FWD im running a bbk on the front only as 85% of the braking is done on the front of the car.
what brakes are standard on the STI and how do they hold up to a day on track and also what is the brake bias on a 4wd.

cheers guys
Old 20 February 2010, 11:51 AM
vRSy
Scooby Newbie

who are the most rated tuners for these as well.
Old 20 February 2010, 12:15 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

On a Newage STi using the OE Pink Injectors, you can see anywhere up to 380bhp at standard fuel pressure. For road use, the Newage STi top mount will suffice up to 420bhp and beyond. At that sort of level though, a FMIC will have it's benefits.

Handling wise would be an uprated rear ARB and possibly a front ARB, solid droplinks if needed and anti-lift kit. All this followed by a good geometry set-up and good choice of rubber. If you wanted to firm the ride up a bit, just change the springs to eibachs or similar. This would be you sort of stage 1 on handling, without looking at changing the struts.

Brakes..... do it once and do it right. AP's or Alcons up front. But this all depends on what you really want and your intended use. Keep the standard Brembo's at the rear. Obviously coversion kits for the front can be brought and the one of the better ones is the Performance Friction disk/bell & pad combination (utilising the OE Brembo Calipers).

Loads of tuners on Scoobynet and people will have different views on each.
Old 20 February 2010, 12:22 PM
vRSy
Scooby Newbie

nice one mate, ive noticed the BBKs are cheaper for the impreza than for the VAg range of cars. BBKs are all way above the 1500 mark. a friend of mine has alcons on his GTI and they are phonominal so id definately look into that.

just change the springs to eibachs or similar. This would be you sort of stage 1 on handling, without looking at changing the struts.
TBH i wouldnt change the springs without changing the dampers TBH. ill probably settle for coilovers once i have a scope around and see what is highly rated.

Is the suspension on the Impreza camber adjustable front and rear??
Old 20 February 2010, 12:31 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Too long since I have had OE Newage Struts, so not sure on the maximum allowed for camber adjustment, but you can buy camber bolts for circa £20 that apparantly allow for up to 1.75 degs adjustment either way, front and rear.
Old 20 February 2010, 03:22 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

on a 2005 sti I stuck on an induction kit, bigger fuel pump, full 3 inch decat and a couple of samco / perrin silicone bits and after it was mapped (with 10% methanol in the fuel I had 370 bhp 360 lbs-ft of torque all on standard internals turbo intercooler etc etc

I then changed the turbo to a MD321T+ fitted a fuel pressure regulator (to 3.5 bar at idle) and a set of 800cc injectors, again on standard block and intercooler and i saw 450bhp with not much less torque

Graeme

edit the standard 2L sti's are 260 / 260

and a not bad wee website for you
http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/index2.html

Last edited by G.Mac; 20 February 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 24 March 2010, 03:48 AM
mark_sargeant1985
Scooby Newbie

Get yourself a P1 si!! Picking mine up in 9days! Not that I'm counting obviously!!

It's also my 1st Subaru, moved from a mk1 octavia, you might recognise my username from around briskoda, I certainly recognise yours