Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it enough for you during a spirited drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2010, 05:25 AM
wrbhawk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is it enough for you during a spirited drive?

Was having a spirited drive with an Astra VXR few days ago in my remapped hawk wrx on a national speed limit dual carriageway.

Got to a roundabout and we both floored it coming off it and back onto the carriageway. Couldn't really shake him off. The Astra driver was a nutter and must have hit triple figures but I value my licence and let him overtake me at 70mph.

If you was in my position at what point would you say enough is enough?
Would you carry on till you pulled away (if you could that is) or let go like me.

When we got to a set of lights he just kinda gave me a smug smile as if to say his car is faster than mine, not realising that I didn't want to break the law. Muppet.
Old 10 February 2010, 05:48 AM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

Enough is Enough when:

1) They are a dot in my rearview
2) They put their thumb up/flash admitting defeat
3) They end up in a tree

I've driven miles past my house to prove a point...

You drew him in, so you should have stamped him out...
Old 10 February 2010, 07:22 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a tosser in a BMW X6 tailgating me a while back, lets just say when I hit 145 he was no longer on my bumper.
Old 10 February 2010, 07:30 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

enough is when your sat in a cell looking at all 4 walls saying to yourself,why didnt i just let him go.
Old 10 February 2010, 08:05 AM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

lol at some of the answers; reminded me of being in my teens - i would have raced anyone at whatever costs.

i think these days, i am happy with the odd blat from the lights on a dual carrigway but i tend to back off approaching speed limits. Its just not worth it.

I always think that i'm no use to my family in prision or dead or just how easily you can put someone elses life in danger with wreckless driving. Sorry but that just me, not preaching to anyone.

I think with something like a VXR astra - you would have to go to daft speeds to nail one, the only hope being from a standstill. Those cars hand out a good 250 in standard trim and lets face it a lot would be modded. In gear shove is immense and more than a match for a standardish scooby.

Things have caught up big time and the scooby is not the all conquering machine it was i'm afraid.
Old 10 February 2010, 08:18 AM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

ive had a vxr have a play one evening coming home and was well quick in a straight line but once we hit the twisties he was left well behind.bloody quick cars though.
Old 10 February 2010, 08:23 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Carbon
Enough is Enough when:

1) They are a dot in my rearview
2) They put their thumb up/flash admitting defeat
3) They end up in a tree

I've driven miles past my house to prove a point...

You drew him in, so you should have stamped him out...
Like your style but it's all wrong, driven miles past your house just to prove what.
Old 10 February 2010, 08:37 AM
Potiriadis
Scooby Regular

My personal favourite was when I had a re-mapped and re-exhausted Alfa 156 V6, not that fast, but by god the sound. Hot hatch at the lights, revving his engine, revved mine, "lets say, thats not a knife, this is a knife"

If the driver is under 25, a delivery driver, or a mini cab I always just let them go as you just can't tell when they will be about to do something stupid to try and get past you. I have pulled over in the past to let a mid life muppet in a people mover go past so he can maintain his 40mph cruise on an 30!

These days the only places I really let rip are accelerating up motorway slip ramps.
Old 10 February 2010, 10:12 AM
ahar
Scooby Regular

You know, I don't think anyone has ever tried to race me on the road- either that or I've never noticed someone baiting me.

And I live next to Watford, which has more than it's fair share of blinged up novas and idiots driving around
Old 10 February 2010, 10:25 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

think it all depends on the mood your in and if you get "caught in the moment" once the addrenalin kicks in its sometimes hard to show self control. best one was in my modded classic following a brand new lambo gallardo superleggarra for a few miles in town until we got out to the city bypass and he floored it to put me in my place, i gave chase, but was left for dead, i touched 120 and he was a spec in the distance in front of me, so he must of been 150+. was worth it to hear the thing though!!
Old 10 February 2010, 10:59 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

In that situation i would've like to find out if i could've beat him. Unfortunetly i rarely come up against anything that would keep up, when i'm actually in the mood and the circumstances are right.

I had a nice drive with a bike. We covered 28 miles.
Old 10 February 2010, 11:33 AM
utaka
Scooby Regular

i give in quite easily as ive got 9 points now, most of my play happens on the track these days, i have a hawkeye spec c time attack car and an fq300 as a daily drive and its hard not to speed, but saying that, get me on my local country roads at night where i live and i do like to push the limits of the car as long as its safe to do so, i find thrashing a good quiet lane/road on my own as if not more satisfying than driving against other vehicles. you really get to give the whole car a good workout in lanes/country roads and you can really feel how good both these cars are
Old 10 February 2010, 11:46 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Full bore up to 80... usually that's enough to get you plenty clear ahead... then I back off..they can carry on at 80mph+ if they want.... any old shed will do 100 given enough time..
Old 10 February 2010, 11:52 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thing is, in a scooby if you've not got them by 90/100 then unless you've got a pretty modified setup you're not going to pull away to a great extent.

I'll 'play' on roads I know, only to a certain extent, you can quickly get an idea if the other person is a 'just for fun' or 'beat you or die trying' type of driver. If they're the latter I just let them go on their merry way.
Old 10 February 2010, 12:19 PM
aamtheman
Scooby Regular

That's a good point about the type of driver Neanderthal. I had an Audi S3 wanting to play last night, when we were on a dual carriageway. So we did. At about 80mph I started pulling away, going up to 100mph, at which point he backed down to 70, and so did I.
Old 10 February 2010, 12:27 PM
Potiriadis
Scooby Regular

In my old bugeye STi had a lovely moment with a Ferrari 360 CS. Coming out of the 50 limit on the A3 after Hook, we both floored it. I got every gear change perfect, never came off boost, got absolutely massacred. Noise in the underpass was epic. Had a massive smile and a set of bruised ribs from the wife for the rest of the day.

These days, once you are up and rolling the big turbo diesels will give you a run for your money in a straight line.

For me the impreza has always been about, handling grip and poise. Straight lines are boring, standing starts are harsh on the mechanicals, twists are where you see the difference between a fast car and a sports car.
Old 10 February 2010, 01:58 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Potiriadis
For me the impreza has always been about, handling grip and poise. Straight lines are boring, standing starts are harsh on the mechanicals, twists are where you see the difference between a fast car and a sports car.
You, my good man, hit the nail on the head!

Plus point is, the twisty roads are even better fun when there are less cars about. More fun and less chance of killing anyone but yourself. Winner
Old 10 February 2010, 02:57 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rifleman
ive had a vxr have a play one evening coming home and was well quick in a straight line but once we hit the twisties he was left well behind.bloody quick cars though.
There are pretty quick alright. My old classic was somewhere around 280/280 and in a straight line (and also up a steep hill ) a VXR was all over my rear. The only excuse I can pull out is that lots of my tools were in the boot as my van was at the garage for repairs. The VXR was two up and so were we.

And as mentioned already many will have been modified too.

Have a play and let them go on their silly way if they want to be dangerous.
Old 10 February 2010, 05:06 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

I had Mr mid life crisis in his honda s2000 cut me up comming off the m77 near eaglesham in glasgow last week. Roads were emoty an i thought whats your problem.
Silly red mist I know..... Flashed him to move out of my way an gunned it past him.

He pulled right out behind me an i thought S2000s are rapid! Might be egg on face time for the ginger one.

Not one bit of it he dropped back quite abit but caught up as i slowed for traffic in the distance. Traffic cleared an away I went again. Same deal he caught up.

I went into a 30 at 30 an he rips past me accelerating away.

Annoyed at myself for driving like that but strangely aroused at the old girl spanking an S2000. VF34s rule.......... as does 289bhp Vs 240bhp but satisfying none the less.
Old 10 February 2010, 05:08 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

My *** is plenty big enough so I will happily let people in saxo's etc over take me. I dont own an Impreza to impress boy racers, I won it for me to enjoy.
Old 10 February 2010, 05:24 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

isnt it funny how as we get older we calm down.....
Old 10 February 2010, 05:24 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

lad has got a vxr at work nuremburg version it is rapid its had all the suspension done and its mapped over 300 plus bhp a scooby woudnt stand a chance even on twistys or unless it had mega bp might opt for one myself after ive paid for mine lol
Old 10 February 2010, 05:33 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

I've pulled in many a time to leave a complete **** pass me because of his driving. At the end of the day is it worth risking loseing your licence and maybe your life just to prove you car is quicker? I think not
Old 10 February 2010, 05:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
a scooby woudnt stand a chance even on twistys
Eh Power means **** in the twisties IMHO. Seen VXR's really struggle with corners, but never come up against one myself... yet
Old 10 February 2010, 05:40 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

I quite often get quite inferior cars trying to race. Il quite happily give it some up to around the speed limit where suitable but tend to let them carry on if the start being stupid as im not willing to kills somebody else to prove what??????????
Old 10 February 2010, 05:46 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Eh Power means **** in the twisties IMHO. Seen VXR's really struggle with corners, but never come up against one myself... yet
they dont when all the suspensions uprated
Old 10 February 2010, 06:07 PM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

1st to 4thgear thats enough for me, if somebody comes by me fair enough
Old 10 February 2010, 06:54 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

I have plenty of boy racers in there corsa, saxo's and pugs trying to race me. I usually don't bother and let them overtake. And them to slam on so they can make there turn off or something. I usually find they are trying to show off to the egotistic lass sat with him.

Once I had a corsa try and overtake me on main road so didn't evan down gear stayed in fifth and still pulled away from him. He did overtake when I dropped my speed, and low and behold was a lass with him. This was a rare occasion, I usually let them overtake and thats it, so I put my foot down to catch up with him. I overtook him but hit my limiter (yes I've still got her restricted to 112mph lol) so once I overtook I just slowed down and he did overtake me again. But left him to it.

I find this happens a awful lot to me. And it depends on what mood I'm in. 99% I don't bother, I know in my head which car is faster. I drive my car for my enjoyment no one elses.

Last edited by KINGTIGER; 10 February 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10 February 2010, 06:59 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick schofield
lad has got a vxr at work nuremburg version it is rapid its had all the suspension done and its mapped over 300 plus bhp a scooby woudnt stand a chance even on twistys or unless it had mega bp might opt for one myself after ive paid for mine lol
Only going off top gear here but dint it struggle in the twistys with just standard bhp, even uprated suspension wont make that much of a difference. As it's only got a basic front wheel drive set up not like the fancy focus
Old 10 February 2010, 07:10 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Upto a ton and i'm done

If they are still there or wanting it after that they can av it

Rolling or standing 1/4 mile basically.[thats all a straight line is good for in my book] Twisties are much more fun/demanding

Playing with an M3 the other week [straight line], let him pass at a ton and got the as he passed

Last edited by Glowplug; 10 February 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: When is it enough for you during a spirited drive?