Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ported + wrapped oe headers and uppipe.

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2010, 03:57 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ported + wrapped oe headers and uppipe.

hi,was wondering wether this upgade will make much difference to the sound of the car?anyone know through experience? car is my99 uk turbo and will be running somewhere in the region of 330-350 bhp?
Old 04 February 2010, 04:35 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

hi fella just wrapped my headers uppipe and downpipe sounds a little meaty but my headers was blowing b4 mind you so spunked it in exhaust paste before i wrapped them. best of luck.

my scoob green as well they are twins ha ha quality
Old 04 February 2010, 07:09 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Havent noticed a difference in sound with my ported and wrapped headers and upipe. But to be honest with the Blitz nur spec I cant really notice a change in volume at all as it just sounds to loud. Only thing I noticed the car seems to rev more free, Ive got around the 320-340bhp in a MY99 STi.
Old 04 February 2010, 07:47 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Havent noticed a difference in sound with my ported and wrapped headers and upipe. But to be honest with the Blitz nur spec I cant really notice a change in volume at all as it just sounds to loud. Only thing I noticed the car seems to rev more free, Ive got around the 320-340bhp in a MY99 STi.
Saved me the effort of typing a very similar responce!
Old 04 February 2010, 08:15 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V5RVLTD
Saved me the effort of typing a very similar responce!
so,no is the answer then......? i would have thought it would change the tone/sound slightly.
Old 04 February 2010, 08:41 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

I honestly cant say i noticed a big difference in sound mate, it still popped gurgled and banged like a good un, but the nur spec done that before, an i didnt notice it being louder. The difference in the way it drove was the most noticeable, one of my favourite mods, after the first re-map that is
Old 04 February 2010, 08:49 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

I honestly cant say i noticed a big difference in sound mate, it still popped gurgled and banged like a good un, but the nur spec done that before, an i didnt notice it being louder. The difference in the way it drove was the most noticeable, one of my favourite mods, after the first re-map that is
,when removing the headers.....does it come off as 1 complete piece? i know the up pipe is obviously seperate,but the reason im asking is my ported headers are all in seperate bits at the moment and was wondering wether i can fit it all together off of the car and heat wrap,then fit as 1 if u get me?
Old 04 February 2010, 08:55 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Wish i could help mate but im not sure, useless with spanners or anything remotely engine-ish! Harvey supplied and fitted a few parts for me, and the headers & up-pipe were amongst them.

Ps Yes it was an incredibly long drive! Worth it though
Old 04 February 2010, 09:52 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Wish i could help mate but im not sure, useless with spanners or anything remotely engine-ish! Harvey supplied and fitted a few parts for me, and the headers & up-pipe were amongst them.

Ps Yes it was an incredibly long drive! Worth it though
thanks anyway mate. does anyone know the answer to this????when removing the headers.....does it come off as 1 complete piece? i know the up pipe is obviously seperate,but the reason im asking is my ported headers are all in seperate bits at the moment and was wondering wether i can fit it all together off of the car and heat wrap,then fit as 1 if u get me? do the headers come off the car as one piece???
Old 04 February 2010, 10:09 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
,when removing the headers.....does it come off as 1 complete piece?
You could get it off in one piece if you wanted to, but given the awkward size and weight of the three components of the manifold, you'd probably find it easier to dismantle them on the car than off it.

The up-pipe, as you've said, will need to be dealt with separately once the 1/3 branch of the manifold is out of the way.

my ported headers are all in seperate bits at the moment and was wondering wether i can fit it all together off of the car and heat wrap,then fit as 1 if u get me?
You'd be better off wrapping them as separate components and then fitting them on the car. Again it can be done in one piece - and the advantage is that you'll overwrap the flanges too, but it'll be a PITA to fit and you'll also have a major problem if, for example, you subsequently find one of the joints is leaking and needs tightening up at touch, or if, as often happens, you need to realign things a bit.

Incidentally in my experience properly ported manifolds and up-pipe does make a subtle but noticeable difference to the exhaust note. Makes it a little sharper - in a good way. Using heatwrap in preference to the OE shields also quietens things down in the engine bay quite a lot.
Old 04 February 2010, 10:41 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
You could get it off in one piece if you wanted to, but given the awkward size and weight of the three components of the manifold, you'd probably find it easier to dismantle them on the car than off it.

The up-pipe, as you've said, will need to be dealt with separately once the 1/3 branch of the manifold is out of the way.

You'd be better off wrapping them as separate components and then fitting them on the car. Again it can be done in one piece - and the advantage is that you'll overwrap the flanges too, but it'll be a PITA to fit and you'll also have a major problem if, for example, you subsequently find one of the joints is leaking and needs tightening up at touch, or if, as often happens, you need to realign things a bit.

Incidentally in my experience properly ported manifolds and up-pipe does make a subtle but noticeable difference to the exhaust note. Makes it a little sharper - in a good way. Using heatwrap in preference to the OE shields also quietens things down in the engine bay quite a lot.
thanks alot splitpin....exactly the answers i was looking for,very helpfull once again,cheers mateonce ive got the gaskets and the heat wrap i will be gettin stuck in.....will the car be ok to drive sensibly for a while without a map tweek after the fitment of headers + uppipe?
Old 06 February 2010, 10:52 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost exactly as Splitpin says.
Some owners say the burble is deeper or raspier.
I always leave the fasteners slack and exposed so there is still slog in the joins until everything is in place and ready for final bolt up. If you assemble the three bits as one unit before fitting, because of the slog in the joints, sometimes it will not fit.
Always wrap as three individual pieces. Far easier.
Old 10 February 2010, 08:02 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

99 Green Wagon : You asked about the sound track.
This customer below had work done on Monday, fit ported headers, matched uppipe and brake bias valve and completely unsolicited this was received Tuesday morning.

Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:13 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: scooby info

hi harvey.

them hedders and up pipe. my god what a difference, the car is awesome now bettersound better acceleration and pulld harder thru the gears, what a mod,.,

not sure i will need the turbo upgrade after that feels fast enough now, still send me cost thru incase i change my mind but wait and see lol if i get used to it ha ha,, thunbs up for the hedders and up pipe car feels wicked,
also the brakes feel a lot more planted now makes the car mor planted when braking

regards phil
Old 10 February 2010, 10:34 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

harvey how much for a set of ported headers wrapped with matched up pipe also wrapped if i supply a standard set of headers as exchange. for a uk classic. thanks.
Old 11 February 2010, 01:32 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

These are £369 exchange, new stainless purpose designed, uppipe, slip jointed, 5no. new studs, DEI heat wrapped, ported headers also DEI wrapped and ready to fit. Exchange. O/Night dly is £12.50 or we fit here in Darlington for fixed £75. Bargain fitting price.
Can have exchange headers ready in advance so no down time for you.