Sponsored by:

Cost of buying a Private Reg.

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2002, 04:54 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

When the dvla say £250 is that it or are there more charges?

Another website offers the same thing for £244 will they charge VAT and assignment fees on top of this?

When you come to sell the car later do you just stick the old plates back on. Or do you have to pay the DVLA so you can keep them in the shed till this time.

Thanks
in
Advance
Old 21 March 2002, 04:56 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I think you've to pay a further £80 transfer fee to the DVLA.
If when you sell the car you want to keep the plate, you're another £80 transfer fee or £120 to get it put on a retention certificate.
The £120 includes the transfer so it can be put straight on another vehicle but the certificate expires after 12months and you've to pay the fee again if the reggie hasn't been assigned.
Paul
Old 21 March 2002, 04:58 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If the DVLA state £250 this includes the fee to put it on your car, i paid £250 for mine form them

Works out at £170 for the plate really
Old 21 March 2002, 04:59 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Initial fee includes registration with DVLA, if bought from the DVLA.

If you don't use the plate in a year, you have to pay £25 to keep it under your name for another year.

When it comes to selling, you call sell with the private plate for free. Else you can stick the old plate back, which will cost you £25, but then you can keep the personal plate.

Basically, each swap costs you £25.

On top off all of this, the forms need to be sent to your local DVLA office.
Old 21 March 2002, 05:07 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

sounds easy, if avi and ashkay are right.

Ta

Nick
Old 21 March 2002, 05:14 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Well I bought a plate two years ago for £250, kept it as I had to get a MY98 + to use it - only paid £25 to keep it registered without use for the extra year and when I got my MY99, didn't pay a penny apart from 26p postage.
Old 21 March 2002, 05:18 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Sorry but it's not quite right.

The DVLA plates are £250 or £399 depending on the year. This includes VAT and the £80 transfer fee.

Other sites that advertise cheaper plates usually don't include VAT and never include the transfer fee. This means that any plate of around £150 is going to work out at over £250 by the time it's on your car.

If you sell the car and want to keep the plates, it will cost you £80 to place it on retention for 12 months. If you don't use it in that time you can pay another £25 to have this extended.

If you want to sell the plate privately and it's on retention then it costs £25 to add another nominee to the list. That's what I did when I sold my old plate on e-Bay.

Oh and you don't deal with the DVLA at all. It's all done through either your local VRO office or by post at the Cherished Transfer people. I did it by simply visiting the VRO in Reading, took about 10 minutes last time as they've simplified the queuing!

Laurence
Old 21 March 2002, 05:37 PM
M8TT J
Scooby Regular

Just gone through all this myself......it is a bit of a nightmere but well worth doing properly.

To buy the reg I recommend using the DVLA direct...my plate M8TT J cost me £250 quid which I think you will agree is a bargin. This includes everything needed. All you need do is to then send off part of the document they send you with a V10 form which you can get from your local office and also your Reg doc...Not tax disc don't worry they send you a new one. In 7 days you will receive confirmation and a new tax disc....then you are legally allowed to swap over the new reg just purchased onto your car....no costs are involved at this point....

When you sell the car and want to keep the reg you will either need to place it on retention which costs £100 for one year, you keep the reg and the car is assigned another one....or to place on your new vehicle you will need to fill in another form and send off the MOT, and reg doc's of both cars along with an £80 tranfer fee..

Sorry about the essay thread but I have just gone through the process...
Old 21 March 2002, 05:53 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the clarification guys, I didn't know that I'd have to pay an extra £80 - to keep my own plate - but its something I'd never sell as it's my surname! And for £250, well can't go wrong!
Old 21 March 2002, 06:00 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

I've just gon through it too. Bought a plate 18 months ago for £250 as it was an older plate and that was it. Stuck it on the car once I'd been to the VRO to sort the forms (tip: don't go at lunch time).
Sold the car so to keep the plate, applied for retention. £105 which includes the £25 retention fee plus assignment fee for adding it to a new car at some point in the future. If I do assign it, all II have to do is tell the VRO. Unfortunately my plate couldn't go on the car I bought. Plate is S reg whereas the car is an R so bought another one for £250 and back to the VRO. It's easy once you know how. Also, if you order a plate from the DVLA, they give you a helpline number if you get stuck.
Other sites are more expensive cos they charge extras such as VAT. It's madness really.
The best thing to do is choose your plate on www.dvla-som.co.uk and then give them a call and they'll sort you out. You can have a new plate on in days.

Steve (apologies for another essay)

[Edited by stephen30 - 3/21/2002 6:02:38 PM]
Old 21 March 2002, 08:36 PM
PKB
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am currently selling a plate S1 50UND looks sound!!! I am currently trying to sell for £1000 but make me an offer??? I have paid to put it onto retention and transfer fee, so just a visit to local office and job done!