Sponsored by:

LOTUS ELISE ANY BODY TRYED ONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2001, 09:14 PM
tommy m
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all has anybody driven a elise what did you think:CONFUSED:i had a go today just not quite sure if it's fast enough :},not to leave me bored after a few weeks!! TOMMY
Old 25 February 2001, 09:38 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

There are many tuning optiopns for the k-series engine if you do get bored, overall a fine car IMHO, but a different ethos to a scoob.
Andy
Old 25 February 2001, 09:49 PM
MrWood
Scooby Regular

A freind of mine has an Elise, and it's a great car! (At least for the summer months!)
Not a very powerfull engine though...
Could do with an engine transplant from a superchipped Rover 220 turbo, then it would eat a scooby anytime!
Old 26 February 2001, 10:08 PM
tommy m
Scooby Regular

TOP tommy
Old 26 February 2001, 10:18 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Tommy, I'm with you. I test drove an Elise (a while ago now, I think it was a 111S with sports exhaust.) Didn't have anywhere near the grin factor and sense of acceleration of an Impreza Turbo . I was also disappointed with the seating position - although it is so low down it didn't quite feel like the little race car I had imagined. Also loads of body roll as well which didn't feel too sporty. I reckon it would be a superb car to do a bit of tuning on and to use for track days but you need to thrash it a bit too hard for regular road driving to get the enjoyment.
Old 27 February 2001, 12:33 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Owning both a UK Impreza and a Lotus Exige (motorsporty version of Elise)

I can say that I get far greater driving pleasure from the Lotus than I do from the Scoob.

To me, the Impreza is a nippy work horse, 4 door. It wallows in the bends, has spongy vague steering.

Sure, it has the turbo kick, but then I'd much rather have a smooth delivery through the power band.

The Lotus, however, is far less practical, noisy but boy do you feel alive in it, precise kart like steering, minimal body roll, less understeer. (Looks the dogs danglies too)

Horses for courses really. They're chalk and cheese and it's unfair to compare.

If you can, get both I say.
Old 27 February 2001, 09:36 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I too was disappointed with the Elise which I spent a weekend with. Engine sounds horrid and whilst the chassis is undoubtedly impressive, there isn't enough power/torque to play with it.

If you're looking for a fun car to run alongside the Scoob try a Caterham - everything the Elise should have been in my mind.

I'm picking mine up in a week's time
Old 27 February 2001, 10:21 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

I've got both an Elise and a Scooby... Different cars for different occasions. Wet night, definitely the Scoob, dry trackdays, more the Elise.

It does sound pretty boring, though, but there are plenty of aftermarket exhausts available. And in standard engine spec it's fast-ish. Bit slower than a standard Scoob, I reckon. But you have to remember that the power delivery is very different - no huge rush of turbo torque, but fairly linear push from 1500rpm to 6000rpm. And also there are plenty of tuning firms out there. I'd say about 140-150bhp would be ideal, compared to the standard 120bhp.

It's a very fine handling car, IMO. But you can't fit kids and luggage in it. But then you can take the roof off (eventually).

I also used to have a Caterham (only a 1600 crossflow, so not much power). Skinnier tyres made it more entertaining, and it certainly sounded more like a traditional sports car with popping exhaust and induction roar. But it wasn't as accomplished a track car as the Elise. (But if you had a 200bhp Caterham on sticky Yokos, that would probably be a completely different kettle of fish).

Conclusion: all three cars (Scoob, Elise, Cat) are excellent when you're in the right sort of mood. But overall, the Scoob is the most 'sensible'
Old 27 February 2001, 11:13 AM
rjc
Scooby Regular

I had an Elise (will have another one soon!) and I've got an Impreza Turbo too.
Old 27 February 2001, 11:24 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

my 2p worth......took out my best mates girlfriends sisters boyfriend....keep with me on this one...... who had a "standard" elise ie not a cheetah or a 111s etc....in my standard MY97 Wagon Turbo......he said it was "nice"......anyway the next day he traded the elise for a scoob.....make of that what you will....the blokes a to55er anyway....so he probably doesnt count....
edited for spilling mostakes

[This message has been edited by Richard Askew (edited 27 February 2001).]
Old 27 February 2001, 01:35 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a scood MY98 then an STI V and have now gone to an Elise 111S. It is faster than my STI on everything except in the wet, or very bumpypoor surfaces, or very long straights.
It has about 150hp with the Lotus Sports exaust, and it does a mighty impression of a race touring car as the VVC engine screams to 7500+ rpm.
Cross-drilled brakes are amazing (fade does not exist on normal track use), steering and body is so alive, and generally makes the STI feel like a fast mini-bus. Looks better too IMO.
Obviously happy with my purchase, but I miss the STI whenever it's wet, snowy, or I want to carry some luggage.

wall
Old 27 February 2001, 02:10 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

There's no denying it that the Elise is a fantastic car (well go-cart rather) , It's impractical in every way and if your a fat B*stard you won't have a cat in hells chance of getting inside it, And even if you do you won't be getting out.

Highly recommended as a second car though will put more grins and smiles on your face than a scooby will, wish I could afford one...(I can't unfortunately)

p.s I'm not a fat B*stard if your wondering, It's just a scoob takes priority in my case and still one hell of a car.
Old 27 February 2001, 03:02 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

It says more about the Scooby that it can stand up to comparison with stripped-out mid-engined two-seater sportscars like the Elise.
Old 27 February 2001, 05:49 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

On subject of elise being faster through bends Tiff Needell of Top Gear magazine tested the two on a dry circuit back in 97 and guess what the Scoob was quicker by a reasonable margin.

As to my own driving impressions never driven an Elise so can't comment but would love to try one.
Old 27 February 2001, 08:58 PM
tommy m
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks to you all i value all your comments,but im still not sure ,so i'll have to get one and try it for a few months and see!!
Old 28 February 2001, 12:03 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

2p worth..

I drove an Elise last year, great road handling, but lacking in power...(this is my technical and informative observation ).

Also, my brother bought a Caterham last month and took me for a spin and a drive. It's a great little car. Excellect handling and very fun to drive. When I next spoke to him I said that I didn't want to go in it again as it made my Scooby seem soft and wollowie(sp), (which it probably is)....

Also, got more waves and looks driving that for 10 miles than I have in 2 years of Scooby ownership

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 28 February 2001).]
Old 28 February 2001, 11:21 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidRB:
<B>It says more about the Scooby that it can stand up to comparison with stripped-out mid-engined two-seater sportscars like the Elise. [/quote]

It says more about a Lotus, a small British-based operation, knocking out a low volume car that can stand up to the multi billion concern of Fuji Heavy Industries
Old 28 February 2001, 11:41 AM
BT52
Scooby Regular

I have an Elise 135 and have just ordered a WRX from Belgium after reading Rob's description of the experience.
Great web site Rob, been a huge help for me. Best Elise one around.

They are so different you can't compare. I don't see the Subaru as having the same fun factor at all, which is why I have chosen to go for the new WRX rather then the old turbo since it appeals on levels an Elise owner is more likely to appreciate (ie refinement, grip and stability) since we already have nervousness and rawness.
Old 28 February 2001, 12:37 PM
Simon
Scooby Regular

The last time I drove a Lotus Elise I hit the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time with my size 12 boots, locking up the front tyres, but keeping the backs spinning (and pushing the car forwards). Luckily, I was on a large airfield, and only took out a few cones.

Once I got used to it though, I thought it was an excellent little car, and even considered buying one. If it wasn't for the fact that they are completely impractical I would probably have one now!

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon (edited 28 February 2001).]