Sponsored by:

Autoglass...

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 01:21 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoglass...

Hey, just in a bit of flap regarding autoglass, was seeing if anyone has had any experience with em.
I had a chip repaired on the windscreen 2 years ago, this has been fine untill just before christmas,the chip has now split and is has a 1cm crack across it. I put the car off the road over christmas anyway seen as every time i went out in the car it got slightly bigger.
I contacted autoglass who first off said the chip is covered under warrnety and they would have to replace the windscreen, I was a bit dubious about having this done, but figured I had no choice. I was then conacted by autoglass to tell me there "lifetime" chip repair warrenty was now out of warrenty, and they could only replace the windscreen through insurance, I didn`t feel this was fair, but needed the car sorting ASAP, so got the car booked in and I was prepared to pay the small insurance charge.
Today the technician came to do the windscreen, i had to work so left the car with the mrs where it can be done out of the rain, and sorted trasnport to and from work. He told her that the chip wasn`t that bad, and he had the same on his car, leave it be. He then promtly left before she even had chance to call me at work.
I called autoglass imidiatley who told me again that the chip should be under warrenty and the technician should have just replaced the glass!
I am left wondering what the hells going on,and awaiting a call from the warrenty department.
Am i being paranoid at getting the chip sorted straight away? Am I menat to wait untill the crackis bigger?
Old 30 December 2009, 01:30 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

If you have a 'lifetime' guarantee in writing I would press on and get it changed mate. I can't see any point in waiting as the crack will just get bigger. It's also going to fail an MOT and maybe even attract the attention of the boys in blue as well.
It would be handy if you had the name of whoever you spoke to at AG and told you it would be repaired under warranty.
Best of luck
Old 30 December 2009, 01:35 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Yeah I have kept the persons name this time, just seems very odd, people I know who have had crack on thier screens have had them sorted with no hassel.
Old 30 December 2009, 01:35 PM
pete96wrx
Scooby Regular

sounds like you just got a bad or to busy fitter. used auto glass several times and all ways been impresed, tell there office you want it replaced and to send another fitter out
Old 30 December 2009, 01:56 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Always speak to a manager as most of the peeps that answer the phone couldn't give a toss! If you have paperwork saying lifetime guarantee then you're bullet proof, no?

My experience with them is poor as they took 4 attempts to replace the windscreen on a 330d that we owned ... kept buggering up the auto wipers. Eventually they used bmw parts rather than cheap sh*t

TX
Old 30 December 2009, 02:04 PM
Stoff1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete96wrx
sounds like you just got a bad or to busy fitter. used auto glass several times and all ways been impresed, tell there office you want it replaced and to send another fitter out
ill second that
Old 30 December 2009, 02:35 PM
Sem
Scooby Newbie

I think they are poor. they fitted a windscreen on my bugeye! It was letting in water after fitting so I had to take it to a depot and literally watch them do it properly. Would never use again unless insurance specified it!!

Last edited by Sem; 30 December 2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 30 December 2009, 02:45 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

there crap thay broke some clips on my car and said thay were already like that never again
Old 30 December 2009, 03:49 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

i had 2 chips sorted by them 6 weeks ago as had to according to insurance company and the chips are now visible again as the resin they used has come out of the screen.when i saw them they said tough and have to have new windscreen through insurance.will never go near them again.
Old 30 December 2009, 05:26 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

LOL - just got off the phone to them again after no call back all day, they will stand by the fitters information, the chip isn`t big enough to repair, so i asked if I should call back this time next week when the crack is half way across the screen, she didn`t seem to like this! She also didn`t seem to happy about me mentioning that i had been told by xxxx that the lifetimewarrnety still stands, but alas they are not willing to do anything till the crack is bigger.
I`ll wait a week, get it to my friendly MOT test center to give me an official fail report or whatever and then go from there....

Seems good customer service is much harder to get these days...
Old 30 December 2009, 06:39 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

I had the same issue on my BMW 3series. Was haveing no joy with them so I found out the glass acess from the insurance was £60 so there was a problem one night and both my old front and rear sceens got damaged lol I got a heat reflective tinted with sun band front screen and a new rear screen with all the heater elements working lol
Old 30 December 2009, 09:16 PM
stevie333
Scooby Regular

Had them do mine,took out the back windscreen and re-sealed,worst job ever,put it back in without the bottom seal,when i got a local firm to do it again i found out they even put the clips in wrongthey are colour coded FFS.From what i can gather,they are ace on a normal car i.e focus etc,but anything,and this is where the reputation comes from,but personal opinion they are crap,get someone local to do it properly.
Old 30 December 2009, 09:41 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

They replaced my windscreen on my Type R years ago. They broke god knows how many clips and didnt replace them or even tell me. Was travelling along the motorway a few days later when the metal strip that goes along the edge of the front windscreen to the rear screen peeled nearly all the way off. Because it had peeled back it had badly scratched the rear quarter and bootlid of the car.
Anyway phoned up autoglass the next morning told them what had happened and told them about the scratches and they said they would "sort it" but they needed to order the parts.
6 weeks later and many phonecalls later (not once did I recieve a call from them) they finally had the part in. I went straight down to have it fitted. I then asked them what they were going to do about the scratches to which the manager replied "they could have been done by anything, I own an impreza myself and know how bad the body panels are"!!!!!!!
I phone the customer services up to see what they would do but they just werent bothered.

This was Autowindscreens in Rotherham (Parkgate)

Would not recommend them to my worst enemy!!