My First Scooby, a Type R

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 07:56 AM
Ehabie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Scooby, a Type R

Hi All,

First time in here but I am sure wont be my last as I just bought myself a really nice STI type R 1997. It has an Apexi hand controller and Apexi Boost controller... no Idea how to use them but I guess reading the manual is a good start.

I believe it is pushing over 330BHP and that is more than enough power for me for now... A couple of questions;

1/ It drives like a rear wheel drive car!? I am actually quite scared to put put down when the road is not straight! is this normal? I though the wole point is so you can have super grip round corners?

2/ Second thing I noticed is that driving on the motorway.. the revs are really high! and this consumes abnormally large amounts of petrol... I am def missing a 6th gear... is this normal?

Thanks Guys/gals I am sure I will be back with more curios scooby questions.... its a bit of an upgrade from my 2.0 vectra :-)
Old 30 December 2009, 08:29 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look for the DCCD controller I think its called. The power might be set to the back wheels. I think its down near the handbrake.

I think you can set it to 90% rear wheel drive
Old 30 December 2009, 08:40 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ehabie
Hi All,

I believe it is pushing over 330BHP and that is more than enough power for me for now... A couple of questions;

Second thing I noticed is that driving on the motorway.. the revs are really high! and this consumes abnormally large amounts of petrol... I am def missing a 6th gear... is this normal?

Thanks Guys/gals I am sure I will be back with more curios scooby questions.... its a bit of an upgrade from my 2.0 vectra :-)

a modded scoob likes its fuel... well any scooby likes its fuel for that matter
you will notice the petrol gauge moving compared to a vectra
enjoy it and dont forget to use v power or tesco 99
Old 30 December 2009, 09:28 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look here https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...anslation.html

In the car look for the roller switch (mine has a white surround)

And to the left of the rev counter is the DCCD indicator

Power is 64/36 rear/front

The gearbox is quite short and ,imo, a 6th gear would be good for cruising BUT not what the Type R was built for

What tyre (make) are on it as a good tyre will inspire a lot of confidence
Old 30 December 2009, 09:32 AM
clark822
Scooby Regular

Hiya welcome check the dccd control is set right theres a website about it try searching on here too as for the handling once the dccd is set check your tyres are all in good nick and inflated correctly . Might be worth you getting a proper 4 wheel alignment done made a huge improvment on mine now like its on rails - still cant get over the fuel useage on mine thats after 12 months just enjoy it but take your time getting used to it befor pushing on especially in this weather all the best jon
Old 30 December 2009, 10:08 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Please don't take this the wrong way but, you really should have done your research before you actually bought any kind of impreza.
The Type R is not really a car for people who don't know what they're doing. Having said that many people will agree with me when I say they are the best!

As said above, your car is fitted with a DCCD (driver controlled centre diff) which is why it feels like a rwd car. Best thing to do is follow the link above and print off the whole thing!

Since your car is an import it will need to be run on Shell Vpower or Tesco 99ron Super unleaded. Never use anything else unless you can find out if the car has been remapped for anything else, otherwise you'll kill the engine in no time!

You'll need to change the oil every 5000 miles too.

Just be careful and enjoy it though
Old 30 December 2009, 10:09 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Oh and another thing.......... Get some pictures uploaded!!!!!
Old 30 December 2009, 11:07 AM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Ill 2nd that...get some pics up.

I love the Type R due to having the best of both worlds...4WD grip or the fun of RWD
Old 30 December 2009, 08:02 PM
WaltonWRX
Scooby Regular

I went from a UK2000 to a type R, I am still learning the dccd as its all about having a play

Still, in all the bad weather we just has I had no problems and alot of fun.

Very Very good car
Old 30 December 2009, 10:03 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

get used to fuel mate when i sold mine went to look at 2 different cars to px with did 430 miles cost me 120 mate cozzy used 20 on way home compared to 60 it cost me to get there, miss it though now after another
Old 31 December 2009, 11:24 AM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

wheres the pics
Old 31 December 2009, 12:18 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy2take
Have a look for the DCCD controller I think its called. The power might be set to the back wheels. I think its down near the handbrake.

I think you can set it to 90% rear wheel drive
no you carn't.you can alter the front and rear torque split,but not the power from front to rear wheel.
Old 31 December 2009, 12:31 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

You can change the rwd bias with the diff controller.

set it to open, the diff dash light will be green (bottom one) thumb switch fully back and you'll have 65:35 split with the 65 going to the rear. Set it to locked (thumb switch fully forward) and you'll have a 50:50 split.

You can also set it to anywhere in between.

Most people seem to like the second light up from the bottom for the every day stuff.
Old 31 December 2009, 12:50 PM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

Think mine is stuck, cant seem to get it off the bottom lol No wait thats where all the fun happens Great fun and good luck to you. The only thing i will say is get ready for an engine build!
Old 02 January 2010, 03:02 AM
Ehabie
Scooby Newbie

Hey Guys/Gals,

Thankyou for the warm welcome. Marx Mcrae, you are very right... I should have done a little research before goin nutz and buying the Type R... but it was such a minter & wanted a fun ride... I will post pictures soon.

As for the DCCD, the general feel I am getting is that ' if it is wet you should move it up to second or third position' Some people like to drive it in the dry in the first position (this is second from bottom).

I think I need to drive it myself and get a feel for what is best... either way the car commands allot of respect as it can be a bit of an animal :-)... because of this I am taking it really easy the car has warned me a couple of times already (mainly because it drive like a rear wheel drive and was not expecting it!!)..

As for the petrol consumption... wow... not very enviro friendly... So I am going to put LPG on it..!! I know I am probably get cussed by some for doing this but I have owned a couple of LPG'd cars and I swear by it.... Does anyone know here of anyone whohas had a 300+bhp car done and from where?

Its a different ball game because of the pressure and need to go to someone who knows what they are doing...

Oh and another thing, I was driving around Central London just now and heard a womans voice "you are now entering congestion charge zone" !!?? I did not know it had GPS!? I know it has a Tracker but I have not subscribed to it... could this be the tracker??

Cor... Im learning more about this and cars generally everyday.... I am slowly getting hooked :-).... I am yet to shell out on mods though lol

E
Old 02 January 2010, 03:05 AM
Ehabie
Scooby Newbie

Dazdavies, Are you sure 110% about if you lockit you will get 50/50 ? is that therefore the same power to all 4 wheels? Sorry mate as the DCCD thing I am still struggling to get my head round it
Old 02 January 2010, 11:17 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

LPG in a Type R ? Barmy.
Old 02 January 2010, 12:54 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
LPG in a Type R ? Barmy.
Agreed!
Old 02 January 2010, 02:41 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

under no circumstances never ever lock the diff on normal roads, you should only lock it on snow or very loose gravel or you'll wind the diff up. the most i ever go is the first orange and that only playin on very very wet corners!

oh and launch control on wet roads

ps daz you gonna start coming to some meets soon???

Last edited by chris-RB5; 02 January 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 03:12 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris-RB5
under no circumstances never ever lock the diff on normal roads, you should only lock it on snow or very loose gravel or you'll wind the diff up. the most i ever go is the first orange and that only playin on very very wet corners!

oh and launch control on wet roads

Thats not true, alot of people use "diff lock" what launching for a qtr mile.
All modes can be used on the road, if the diff gets wound up then just gently lift the handbrake untill the warning light comes on on the dash.
If you wernt supposed to use all the modes the Subaru wouldnt have made it like it is
Old 02 January 2010, 03:14 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

A quote from the above link...

"TIGHT CORNER BRAKING PHENOMENON (makes more sense once you read the following)
When the indicator is orange while driving on dry tarmac/asphalt, corners, and even reverse parking, due to the rotational difference between the front and rear wheels, there are cases where heavy vibration and noise may occur during braking.
Though this is not out of the ordinary, and to resolve this "problem", you can simply either set the DCCD to DIFF FREE or pull the hand brake enough so that the brake warning light illuminates.
While you may feel a light "shock" when using the control dial during quick acceleration and tight cornering, due to the movement of the center diff, this is normal."
Old 02 January 2010, 03:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It actually locks the diff, not recommended to use it on normal roads but you can, better in snow though

Tony
Old 02 January 2010, 04:42 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

When i had tuition on an airfield with an experienced rally driver(wrc cars etc)he locked the diff, and the stability when braking and cornering was in a different world to the usual first green position i used to use.....

Also managed to knock off almost half a second on 1/4 mile time after seeing a demo in japan where they used the diff locked for launching.

Its only when turning on a tight axis at low speed that the damage can occur afaik...and you get plenty of warning of that !!!!!
Old 02 January 2010, 04:56 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris-RB5

Will do when my car is finished.
Old 02 January 2010, 05:12 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subaru's don't like running on LPG for very long. Do some research before getting it done because it will cost you more in the long run
Old 03 January 2010, 12:46 AM
Ehabie
Scooby Newbie

I knew I was gonna get a super negative with the LPG... I have a friend who has a normal uk turbo lpg'd and it has done 285K miles!! it still drive lovely... I have tried to do a little search on Lpg it might be worth starting another thread :-) LPG is not bad.. my only worry is to make sure I can find the vapourisers etc which can handle the pressure...

The other worry is the old question about it running dry, which can be solved with valvelube......... You can probably tell that I really wanna do this lol I will start a new thread hopefully we can come across some people who have done this..

Dont forget you can always switch to petrol when you wanna!!
Old 03 January 2010, 03:28 PM
nm1
Scooby Regular

whats the point i n buying a type r with all its lightweight stuff and jamming a dirty great tank in the boot, its like putting a diseal engine into her, or is just me who thinks its an awful idea, no offence mate but there is no way i want to own a scooby which ran on gas, i couldnt do it, why why why i dont get it, if you dont wont to put petrol in it i wouldnt buy a scooby,
Old 03 January 2010, 03:34 PM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

im not a fan of lpg but i dont do long journeys i did see a skyline today on the bay with lpg
Old 07 January 2010, 02:28 AM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

play with the diff lock on wet grass and you can see the car change its attitude 1st position can swap ends really easy on grass move it up and you can get real good drifts going on..... on grass no damage to tyres or any thing just dont **** no one off... lol
Old 07 January 2010, 11:42 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

LPG + SCOOB = NOOOOOO!!!

We have removed countless LPG kits after rebuilding the engine!

If you are serious about LPG sell it!

Cheers

Ads