Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumpsteer mod. Can it be undone?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2001, 03:53 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I'll be delighted with this modification when (if) I get round to having it done.

I'd be even happier to do it though, if I knew it wasn't permanent and I could undo it.

Rich
Old 23 February 2001, 03:57 PM
Miserable
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Why would you want to remove the best settings available?

R U a madman?

Weird
Old 23 February 2001, 04:49 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Okay,

Based on how much everyone raves about the bumpsteer mod, it's unlikely I would want to reverse it.

However:

1. Warranty - my car still has more than 2 years of IM warranty left. If I have a problem with my suspension after having the bumpsteer mod done, I suspect my warranty may be at risk. The risk might be slim, but I'd like to know in advance that I was doing something irreversible to my car before I do it.

2. Lift off oversteer etc - it has been said before that handling can be a subjective, personal issue - as I've already said I'm sure I will love the mod, but what if I don't?

Miserable,

I thought this was a valid question - do you actually know the answer?

Rich
Old 23 February 2001, 04:56 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

The Steering rack is shimmed up. To remove the Bumpsteer just remove the shims.
Old 23 February 2001, 04:57 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rich

it is as easy to undo as it is to do in the first place

DJ

ps I am sure you will love it
Old 23 February 2001, 06:05 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Before any money changes hands at Powerstation, they will encourage you to go for a drive with the new settings.

I think you'll find you come back with a big grin and absolutely no intention of changing it back !!!

If you really are not happy then they would offer to change it back I'm sure as they're tippity top top top guys!!!

Matt.
Old 23 February 2001, 06:10 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is one of these things?
Old 23 February 2001, 06:15 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Read DAVERB's post in the suspension forum
A great explaination
Old 25 February 2001, 01:34 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

RichS,

Very valid question. Try to find a try a car with it done, and decide whether you want to do it.

I tried it and didn't like it at all - the car felt very wobbly / unstable (I guess something that some people enjoy and can utilise, but I personally thought it was cr@p).

So my advice is to make up your own mind, don't believe the hype!

Cheers
Old 26 February 2001, 12:01 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gary Foster:
<B>... as I am not a particularly good driver. Ho hum.[/quote]There are plenty of aftermarket driver-improvement mods available too!! Reasonable prices, they don't affect the resale value of the car <I>and</I> the improvements are automatically fitted to any other car that you buy, free of charge!!

Seriously, it's up to the driver. People buy Imprezas because of the way that they handle, but they don't suit everybody. The same goes for any aftermarket modification that alters the car, be it suspension, engine, exhausts, or even gold wheels!
Old 26 February 2001, 11:23 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got a trip to MIRA planned this spring/summer, so I'll probably have the bumpsteer done just before.

Will report back...

Old 26 February 2001, 11:44 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Subarussian:
<B>I tried it and didn't like it at all - the car felt very wobbly / unstable (I guess something that some people enjoy and can utilise, but I personally thought it was cr@p).

So my advice is to make up your own mind, don't believe the hype![/quote]

If that's the case I would suggest that there was something else wrong with the car - the 4 wheel tracking alignment setup that comes with the Bump Steer Mod makes the car feel more "planted" and stable the whole time, but really comes in it's own when cornering hard. It's way more stable under braking too.

Check out another Scooby that's had this done and I'd be surprised if you still think this is the case. I've driven three Scoobs with this done now and they were all excellent (one of these three is mine BTW).

I really don't think it's hype, it's really obvious when you drive your car for the first time out of Powerstation that this is a Quality mod for peanuts!!!

Matt.
Old 26 February 2001, 11:48 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Subarussian

I thought the same as yourself initially, but thought I'd leave it on for a week or two to get used to it. It really does do what it says on the box though (ie reduce / remove understeer under hard cornering).

It is a personal thing though, it definitely does feel completely different and there's no doubt that oversteer is now easier to achieve (due to higher cornering speed).

I personally would like it removed for road driving and put back on for the track as I am not a particularly good driver. Ho hum.

Gary
Old 26 February 2001, 11:55 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Mutant_Matt

My car had been 4 wheel aligned the week before at Michel Dever (I am a stickler for correct geometry).

Not sure I agree about the feeling more planted thing, car's more darty - ie it actually steers immediately you move the wheel. This feels very odd as all the other road cars I've driven have a sort of dead spot when driving straight ahead. And as soon as I turned a corner fast I nearly drove up a kerb.

It still catches me out now if I come from driving a hire car to the Scoob again.
Old 26 February 2001, 01:32 PM
GP
Scooby Regular

could someone enlighten me as to whether any BS corrected cars are also lowered in any way, if not, do lowered scoobs have a proportionally larger movement of the steering rack to compensate or no ?

[This message has been edited by GP (edited 26 February 2001).]