Sponsored by:

sti test drive

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2002, 11:10 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been for a test drive and have to say i was less than impressed
the performance isnt as good as my my00 (scoobysport exhaust, k&n induction)
obviously with a scoobysport exhaust (allthough worried about warranty issue) and the coming ppp it probably will be the same performance as mine
but beside a few niggly things i didn`t like the main thing i didn`t like was as it was raining evertime i put some power down the car slithered sideways and i didn`t feel i was totally in control of it and bearing in mind it will be getting extra power this problem would be worse with my car it dose wheelespin slightly but it aims it in the right direction
so i am a little worried £1000.00 deposit man.
Old 19 March 2002, 11:14 AM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

I did the same... MY00 with few bit'n'pieces added on for effect ! Though the STI 7 lacked power for all the hype (if you look at it, 261 BHP take it through the diff, gearbox transmission etc and you'll be lucky to get 200 bhp at the wheels..) and had understeer, keeping my car...
Old 19 March 2002, 11:28 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

what i am dreading is when i have get the sti i meet my old my00 and it woops my ar*e how depressing would that be
Old 19 March 2002, 11:35 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Look, what is it with everyone saying that these cars aint as good as your modified uk turbos???
I own an MY00 with PPP and scoobymania downpipe, have 17 inch prodrive alloys on (pd7's) and uprated brakes...
First things first... i got my MY00 with 7!!!! miles on the clock, she was tighter than a knats bits to say the least, my old 306 GTi-6 was more capable than my new scoob to start with, but the second you put breathing mods on the car livens up, so, considering that the STI type UK has an even more restrictive exhaust than a uk turbo dont you think that given the fact you could put an exhaust on and it will be a little more lively???
And in the wet... well i even get my car to slide sideways in the wet and ive SO2's on! but the STI IS a better car, you may not think so but when was the last time you tried braking right up to the corner??? you cant do it in the classics, they wag their tail at you saying NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! yet in the STI you can, and the brakes, well, lets just say that you would need an AP 6 Pot set up to be in the same league as the ones fitted to the STI, and basically the better build, the better engine, the better handling (and trust me it does handle better, but for confirmation ask Dave T-S as hes owned MY00's, MY01 and now MY02 STI's so i think hes evolved more than most on here )
Ok, my dealer fits a different exhaust to their cars to give them a little more go, but thats just a breathing mod and at 100miles the damn thing flew, so imagine at 7k miles what the cars going to be like???
You cannot expect miracles out of a new car in performance, but the handling is MUCH improved over the standard and classic shapes...
Remember this, when i got my MY00 with 7 miles on the clock, and after about 2k i had a race with a honda civic vtec 1.8, i had problems keeping up!! and that was a standard car!!
Now i have no problems as my car is RUN IN!!!!!
I Love me scoob but she felt numb after i got back in to her after the STI test drive and shes quicker than yours! (around 260-270bhp now)
The STI type UK is a vast improvement from Subaru, one day your going to wish you had driven it properly when one passes you!! (and try keeping up with one on the twisties, not a hope in hell)

Tony
Old 19 March 2002, 12:24 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Said Tony(Again)

Its a pity people keep doing incorrect comparisons like a brand new engine with a few hundrew miles on it compared to a well run in engine with additional mods.

Surely to god it must be obvious to someone who drives the STI that it is of better quality, handles better and drives better.
Old 19 March 2002, 01:26 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Did someone call??

As Tony says, Carolyn and I have owned six Imprezas between us - MY00, MY01 and STi.

I can only speak of my own experience - our daily commute is 14 miles cross country on rural B roads - mainly national speed limit.

My MY01 had Leda, AP 6 pots, 18" S03's.

The STi leaves it for dead, and at any given point is probably 10-15 mph faster, for the same input. Note the STi has a full decat, which makes a BIG difference. When it has 5000+ miles on it will really fly.

The Suretrac front diff makes it drive like a totally different car, and it will spook some people.

As I say though, IMHO.
Old 19 March 2002, 01:48 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

262 bhp so i`d like to know how your`s is faster than mine any day mate and we will see who`s is faster
i am allready fed up replying to your comments you are so biased to subarus its unbeleivable
i have owned mine from new and i have done several trackdays it dosn`t make me great but it also dosn`t mean i dont know anything about cars
i have put down £1000.00 on a £26000.00 silver one so i think i am entitled to be worried especially as i am not the only one subaru sales are down 45%
so get your heads out of your ars*s there are other cars out there

Old 19 March 2002, 02:03 PM
dan4
Scooby Regular

X Scooby,
If there are other cars out there and you are so concerned about the STi, why are you buying one? Wouldn't a test drive before you put your deposit down have been a sensible idea? The comments that you have made about the STi are similar to those made by people about the new WRX when it came out. Shame that people don't realise that no amount of b!tching about the new cars will not encourage Subaru to start making the old model again. The new cars are an improvement over the old ones FACT. Live with it or buy an evo.
Old 19 March 2002, 02:04 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Err....I hope that wasn't in reply to my comments - which were my own opinion only and merely comparing our STi's to Imprezas we have previously owned.....
Old 19 March 2002, 02:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Trust me mines pretty quick
even when she was poorly she still pushed 240lbs of torque, the downpipe probably added 15-20bhp so that equates to more like 270bhp and 260lbs of torque.... hmmmmmm pretty fast and great brakes too!
As for subaru having 45% sales reductions... should see my local dealer.. 20 STI's sold already, and im not the only one whos impressed with this car, as Dave T-S has stated and hes probably in a better position than you, these are a vast improvement, and they are, and as for having my head up my ****, well, why the **** did you put a deposit on one then? i think if you didnt like the car then surely you wouldnt have put a deposit down???
The only reason ive not got a Type UK at the moment is due to work commitments abroad otherwise id have purchased my STI Type UK already, and if you think that a classic is anywhere near as good then im sorry, your either not driving the car right or you think that having a few track days under your belt makes you a better driver.... think again!
You have IMHO 2 options,
1. go get your money back
2. Shut the **** up!

Tony[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 March 2002, 02:08 PM
Pooder
Scooby Regular

I have ordered an STI test drove one a couple of weeks ago it was faster than my 98 Turbo by a good margin despite only having 1300miles on it. I have had my 98 turbo from new and it got progressivly faster until at about 45000 miles I reckon it was fully run in. The STI feels strangled due to emission controls.
Power Engineering reckon 290-300bhp will be achievable with little effort.First thing to do is get rid of those cats
Old 19 March 2002, 02:09 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i put the £1000.00 down before i test drove it
i know that sounds stupid but becouse i love subarus i was expecting better things
i will be test driving an evo next week
and then the question will be answered
Old 19 March 2002, 02:11 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chaps, come on, calm down. I just think there's been a few peeps slagging the STi (IMHO ) unfairly which was the (main) basis of Tony's points. I know where you're coming from though because I drove the STi and it didn't feel much faster than my 244bhp/247ft-lbs UK MY00 but it did feel tight. I was a little disapointed with the performance, the handling and the brakes, but really I was being unfair when I look back as my car was (as Tony said) tight as a tight thing ( ) when it was new and the brakes probably take some time to bed in propertly too.

I put the handling (a bit vauge, pulled to the left, a little "floaty") mainly down to the usual Subaru lack of Geometry setup when it leaves the factory/dealership. I've since been in a 3000 mile STi with eibachs (+ proper Geom), full Scoobysport and the difference is staggering. So staggering in fact that I got out and went and ordered one - I only went for a blat with a friend to see what it was like

I think that we all forget just how tight our scoobs were when new as they loosen up loads.

X Sooby, don't buy the STi m8 ( ), stick with your UK car as it seems that far too many peeps are buying the STi and they are going to become common as muck

Just all IMHO of course.....

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 3/19/2002 2:17:01 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 02:14 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

dave ts you put that post up just before i put mine up so no i am not at all aiming it at you as you probably have the best experiances of scubes
your comments go along with mine have the decat done and the car will be a different animal
Old 19 March 2002, 02:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ok,
So i apologise for loosing my rag then i give you some good information, but here goes, im posting this on here that you emailed to me to let everyone see what sort of person you really are! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 19 March 2002, 02:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Angry

Here is what i sent Mark first, removing the name of said dealer.

Sorry if i got a little annoyed its just as said, alot of people slate these cars off cos of their lack of performance, the test drive i had was in a car with 100miles on the clock BUT it did have a Jap innovations exhaust on ;O) so it did actually fly (2 cats off).
As for the cost.... dont tell anyone i said this but try to get your 1k back ;O) call (dealer name removed) and you will get a Prodrive car for exactly the same price your paying for your none prodrive car + you get the jap innovations exhaust, the free (i think) option for different lights and clear side indicators...
Give it a try

Regards
Tony

This is the reply i got back!

XXXXXXXXXXX phone it now mate and we can arrange to meet and then you can do the man thing and tell me to shut the f**k up

(removed the swear words due to kids)
By the way, i posted mine sayin scoobynet post, the reply came back saying to55er but without the 5's

Edited to remove phone number - JohnS

[Edited by JohnS - 3/19/2002 5:16:45 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 06:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Looks like Mark needs to grow up a little bit then doesnt it.

Chip.
Old 19 March 2002, 07:12 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Test driving any scooby with less than 5k on the clock is a waste of time! I drove a MY99 when it was new and the new MY01 and my VTS would have destroyed both of them, they were that slow. I then drove an MY99 with 14,000 on the clock and the difference was unreal!! What's worried me about this thread is everyone that recons the new STI is miles better than the classic standards, yadda, yadda. You make out like the difference is night and day. I just came off an airstrip today in my standard VTS where I got 19secs 0-100 in the wet (FWD remember!). I've driven the standard run-in MY99 and would only just describe that as 'significantly' quicker than the saxo and it's 14secs to 100. If you applied the same logic (i.e. the STI being miles faster than MY99) then that means the STI could do 0-100 in about 9-10secs (Faster than new M3 and into 911 and 360M territory) Think NOT lads!! The STI when run it will be quicker all round than the classics, otherwise nobody would buy it, but the difference would be quite marginal in real terms on the road. I personally wouldn't buy one cause:

a: Don't have the money
b: Still haven't sorted those eyes (lights)
c: Getting too expensive and into a new league of cars (against the scooby ethos IMHO)

Don't mean to offend just trying to get you STI lads to keep it all relative.
Old 19 March 2002, 08:07 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

HAA HAAA HAAAA STi7's are shat, pure shat, get your money back and come to the darkside the EVO is waiting, YOU WILL SH*T YOUR PANTS M8 there is no comparison they are everything you could want, inc. the small tank lololololololol,
J
Old 19 March 2002, 08:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Talking

And those lucky 100 who will get an E7 . Most be a big market seller to import a whole 100 cars .

Old 19 March 2002, 08:38 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

jason b = dobber
Old 19 March 2002, 08:40 PM
STI PRODRIVE FAN
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Hi I had a quick test drive(20 mins) of the NEW STI and admit at first i wasnt too keen on it for obvious reasons as detailed above.

But having been lucky enough to get the STI for 36hr evaluation my driving style adapted to the new 4,000 rev turbo cut in and it was an absolutely amazing drive.

Yes, you have to rev it up higher than the older turbos but once you get used to that its a burst of kidney busting power that simply doesnt stop till you are up to 130.

Test drive the car again but this time adapt to it and you will have a permanent smile on your face for hours.

Ive ordered mine which i get in 3 weeks and just cant seem to make the time go fast enough.
Old 19 March 2002, 08:52 PM
cico
Scooby Regular

Just my point of view.
let's check this : STI 1480 kg / 300 bhp (i fancy a decat sys. and a filter kit)... you have 4.93 kg/bhp ratio
then you have a MY '98-99-00 1240 kg / 250 (same solution)...
4.96 kg/bhp ratio ... which is better.
i'm not afraid of a challenge against a Sti also because if i meet a standard one i'll eat it !
conclusion.
we (as old Impreza's owners with those mods)won't be impressed driving a STI 'cause we alredy have that ratio then if you have the brakes modified...
this is physics not feelings
As far as i am concerned i'll keep my old shape impreza as longer as i can and my next car will be a Sti but just because it's a logical consequence and THE ONLY POSSIBLE CHOICE
bye M8
Cico
Old 19 March 2002, 09:02 PM
GMS
Scooby Newbie

Wink

X-Soooby,
Are you willing to try like for like.
Try a de-cat STi7 with youre MY and then tell me that there is now difference.But straight line acceleration is not everything.
The overall handling let alone how quite it is puts it way ahead of the MY00.I still have my MY00 and went for a drive in it the other day after a weeks break , well it really is like chalk and cheese. It produced 276bhp and 250lbft at PE so had a bit of go in it.
The STi produced 307bhp and 280lbft.Now I know all the fuss about power to weight ratio, but explain if anyone can how that a Skyline producing 280bhp seems to produce quite incredible figures if the magazines are to be believed if it weighs alot more than the STi.
The close ratio gearbox on the STi does make up quite alot of the weight disadvantage.
I am happy with the figures the car produced and more than happy with the performance.

Flame suit on

GMS
Old 19 March 2002, 09:03 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

This BBS constantly amazes me. I'm totally behind Tony on this (being an ex Sailor some might say thats the right position )

I dont even own a Scooby at present, but after 6 of them inc MY99 WR, MY00, P1 and UK300 PPP I feel quite happy in my conclusions.
The other week I test drove a P1 back to back with the STI. As for speed I'd suggest some of the people that complain look at the speedo. People seem to get confused by the power delivery of the old shape and pure speed. Fact the UK STI is quicker between 30-70 than a P1. Fact its only .5 sec slower to 100 than a P1. Fact its about 2 secs quicker to 100 than a MY00 with PPP. Now add a PPP and what have you got

The UK STI is the most complete Scooby todate. Ive just flogged my E46 M3 and am looking for a new car. Two things are for certain.

1. It wont be a P1. Past its sell by date and flawed in the company of a UK STI

2. An EVO VII just doesnt make the grade. They need all the help they can get from Autocar to shift them. Should be sold alongside 340R's as a track day only car. Dont see what the fuss is about.

Still not sure I'll rejoin the Jap Pack, but if I do it will be in a UK STI.

Jonathan
Old 19 March 2002, 09:15 PM
GATSO
Scooby Regular

Dear oh dear you will be getting the worthers origanals out next !!!!!! I have owned two P1s a uk300 and have now ordered a STI I have looked at the EVOs 6 and 7 and have been at a loss to see what all the fuss is about, have to say I prefer the charisma GDI never mind my opinon horses for courses and all that.Is the STI better for sure it is as tasty as tasty can be.Tightness is not the issue in this company bottle is, and you need plenty to explore the limits of that car no question, anyone who thinks thay can tame one needs to get out more.........race tracks are for girls and single seaters welsh forrest are for heros
Old 19 March 2002, 10:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on Jonathan's data above:

Is a P1 really 2.5 seconds quicker to 100 than a MY00 PPP?

Quicker 30-70 in the UK STi with 14 BHP less and 200kg more than a P1?

What is the source of these numbers?

The UK STi must be really amazing to get these results with only 178bhp/ton? Must try one...

[Edited by john banks - 3/19/2002 10:33:04 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 10:54 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

errr - are you not forgetting the gearing ?
Old 20 March 2002, 07:00 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

OK Slight mistake on the 0-100 time vs the PPP its only around a second. But the P1 is only about 2 secs quicker than a MY00 PPP.

As Russell says the gearing will make up for some of the difference.
The UK STI has been tested at 4.7secs 30-70 through the gears, whereas the P1, STI's have been tested at 4.8. Autocar one source.

The reality is that on the road none of the cars above will get away quickly. The extra refinement of the UK STI masks the feeling of speed IMHO. To some I would agree thats not good, but to the person that drives lots of miles its great.

Jonathan
Old 20 March 2002, 07:11 AM
BretMan
Scooby Regular

Evo 7:

- Range - crap
- Interior - crap
- 5 speed versus 6 speed
- Peformance, approx the same or slightly better...

Hmmm easy decision. I bought the STI7

Quick Reply: sti test drive