Info on Legacy GTB required

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2002, 02:00 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Due to my mum becoming increasingly worried about car-jackings, it looks like my dad is going to sell the Impreza - doh!

I am now trying to persuade him to look at a Legacy GTB, as I have said that these are probably less of a target - is this true?

Does anyone own one and can therefore give me any details on the standard spec, the best model, year, etc to go for? I'm afraid I know nothing about them. Also, what is the performance like? Is it similar to Impreza Turbo?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 18 March 2002, 06:05 PM
tonethebone
Scooby Newbie

I had an original Impreza ('94 UK model) Turbo before the Legacy, so my comments are compared with that rather than the newer beasts.
The Legacy is far more "grown up" than the Impreza. This means less peaky,softer suspension, quieter, roomier and dare I say it, almost luxurious if you get the right trim level. Go for the e-tune to get leather,superior stereo, twin sunroofs, reclining rear seats, blacked out windows and so on. The auto has less power than the manual and I thinlk the change is pretty poor.
While not as fast from a standing start as the Impreza, I have seen 170 on an empty autoroute and above about 80mph it is definitely substantially quicker. Due I think to higher output (at least 280bhp) and a slippier body.
As a high-speed, long distance cruiser it is superb. As a boy-racer you'd be better off with the Impreza.
Bad points:
Fuel economy is about the same as the Impreza but it must have Super unleaded or Optimax or you will get problems
Valley of Death (VOD) The first turbo spools up at about 1500 rpm and the second at about 3500, thereafter giving loads of power to the red line. The problem is that when the second turbo gets air it robs the first, leading to a flat spot between 3500 and 4000, which is exactly where you usually want most torque. You can drive round it using the gears but frankly it's sometimes a real pain. The Legacy groups are full of people trying to fix it
but nobody has come up with a good solution yet.
Maintenance is not exactly cheap, but then mine is serviced by my local Subaru garage (ex-Prodrive semi-official import) and I think they are trying to make a point. Reliability has been typically bullet-proof.
Insurance is Group 20, so correspondingly jaw-dropping. I live in the country, have 6 years no-claims, and still pay £1,2000 a year.
Overall it suits us very well and is far lower profile than the Impreza.
Old 19 March 2002, 01:05 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

How much premium are u paying?? £12k?
GT-B is a very good car, probably unique in it's class. Get the B4 if the extra load space isn't needed.
Old 19 March 2002, 02:59 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

clarence,

Probably looking to spend about 12k - 15k.

After posting I had a look around and saw the Legacy B4, which I like the look of. However, I did a search and can't find any useful information on it. How much are they, how quick, etc? Saw a pic of the B4 RSK Blitzen, but think this is probably too much?? Are all B4's imports? I'm afraid I know very little about the Legacy.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 19 March 2002, 07:49 PM
Scooby Si
Scooby Regular

Smile

I am having a 95 GTB estate imported at the moment thanks to Miguel of Newera Imports. Due to have it mid-Late April.

£6000 for a Manual one.

Best Quote for insurance at the moment is £699 from Elephant.co.uk

Old 20 March 2002, 01:41 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Yes, B4 is only available as a Jap spec car, so import only. They have the same power as GT-B (i.e. 260ps for auto & 280ps for manual) and the car is slightly lighter. The auto is a 4-speed tiptronic.
There are 2 series of Blitzen cars, the first one was in 2001 and they also have a 2002 version, but I think the price premium is too much.
I think u can get a new B4 for abt £21-22k.
Old 20 March 2002, 01:42 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

I think u can get a 99 B4 for abt £15k from a reputable dealer.
Old 20 March 2002, 01:57 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Clarence,

Is it possible to get a good B4 for circa £14k - £15k? What about the Blitzen for this price?

What is the spec like, because my dad would now like things like air con, leather, etc, (he's getting old and decrepid).

Do you know of a UK website where I can get some info on the B4 and Blitzen? Things like spec, performance and 2nd hand prices, etc.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just completely clueless.

Cheers,
Tom

[Edited by Tom Evans - 3/20/2002 1:59:08 AM]
Old 20 March 2002, 08:40 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

an e-tune doesn't have leather as standard.

they can run on 95 ron fuel but peformance and economy suffer.

the earlier models had a normal 4 speed auto not the later tiptronic one.

facelift late 96, increased power to 280ps as wll as some cosmetic changes. GT-B comes with Bilstein suspension and 17" wheels.

I've had 3 of em. Insurance was no more than any other car I've owned, the auto's are not nearly as quick IMO.
Old 20 March 2002, 12:05 PM
B4 Boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

We Got a B4 in January and to be honest it has to be the best car we have ever owned!! We paid £15,500 from Park Lane in Alton.

If you have any questions drop us a line, we searched for months for this car so I know a few places that still have them for this price.

Matt
Old 20 March 2002, 03:30 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Don't think u can get a Blitzen at that price, cos the production is very limited & I'm not sure whether any importers here imported large numbers of them. Also, the oldest Blitzen is too young in terms of age.
The B4 comes in cloth & part leather seats, climate a/c is standard (don't worry, all Jap cars have a/c as standard) and u get a single cd+cassette player as standard (made by Kenwood). Options for the B4 includes sport pack (black out windows + rear spoiler), side airbags (not available with leather seats), blue+black 2 tone leather and Mclintosh sound system (looks like a £10k home hi-fi). The car was facelifted in 2001 for MY2002 & it has restyled headlamps & different rims. Sunroof is a new option for 2002. Note that cars from 2001 onwards have standard cd+md player. which replaced the cassette. Do u want auto or manual? The auto has tiptronic change as standard.
Basically, the Blitzen has a fancy bodykit, different rims & leather interior as standard.
It is a very good car, I don't think u'll find it quick after the Impreza cos it's incredibly refined, it just doesn't feel quick even if u're driving very fast.