ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

external wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2009, 05:14 PM
bigbarry04
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external wastegate

i quite fancy getting an external wastegate (for the noise!! ) would i have to change my turbo? is it only certain turbos that it can be done with?

*my car is a 2003 wrx*
Old 20 November 2009, 06:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Its normally fitted to rotated turbos. I can't see any benefit in modifying a turbo to use one
Old 20 November 2009, 07:18 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

What do you mean by noise, a screamer pipe or the 'flutter' sound you hear rally cars making? If your after flutter try blanking off the dump valve and that will force air the wrong way through the turbo when you lift off making it flutter.

Not sure the standard turbos like it though. I run an MD321H and was told it doesn't damage it

Anders
Old 20 November 2009, 07:56 PM
bigbarry04
Scooby Regular

the flutter noise what do you mean about blanking the dump valve?
Old 20 November 2009, 08:38 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i.e get rid of the dump valve and blank the port off, this forces the air the wrong way accross the turbo compressor wheel causing it to flutter. The flutter noise is amplofoed further if you have a front mount intercooler btw.

I would not reccommend the above though mate, as it could become very costly if something fails. IS it really worth it? and can you afford to take the chance?

Last edited by STI_Baly; 20 November 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:30 AM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

i was always curious as to how the WRC cars got that flutter noise as well.
What's the point in it then if it's damaging to the turbo?
Old 21 November 2009, 12:41 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MK2VTR8VALVE
It assists in the lag area, basically with no dump valve the pressure is not vented to air therefore retaining alot of the pressure within the system which gives very minimal/noticeable lag.

I mean no lag in championships could be those 2 seconds on a whole course which could decide 2nd or 1st place.

I hope you get my drift
Old 21 November 2009, 12:59 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MK2VTR8VALVE
As Baly says, running with no DV improves throttle response at the expense of ultimate turbocharger reliability. However, in a racing environment, when the improvement gains you seconds, you live with it - and the necessity both to develop a very robust high performance (and very expensive) turbo, along with the necessity to service it every few hundred stage kilometres.

On a roadcar, you want your turbo to last a bit longer than that, so the balance between outright performance and reliability is a little different.

And, edited to add for the OP, Impreza WRC turbochargers have always used internal wastegates, so, as has been said, if you're looking for that sort of noise, there's simply no need to go the way you were thinking.

Last edited by Splitpin; 21 November 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 01:16 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

the thread just got more interesting i was running a 20G without a DV it made such a nice sound ive been with out a DV for nearly 2 years now with no problems i currently have an S206 with out DV and still no problem so you guys recon i should put back a DV dare i say i just thought it sounded a bit chavy as every car had one and wanted something diffren

i do love the sound of a screamer pipe and external wastegate on boost sounds the nuts
Old 21 November 2009, 01:27 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Lol Mus you Chav........the S206 is a an aftermarket turbo therefore the compressor wheel and housing should actually be robust enough to do it. But nevertheless you must remember that turbos are not designed with this in mind. So again the question is how long will it continue to do this?

I've also got a sneaky suspicion that this may void your warranty if it did come to it (touch wood it doesn;t). We all know that decent aftermarket turbochargers are not cheap.

Oh i love the chatter/flutter myself and if i could afford to chance it i probably would. hehe

Last edited by STI_Baly; 21 November 2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 03:09 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI_Baly
Lol Mus you Chav........the S206 is a an aftermarket turbo therefore the compressor wheel and housing should actually be robust enough to do it. But nevertheless you must remember that turbos are not designed with this in mind. So again the question is how long will it continue to do this?

I've also got a sneaky suspicion that this may void your warranty if it did come to it (touch wood it doesn;t). We all know that decent aftermarket turbochargers are not cheap.

Oh i love the chatter/flutter myself and if i could afford to chance it i probably would. hehe

i better speak to martyn and allan just to be safe would it need tweeking?and apart from the noise any other benfits apart from been a chav with that woosh sound
Old 21 November 2009, 04:33 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

If you want a bit of noise just drill a series of 3mm holes close to the top of your downpipe, three or four are enough and you only need a cordless drill and 3mm steel bit. Very cheap and very effective.
With a bit of overfuel you even get pops and bangs for nothing. Not advisable but a really cheap solution.
An external wastgate runs on a turbo without a wastegate funnily enough. The turbo on your car will have an integral wastegate. Therefore you need to change your turbo, get a twisted pipe kit and remote WG. Budget £2k but if making a noise is that important good luck with it but the drill and bit trick should receive serious consideration. Far more cost effective.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:00 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Harvey i bet That smells nice blowing back through the cabin.

I have seen external waste gate set ups with standard position turbos where the waste gate is welded closed, with the up pipe being modified to house the tail waste gate and screamer pipe. All noise and no power
Old 21 November 2009, 05:24 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Neil, If you are bothered about gassing yourself put the holes in the downpipe at the far end under the driver's seat where the air flow take the gasses away. Problem solved. The reason for having them close to the turbo end is to get it to the point where the gas is hottest so you get best pops and bangs for your efforts.
This works really well on stock cars where we are not particularly interested about the niceties of exhaust gas but as we have no windscreens or any other glass for that matter exhaust gas entering the cabin has never been an issue.
Old 21 November 2009, 05:56 PM
miss_scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, i have just look at what dump valve is fitted to my car as not really looked since owning the car and I have a bailey dump valve, chromey looking, is this a good thing or should I change it for something more suitable, if so change it to what?? thanks guys vick x
Old 21 November 2009, 06:17 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Lol Harvey, i have never heard of the holes in the down pipe principle but i can see the logic.

Vick - the dump valve is fine, leave it as it is.
Old 21 November 2009, 09:42 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Im gassing myself everyday harvey, there was a smiley missed of my post
Old 22 November 2009, 08:16 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Yes Neil, mine was in jest too