Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Open Source maps - MY00 Turbo 2000??

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2009, 01:21 PM
ross_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Source maps - MY00 Turbo 2000??

Are the ECU's for the MY00 Turbo 2000 Open Source mappable yet?

If so does anyone know anyone good who is mapping using Open Source?

Old 20 November 2009, 01:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Zak @ Mocom Racing
Old 20 November 2009, 01:30 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

After my mates latest experience I wouldnt go near a open source mapper now,
When it doesn`t go right you have very little come back, where with Ecutek they have backup, Ive seen a car mapped by a OS mapper and once he has taken the cash he hasnt been near or he is too busy with other customers so id stay well away,
There are threads on it on here and I think you will find that the known ecutek mappers get better results,
Ive seen wrx`s with more torque then he could get out of a sti lol shows you just how good they really are when you get the car on the rollers to check and not just the road and trust me when I tell you its runnin xx bhp bull.
Your paying your money and I wouldnt go down the OS mapper route ever again after what I have seen.
Old 20 November 2009, 01:43 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know what software people are using for open mapping of those year ECU's? I bought a Tactrix cable years ago wanting to have a look in my ECU and tweak things, but the open source software around wasn't able to do the JECS ECU.
Old 20 November 2009, 02:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
Does anyone know what software people are using for open mapping of those year ECU's? I bought a Tactrix cable years ago wanting to have a look in my ECU and tweak things, but the open source software around wasn't able to do the JECS ECU.
I wrote my own a couple of years back. The Tactrix cable does all you need electrically, and open source software written for a newage should allow you to download the existing ROM image off the ECU (as the command is the same). However the method of putting the JECS M32 processor into program mode and sending the new image to it is totally different to the newage ECUs - which is why the earlier OS stuff couldn't do it.

I have next to no knowledge of what the OS community are doing on the 99-00's but it was said on here t'other week that the process stood a good chance of bricking the ECU. If that is the case, I can only suggest that either the software is wrong, or the methodology is, as there's no good reason why the process shouldn't be 99.9% reliable. The reprogram code in the ECU itself is almost entirely fault-tolerant.

Also as Stig says, some of the OS people are top banana, some, from what I've seen, are doing nothing more than you could do yourself by downloading all the obvious tools off the web, and charging for it. It's the experience, knowledge and backup in the case of a problem that counts, and calling yourself "a mapper" doesn't mean you are.

Last edited by Splitpin; 20 November 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 20 November 2009, 03:14 PM
snOOpy86
Scooby Regular

Mocom Racing - Performance car and trackday products

so are mocom racing the only people able to remap a my00 ecu with out having to ecutek it or similar?
Old 20 November 2009, 03:27 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If I can do it (and it isn't particularly difficult to work out), there's no reason why others shouldn't be able to get it right.

However, the last time I did take a looksee what the OS lot were talking about re. the JECS ECUs, someone thought they'd worked out (or copied from somewhere else) the communications baud rate used in flash mode - but the figure quoted was wrong. Wrong only by a few percent, and probably close enough to "work", but wrong nevertheless.

If that mistake has been accepted without correction, it won't the reliability of the process any favours, which might explain the "bricking the ECU" comment noted earlier.

The one benefit of the EcuTeK setup is that it is a developed, long proven system rather than what is effectively a constantly evolving prototype.
Old 21 November 2009, 07:49 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

So where would be a good place to start? Who manufactures the M32? Surely there is a data sheet/user manual around for it?

Edit: think I've found one:
Here.

Last edited by Saint AAI; 21 November 2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 21 November 2009, 09:31 AM
playtime
Scooby Regular

here is what you need friend if you want to try open source remmaping

Main Page - OpenECU
Old 21 November 2009, 12:51 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

So where would be a good place to start? Who manufactures the M32? Surely there is a data sheet/user manual around for it?

Edit: think I've found one:
Here.
That's the correct datasheet, yep. You'll need one on M32 ASM and a disassembler if you're going to do anything useful with the ROM.

Last edited by Splitpin; 21 November 2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 02:29 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by playtime
here is what you need friend if you want to try open source remmaping

Main Page - OpenECU
Thanks, problem is I'm trying to be able to re-flash an MY99. When I looked into it before, you can upload a ROM image of the ECU with the available software, but reflashing it is a different story. On later ECU's people have already done all the hard work and you can just select what year car you have from a drop down list and away you go. On the 99-00's it seems you have to learn how the processor works, then dissasemble a ROM image to see whats going on and what goes where, edit your maps using the available software and then re-flash once you have written the definition files or what ever it is the software needs in order to successfully flash the ROM without bricking it. I think this is way over my head, but I enjoy a challenge so am gonna keep at it.

Although my ECU already has an Ecutek remap so is locked as I understand it? Which I'm not fully sure how it can be?

Originally Posted by Splitpin
That's the correct datasheet, yep. You'll need one on M32 ASM and a disassembler if you're going to do anything useful with the ROM.
M32 ASM? Is this it?

Last edited by Saint AAI; 21 November 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 03:26 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

www.fctuning.com is a legend
Old 21 November 2009, 06:27 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

On the 99-00's it seems you have to....
All that originally had to be done with the other ECUs too. The difference with the late JECS is that nobody has made a program publically available or made the details of the rom image or the programming method public so someone else can do so.

TBH while I think it'd be a good thing all round if EcuTeK had some genuine competition, I tend to be of the opinion that releasing this information into the public domain has more potential to do harm than than good in many cases. You only have to look at some of the people who are buying older cars now and ask how long it'd take for someone trying to save a few quid to knacker their car good and proper.

I'd much rather see people go to someone like Bob, Pat or Simon, shell out some money and drive away happy than start mucking around themselves and then be here a few minutes later moaning about their bust ECU or engine, or indeed moaning at whoever it was they downloaded their editing/flashing program from - which is a large part of the reason why I haven't let anyone else have mine. That particular genie is better off being kept in the bottle IMO. If someone else wants to let it out, that's their decision.

If you are prepared to put the effort in, it's worth sticking with as these JECS ECUs are surprisingly powerful with a lot of functionality already built in that isn't exploited as standard (and, indeed, to the best of my admittedly dated knowledge, not entirely by EcuTeK either). If you have the knowledge and facility to edit the firmware itself you can go even further.

Although my ECU already has an Ecutek remap so is locked as I understand it? Which I'm not fully sure how it can be?
Without one to look at I have no idea what they'll have done, but trying to put myself in EcuTeK's shoes there are a couple of obvious things that would make it diifficult to, for example, read and download the ROM image from an existing ECU, or put it back in flash mode once there was TeK code on it. However, ultimately, again provided you know the hardware and firmware properly, all things are possible.

Re that other file you found, yes, that'll do. Now you need an M32 disassembler, and it'd help a lot to have an oscilloscope (or frequency counter). If you already have a good understanding of analog and digital electronics, the general principles of what the ECU is trying to do, and the function of the various sensors, solenoids, relays and other devices connected to it, that will speed things up more than a bit.

Last edited by Splitpin; 21 November 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 21 November 2009, 06:53 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ross
Are the ECU's for the MY00 Turbo 2000 Open Source mappable yet?

If so does anyone know anyone good who is mapping using Open Source?
Heed the advice of Stig. I like Splipin's technical term of
bricking the ECU
I will remember this analogy for future reference.
In fairness here is what he said in total :
I have next to no knowledge of what the OS community are doing on the 99-00's but it was said on here t'other week that the process stood a good chance of bricking the ECU. If that is the case, I can only suggest that either the software is wrong, or the methodology is
To add to that, some open source mappers refuse to do M/Y 99 and 00.

Anyone advising you to do this on an M/Y 99-00 either does not know what they are talking about, has scant knowledge or does not mind giving duff and potentially expensive advice. As Splitpin said, speak to Bob Rawle or Pat Herbron who I am sure will give you unbiased factual information from a position of knowledge far greater than mine.
Old 21 November 2009, 08:27 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

erm. Following some research I am not even sure the 99-00 can be open sourced full stop which may be just as well.
Go for an ECUTEK if you want to retain the MAF Sensor but on these cars that is the Achilles Heel.
Old 21 November 2009, 10:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

isn;t the open source mapping software ripped off ecutek stuff form america?
Old 21 November 2009, 10:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Mine ain't, but nobody else has that. **** nose what the rest are claiming to use.

Funny thing was that, as mentioned above, the last time I did look around to see what they were doing, they seemed to have a load of information wrong.

So, if they've copied something else, they seem to have copied it incorrectly. There's an irony there somewhere.
Old 22 November 2009, 07:32 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Found a suitable disassembler, but its not that cheap and I don't fancy shelling out for it (ID Pro Advanced). Some googling however shows that I may be able to do it in Linux using Binutils so I need to get doing some reading. I'm an electrical engineer so have access to scopes, EEPROM programmer etc... and I'm used to programming PLC's and HMI's, but never looked at microprocessors before until now.
Old 22 November 2009, 01:46 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
After my mates latest experience I wouldnt go near a open source mapper now,
When it doesn`t go right you have very little come back, where with Ecutek they have backup, Ive seen a car mapped by a OS mapper and once he has taken the cash he hasnt been near or he is too busy with other customers so id stay well away,
There are threads on it on here and I think you will find that the known ecutek mappers get better results,
Ive seen wrx`s with more torque then he could get out of a sti lol shows you just how good they really are when you get the car on the rollers to check and not just the road and trust me when I tell you its runnin xx bhp bull.
Your paying your money and I wouldnt go down the OS mapper route ever again after what I have seen.
what mapper or company was this, and what happened?