Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Some old f@@kers just written my car off!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2009, 09:05 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some old f@@kers just written my car off!!

Cant believe im typing this, but an old guy has just written off my car when its parked up!!!!!

The stupid old B@ST@RD has blacked out at the wheel!!!!

In total he's hit 3 parked cars and probably written them all off!!

Firstly he hit a silver mondeo on the rear drivers side, bending the wheel under the car and shunting it 5 feet forwards.

Secondly dont ask me hows he done it cos god only knows, but somehow after hitting the parked mondeo, he's swerved back over to the left missing the front of the mondeo that he hit, and collided with the parked focus that was in front, which he has then shunted back into the front of my scooby!!!

As far as I can see, the bonnet, bumper, headlights, sidelights, passenger front wing and radiator are all fcuked!!
BUT the major problems is that now the radiator is pushed right up against the pulleys, so god only knows what its done to the engine.

The only lucky part about the whole thing is that i've just bought a zero sport slam panel that I was just going to go and fit 5 mins later!!!

Im just hoping and praying now that the insurance company doesnt write it off!!!

Marx

Last edited by Marx Mcrae; 03 November 2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 03 November 2009, 09:11 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear that.

it's a shame some things are beyond our control.
Old 03 November 2009, 09:13 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Id have been sat in it fitting a stereo or something "coughs" whiplash lol. gutted mate.
Old 03 November 2009, 09:13 PM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

OMG just looked at your pics here. All the best mate keep us informed
Old 03 November 2009, 09:16 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i feel for you mate, thing is incidents like this are just going to becomemore common, as time goes by.

there really needs to some guidlines brought in for elderly drivers.

3 days agao while going round a massive roundabout, with 3 lanes, some old guy comes off the slip road onto the roundabout and proceeds to head straight towards me, i had to swerve across the road, narrowly missing another car, and my mrs was behind me nearly slammed into me - he just trundled right past my window as i was swearing and trying to grab him through my window

the thing with old people is there unpredictable - boy racers, its easy, they drive to fast but atleast you can predict an incident and therfore be pre-warned.

old people just pull sh*T out th bag that you wouldnt even consider!

hope its not as bad as you think mate

Last edited by jef; 03 November 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03 November 2009, 09:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hows the old fella doing ! ?
Old 03 November 2009, 09:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get it written off and buy it back

..did similar damage to my early sti ( my fault ) and the engine was fine despite the same sort of injurys and the engine running at the time !

Last edited by dpb; 03 November 2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03 November 2009, 09:21 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate, someone done the same to me last weekend but no details where left and no witness
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...11-front-ended.
Old 03 November 2009, 09:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Slam panel, well at least you still have your legs !
Old 03 November 2009, 10:01 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

The amount of times ive been going round a roundabout and had some old person pull out n front of me is crazy, you can see their about to do it, so normally have time to brake, apply a squeeze of horn....to which half the time they dont seem to hear.

Thing is the DVLA just ask said old person if they still feel fit to drive, which they obviously say yes, and then their good to go, there needs to be some form of driving test for example once they reach 75 and every 5 years after that, that'll soon whittle the numbers down. Then there's those that drive half of any speed limit their in...

Anyone tell one of my pet hates is old drivers??
Old 04 November 2009, 10:22 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

f me mate... I had a similar thing went to a job and it was out in the derbyshire hills so on day two all my tools at the beautiful house nesseled in the hills so thought sod it ill take the scooby for a run. Anyway had a lovely drive out parked in the grounds of this house. Working away herd a engine redlining its nuts off ran out to see what the hell was going on to find the owner of this house had reversed straight into the side of my old wrx and was still on the gas pushing the door and front wing in .... Lol it was an old person too . I still did them a brill job but was tempted not too lol
Old 04 November 2009, 11:08 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes old drivers can be dangerous, but the fact he passed out has nothing to do with his ability behind the wheel. You just thank your lucky stars you were not fitting your slam panel at the time. How is the old fella? I think some compassion is required!
Anyways - assuming your car was not running at the time i can't see there being any engine damage as rads are soft as ****.
If the ins do write it off - buy it back and rebuild - it all looks pretty straight forward
Old 04 November 2009, 12:27 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem is that many go from a manual car to an auto as it's a bit much for them to change gear anymore! The mind then goes blank and they forget which pedal to press after a lifetime of using a clutch. So, after hitting one thing they move swiftly onto the next as the damn thing won't stall!

JohnD (pensioner of this parish!)
Old 04 November 2009, 12:30 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

damage might not be as bad as you think, engine will be fine even if the panel has been pushed back into the belts due to it not running. look spretty much like body work job to me
Old 04 November 2009, 03:16 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Yes old drivers can be dangerous, but the fact he passed out has nothing to do with his ability behind the wheel. You just thank your lucky stars you were not fitting your slam panel at the time. How is the old fella? I think some compassion is required!
Anyways - assuming your car was not running at the time i can't see there being any engine damage as rads are soft as ****.
If the ins do write it off - buy it back and rebuild - it all looks pretty straight forward
Everything he said.

Whilst i am as guilty as anyone swearing and such like at elderly drivers, the fact he blacked out isn't necesarily his fault - he may have had history with this or he may not.

Glad you're ok fella, could have been worse and do feel for you.

Last edited by renny; 04 November 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04 November 2009, 04:00 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

As far as I know the old guy is doing fine.
Poor guy was shaking like mad when he got out of the car, got him inside and phoned an ambulance for him and phoned his son in law.
Turns out the poor guy is dying of leukemia (doesnt affect his ability to drive)

Any way the car is STILL waiting to be recovered. I keep hounding the insurance company who are as puzzled as me as to why its still not recovered yet.
Am still waiting for a courtesy car to be dropped off too!!!!
Everyone else who's cars were hit have all been sorted with recovery and courtesy cars! Dont want it stopping on the road another night incase some little git trys nicking something from under the bonnet

Marx
Old 04 November 2009, 04:09 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
As far as I know the old guy is doing fine.
Poor guy was shaking like mad when he got out of the car, got him inside and phoned an ambulance for him and phoned his son in law.
Turns out the poor guy is dying of leukemia (doesnt affect his ability to drive)

Any way the car is STILL waiting to be recovered. I keep hounding the insurance company who are as puzzled as me as to why its still not recovered yet.
Am still waiting for a courtesy car to be dropped off too!!!!
Everyone else who's cars were hit have all been sorted with recovery and courtesy cars! Dont want it stopping on the road another night incase some little git trys nicking something from under the bonnet

Marx
Unfortunately this is the only way of finding out how good insurance companies really are - hope it's sorted soon fella
Old 04 November 2009, 07:42 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Totally gutting. A word of advice as I've been involved in a few write-off situations, some my fault and others not. Since this was not your fault in any way whatsoever as your car was parked (legally) at the time, it is the responsibility of the 3rd party's insurance company to see to it that your property is put back to the condition and state it was in immediately before the accident. They may try to tell you that it's not financially viable to repair due to cost of reparis being more than the 'value' of the car, but they cannot insist on this UNLESS you let them take the car away then it becomes more tricky.

SO, don't let them take your car, it remains your property until you agree otherwise, so don't hand it over. Tell them to send an engineer to get a report but don't let him have the keys (show him around of course).

tell them (if you decide this is what you want) that you want the car repaired as it's your pride and joy, you've spent lots of time and money getting it into tip-top condition etc (provide any evidence you have of this). Be polite but firm, don't let them bully you and feel free to think about anything they might offer before accepting it, in case you come to realise it's not a good deal.

It's your car, they (well their customer) broke it, they now have to fix it. Simple (in theory).

As a last resort, if they don't play along write to them saying that if they don't cooperate to your satisfaction you will be taking the matter to court. That should make them listen.

Good luck!
Old 04 November 2009, 08:12 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

you say old drivers are bad, but the pedestrians are much worse imo. i know, i ran one over 6 months ago!! 89 and senile, just hopped into the oncoming traffic, i swerved and side swiped him. just glad he never went over the bonnet. hope you get this sorted mate.
Old 04 November 2009, 09:02 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Well I finally got a courtesy car at 6pm tonight after alot of pissing about with the rental company. The insurance said I would get the car today but the rental company said no I would have to pick it up tomorrow night!!!
Anyway it eventually got sorted but I still had to go to there premisis to pick the car up.

Still havent heard anything about the car being recovered yet though. I've been on the phone to my ins brokers all day and all they could say was that I would be getting a call this afternoon to arrange the recovery.
Old 04 November 2009, 09:30 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
Well I finally got a courtesy car at 6pm tonight after alot of pissing about with the rental company. The insurance said I would get the car today but the rental company said no I would have to pick it up tomorrow night!!!
Anyway it eventually got sorted but I still had to go to there premisis to pick the car up.

Still havent heard anything about the car being recovered yet though. I've been on the phone to my ins brokers all day and all they could say was that I would be getting a call this afternoon to arrange the recovery.
Nightmare, hope you get it all sorted soon and back better than before
P.S. Check your courtesy car has tax my (almost) father in-laws courtesy car didn't when he got it from the company & it caused him a bit of trouble