Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what to do?! Sell the Scoob or what??

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2009, 12:13 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not sure what to do?! Sell the Scoob or what??

I'm having one of 'Those' moments guys and need your help

Basically i'm on my fourth Scooby now and IMO although not the quickest i've had it's easily the best looking.

I don't use my car for work anymore and only use it on a Monday and maybe at the weekends unless i begrudge putting the fuel in.My wife has a Micra CC that we use as it's good on the fuel.

Were trying for a baby at the moment and although it hasn't happend yet i feel the scooby will eventually become a 'Disposable Luxery' when he/she comes along so it will have to go sooner or later and we will need a semi normal/family car.It costs me £50 a month to insure and even though i hardly use it i must put at least £40 a month in fuel in it.I can't afford to modify it as i want which is also somthing that is pissing me off as i get bored easily

Should i sell now while i can still get half decent money for it and try and live without a Scooby?? I've tried before but i always end up coming back but i can't drive Scoobys forever??! No other car has ever made me feel the way they do though.

I also think that prices for late UK classics are a joke so can i even get a decent car for the money i'd get for mine?!

Rant over... any ideas?
Old 24 October 2009, 10:24 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

get new impreza diesel economy good speed if remapped and isofix fittings for baby
martin
Old 24 October 2009, 10:41 AM
smifffymoto
Scooby Newbie

From reading your post you've decided to get rid but just need to decide when.Get it sold now,buy a banger and get some cash saved for prams and nappies
Old 24 October 2009, 10:47 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PMSL @ smiffymoto - quality lol
Old 24 October 2009, 11:41 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

p1doc i should have said the cash i get for the Scoob will be all i have to go on another car so no new ones...otherwise the world would be my oyster as it were...

Cheers Smiffy you know how to ram reality home! lol

Might just have to get somthing like an old 3 series or somthing to roll around in and save up for somthing better?
Old 24 October 2009, 12:08 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

also think that prices for late UK classics are a joke so can i even get a decent car for the money i'd get for mine?!
Well quite ! why does having a baby have to force sale, nothing worse than resenting the little tyke for taking away the rest of your manhood ! is stealing your boob access, youth and uninterrupted sex not enough. Keep it for sanity

Only joking short answer, keep it.
Old 24 October 2009, 12:40 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

LOL cheers mate i know what your saying though...

The reason i sold my last one was because i wanted us to have a nice car for a baby but we ended up deciding it wasn't the right time..then i got a 182..then i got bored and now have the scooby.

I suppose part of me wants to not feel guilty for having a nice car even though i don't use it.And at the end of the day i can't afford to make it quicker/look better so i may aswell let somone else enjoy it?!
Old 24 October 2009, 12:48 PM
Scooby Senior

Don't feel guilty mate, I have a MY06 STi SpecD, done 286 miles since it's MOT in March. It's mine and I paid for it whether it gets driven or not. I drive it when I feel like it. You only live once, if you like it keep it, not everything has to make financial sense or pay for itself. Case in point babies make no financial sense and we all still have them

I think you have a nice classic there, looks better than the old one IMHO. They don't make them anymore and the New Age cars aren't as scoobyfied as the old skool imprezas.
Old 24 October 2009, 12:52 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Keep it. Is isnt going to be worth alot, sorry to say and I would think an old 3 series is going to be just as much to run (if not more). You know your car. If you are happy that there is nothing expensive coming up, I would keep running it.

I have 3 young kids, and our main family car has always been whatever scoob I had at the time. The boot is big enough for everything, you can easily get 3 kids across the back and at least when you are lugging the family about you can do it with a smile on your face!.

Furthermore, from a sensible (well sort of!) angle, the scoob has done the majority of its depreciation, so you will loose very little over the next few years if you keep it nice. Whatever else you buy will keep depreciating until it is worth zero.

Have I convinced you yet
Old 24 October 2009, 01:31 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Yeah true Lucky

I just get bored i suppose and see my **** that i can't spend money on it like i used to I got to happy with my last 320 brake and miss it.
Old 24 October 2009, 01:31 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

If your going to spend the money on another car your not doing it for the money but because you feel you need a family car. Lots of people use these as family cars, what is it that you think make it not sensible? maybe put a quieter exhaust on till the baby gets a bit older (not sure how loud it is). You've got a lovely looking car and if it was the money your after i'd say sell but to just replace it with another that you won't enjoy driving seems pointless unless it is to harsh for a baby ie suspension etc. As you have another car why don't you just wait and see how you get on when the baby finally comes along, you'll have plenty of takers from what i can tell looking at it if it isn't suitable.

Aaron
Old 24 October 2009, 01:39 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I've just looked at the pictures of the car, and I'm sorry, but you cant sell that .
Old 24 October 2009, 01:48 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Oh bugger

Case closed it's staying..lol thanks for making me see sense again guys..i'm off out for a blast
Old 24 October 2009, 01:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

If you sold you'd be back one day anyway we always do

TX.
Old 24 October 2009, 01:58 PM
smifffymoto
Scooby Newbie

I've had another thought about your dilema.If your house is anything like mine or like most blokes houses,it's not your decision whether the car stays or goes,IT'S YOUR WIFES.
Old 24 October 2009, 02:12 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by smifffymoto
I've had another thought about your dilema.If your house is anything like mine or like most blokes houses,it's not your decision whether the car stays or goes,IT'S YOUR WIFES.
We should start another thread 'shall i keep my wife/girlfriend or get rid'

My girlfriend said to me once that she would never make me choose between her and the car because she's not sure she would win, i said we better stop talking about it before one of us gets upset

Aaron
Old 24 October 2009, 02:14 PM
Scooby Senior

Old 24 October 2009, 03:07 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
Oh bugger

Case closed it's staying..lol thanks for making me see sense again guys..i'm off out for a blast
Good. Councelling session finished for the day
Old 24 October 2009, 04:14 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are a diehard like us lot...keep it.
Second hand values are rubbish. It doesnt have to be a daily driver. Keep it as your hobby car - escape mechanism
Get a cheap, bland **** box as a daily driver - something you can throw prams in and dont bat an eyelid if the sprog smeers goo and poo all over the headlining.

Glad you have seen sense.
Old 24 October 2009, 04:50 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same dilema, my missus bought the biggest pram on the market and although I could fit the sprog and the pram in the car, there was no room for the missus I ended up buying a £400 diesel laguna as the runaround which happily fitted evertyhing in, I punished that car every day for 2 years for being French,never serviced it and yet it still would not die.
I ended up selling it for £400 when my son got a bit older and reverted back to the subaru. I was kind of sad to see that laguna go as it had gained my respect after the punishment I gave it
Old 24 October 2009, 09:14 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Terminator this is already my 3rd time back to the fold so i doubt it would be my last mate

On the wife front she would always support me no matter what and likewise for me to her so no bother there.

Might have to buy a banger to run around in then hey Then we'd have 3 cars though which is another problem
Old 24 October 2009, 09:15 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
Good. Councelling session finished for the day

Cheers for your input mate