Sponsored by:

Version 6 sti ra - how good?

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2009, 04:53 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Version 6 sti ra - how good?

seen a sonic blue v6 sti ra for sale, 47k, fresh import, looks mint. anyway whats the opinion on this model? how will it compare to my last classic which was a v3 sti. not seen many for sale i take it they are quite rare/sought after? obviously first port of call would be andy forrest down the road from me for a remap, i presume this being a 00 model it would be an ecutek remap. whats the gearing like?
Old 29 September 2009, 04:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a Type RA which has the same gearbox ratios less DCCD and I found it a royal PITA on anything other than the shortest journeys. I sold to a lad who came all the way from sheffield and I did not envy him the drive back.

If you want raw and in your face then all is well and they are one of the more focused of the breed.

I think the quickest, lightest of them all is a V3 STI RA.
Old 29 September 2009, 05:09 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best classic Impreza to drive, but check out the gearing is suitable for your needs, long cruises can be tiresome with loud exhaust.
Old 29 September 2009, 05:41 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

read this for sale thread https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...v-limited.html

It gives you the info on gearing, which people always seem to get wrong when talking about the various RA models.

I used to do 1200 mile round trips in my STi5 RA, it's not a problem on this version of the car.
Old 29 September 2009, 06:05 PM
P1SWRT
Scooby Regular

It pretty much identical to the Version 5 (apart from some cosmetic changes). As mentioned the gearing can be tiresome on motorways as it has the 19.83mph/1000rpm 5th gear - so 80mph is just over 4000rpm....this can be changed to the longer gear of the std STI which brings the revs down but added cost unless its been done already. Check the applied model code to be sure of what the car is...

It may need mapping to UK fuel, there were 2000 ltd edition Version 6 RA. It has the stupid blue dash background and centre console. Check the gearbox code to make sure it has the plated front diff as this was only an option not standard.

If the car is your everyday motor then you'd have to be dedicated to the cause. It will be a really different driving experience to your STI that you can be sure of.
Old 29 September 2009, 07:52 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Helical front diff is standard equipment on the version 4/5/6 sti ra limited....also has the 2.25 sti quick rack...
Old 29 September 2009, 08:15 PM
scooby0809
Scooby Regular

not that bad to live with every day,depends if you are used to driving around in a jag lol it might be a bit of a shock,only in a good way tho!as above the later ones have longer legs and not that bad
Old 29 September 2009, 08:50 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

I have the V5 RA, just the same car really, but without the blue trim inserts, also the V6 had 2000 made as mentioned, V5 only 1000, but same gear ratio's. The difference between 4th and 5th is quite big as 1-4 are very close, short gears but 5th is so much longer. I have no problem driving distances in it, its quite an extreme ride quality due to the type of car it is, but deffo every day usable.
Old 30 September 2009, 09:33 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandyRS16i
I have the V5 RA, just the same car really, but without the blue trim inserts, also the V6 had 2000 made as mentioned, V5 only 1000, but same gear ratio's. The difference between 4th and 5th is quite big as 1-4 are very close, short gears but 5th is so much longer. I have no problem driving distances in it, its quite an extreme ride quality due to the type of car it is, but deffo every day usable.
That jump in the gearing is because you have a V-Ltd, not all RAs are like this.
Old 30 September 2009, 09:48 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Mine was a V6 RA WRC edition. I didn't like it very much. Can't put my finger on why but I actually prefered my UK car.
Old 30 September 2009, 11:26 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Mine was a V6 RA WRC edition. I didn't like it very much. Can't put my finger on why but I actually prefered my UK car.
Really? I thought the total opposite, Going from my UK (which i loved) to the RA was a dream, put it like this I had a RA and a UK at the same time and the UK never moved from my front door for six months after i bought the RA
Old 30 September 2009, 04:00 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Really? I thought the total opposite, Going from my UK (which i loved) to the RA was a dream, put it like this I had a RA and a UK at the same time and the UK never moved from my front door for six months after i bought the RA
Honestly can't explain it. The RA was such a quick car compared to the UK car but I lost interest in the RA almost immediately.

If I get another classic, it will be another UK car. Thing is I want something that we as a family can use to take trips in and the RA was too much for long trips - but then thats not what they are for I guess.

Last edited by EddScott; 30 September 2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 30 September 2009, 07:42 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pavlo
That jump in the gearing is because you have a V-Ltd, not all RAs are like this.
No, I actually have a WRC Well done to the OP if he has tracked down a sonic blue non-WRC V6 RA tho, very very rare
Old 30 September 2009, 07:55 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavlo
I explaned what is going on with the 5th gear ratio options in the link i posted above, the taller 5th (same ratio as in the normal STI none TypeR/RA gearbox) was a factory option on the STi5/6 RA Ltd, some have it, some dont. The V-Limited is a different model of car to the RA Ltd (proper name Subaru Impreza WRX STi V (or VI) Type RA 555 WRC Limited)