Sponsored by:

noises

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2009, 10:55 PM
Andy2004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noises

now im new to the impreza game (2 weeks in)...and i have to ask some of you more experienced and long term owners about some of the engine noises please...

1) when coming off accelerator around 2.5k rpm it whines?

2) at very high speed on the track it made a very very loud noise? thought it might be air intake on the bonnet? constant loud almost buzz noise? like resistance?

3) whistle noise throughout rev range (not turbo as can hear that more like hissing noise)

any help will be appreciated...also, i had some mintex pads fitted and ebc grooved discs...left front is making a sort of clicking/ticking noise under braking? when pressing brake hard from say 70-0mph it kinda brakes harder on other front wheel ??
Old 27 September 2009, 11:00 PM
shawy1976
Scooby Regular

Sounds like gearbox problems to me.
Old 27 September 2009, 11:01 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy2004
now im new to the impreza game (2 weeks in)...and i have to ask some of you more experienced and long term owners about some of the engine noises please...

2) at very high speed on the track it made a very very loud noise? thought it might be air intake on the bonnet? constant loud almost buzz noise? like resistance?

3) whistle noise throughout rev range (not turbo as can hear that more like hissing noise)

any help will be appreciated...also, i had some mintex pads fitted and ebc grooved discs...left front is making a sort of clicking/ticking noise under braking? when pressing brake hard from say 70-0mph it kinda brakes harder on other front wheel ??
the brake problem is probably a sticky/ceased piston in caliper which are normally unceaseable.
Old 28 September 2009, 09:00 AM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

Is the whistle definately not a whine?
As i think they all whine, through the transmission when accelerating even gently. (well i hope they do, because mine does!)
Old 28 September 2009, 09:42 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoobie
Is the whistle definately not a whine?
As i think they all whine, through the transmission when accelerating even gently. (well i hope they do, because mine does!)
Mine whines a little when accelerating, and when backing off.
Old 28 September 2009, 10:30 AM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

the clicking from your breaks is prob the fact you have grooved discs. mine do it, my mates do it, its just the pad going over the grooves!

as for the other bits... does sound like gearbox.
Old 28 September 2009, 07:57 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

I think the whining is the transmission with it having four wheel drive mine does it aswell. I used to have a land rover 110 and it hand a whine from the transmission aswell.
Old 28 September 2009, 10:27 PM
Andy2004
Scooby Regular

yeah its definatly the transmission making the noise (accelerating and decelerating), had a slight judder pulling off tonight...is this normal too? clutch seems ok as pulls off in second etc ????

the brakes are weird...only noise is front left ticking, and doesnt seem as strong on braking...bit weak even when pressed hard ... think i will get G goode to check when i finally get 1155s fitted.
Old 29 September 2009, 01:08 PM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

yeah its definatly the transmission making the noise (accelerating and decelerating), had a slight judder pulling off tonight...is this normal too? clutch seems ok as pulls off in second etc ????

the brakes are weird...only noise is front left ticking, and doesnt seem as strong on braking...bit weak even when pressed hard ... think i will get G goode to check when i finally get 1155s fitted.

if it helps mate my calipers seized last week and the symptoms are the same as u. the clicking could be the discs deglazing the pads and isnt to worry about, but i suggest u get ur calipers sorted ASAP u dont want a brake fire like i did.

as for the whine mine kinda does it mainly at hight reves and my turbo whistles under heavy acceleration. i think the whine is the centre diff tbh. most of them seem to do it.

Hope i helped
Old 30 September 2009, 09:53 PM
Andy2004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by motorola222
if it helps mate my calipers seized last week and the symptoms are the same as u. the clicking could be the discs deglazing the pads and isnt to worry about, but i suggest u get ur calipers sorted ASAP u dont want a brake fire like i did.

as for the whine mine kinda does it mainly at hight reves and my turbo whistles under heavy acceleration. i think the whine is the centre diff tbh. most of them seem to do it.

Hope i helped
cheers mate, yeah noises seem normal i think, however have got slight judder when pulling away in first...anyway what age subaru you got and how much you pay for a caliper??

wheres best place to source a caliper from?
Old 30 September 2009, 10:03 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Judder is common, search for it and you will see for yourself. It needs a full bore start with loadsa clutch to clean the surface, shouldnt judder for a bit then. (that is the advice given here before, just re-iterating it)
Old 30 September 2009, 10:13 PM
JonnyA
Scooby Regular

The noise in your point 2 may be the door seals - at about 110+ they let some air though and you get a loud 'whooo' noise, it comes in quite suddenly.
Old 30 September 2009, 10:15 PM
Andy2004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
Judder is common, search for it and you will see for yourself. It needs a full bore start with loadsa clutch to clean the surface, shouldnt judder for a bit then. (that is the advice given here before, just re-iterating it)
when you say full bore i take it you mean 5k plus revs, but whats loads a clutch mean? lol i'm being a bit thick tonight i guess
Old 30 September 2009, 10:18 PM
Andy2004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonnyA
The noise in your point 2 may be the door seals - at about 110+ they let some air though and you get a loud 'whooo' noise, it comes in quite suddenly.
ahhh, thats what i thought...when i going down the straight at curborough i hit 125mph and it scared the **** out of me lol...thought it sounded like wind resistance, i thought maybe the intake was doing it but doors would make sense too
Old 30 September 2009, 11:43 PM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, yeah noises seem normal i think, however have got slight judder when pulling away in first...anyway what age subaru you got and how much you pay for a caliper??

wheres best place to source a caliper from?
Ian at Godspeed brakes is great got my shiny ones today ur never know they were returns mine is a my2000 mate
Old 20 October 2009, 11:28 PM
Andy2004
Scooby Regular

Anyone with transmission whine, get yourself some Castrol driveline oil in your gearbox !!! Wow...way less noise!! Had my car fully serviced at roger clark motorsport today and what a difference to the car! Gearbox, accelerating, braking...all much better for it...tops guys there too!