Sponsored by:

What Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2009, 08:59 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Exhaust?

Hope i have posted this in the wright place. I am looking at getting a new exhaust system for my 2006 Sti Spec D at present it still has the standard one but the back box it looking a bit rough. I am looking at going for a full system is it best to go for a sports cat or de-cat system? I have been told Milltek are good, also Roger Clark Motorsport do thier own system which i have seen on their web site. I will be plannig in the next 8 months to have/do more work on the engine but needs the funds first. Is there anything i need to be aware of when buying one with future modsin mind?

Thanks
Old 27 September 2009, 10:05 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, firstly what are the other mods planned? if your thinking bigger turbo and injectors and looking for massive power then stop considering the sports cat.
I would recommend that you look at the Hayward & Scott group buy on here they make really quality exhausts and at a good price
Regarding the back box, Seeing that your (our) cars are Spec D (discreet) I would try and keep the noise level down a bit and the size of the tail so a second hand Prodrive box ticks all the boxes
I would leave the resonated section in as this stops a lot of the droning down the motorways and the booming noise if you know what I mean,plus no performance gains. If you really want to change it so your completely stainless steel H&S can do you one with a sports silencer.
I have a de cat H&S and a K&N panel filter a long with a remap and my car achieved 340 BHP and 350 torque, and there was more to be had but I wanted to be on the safe side so stopped there. You don't have to go mad to get the best from these cars
Let my know either way what you go for
Cheers Gonzo.!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 September 2009, 02:08 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

Hi Gonzo, i am not 100% sure what way to go with the mods i am considering two options, one is just have a full exhaust, panel filter and remap and leave it at that and then look at getting a classic Sti to use for trackdays. Or the other option would be to spend the all the money on the Spec D and go down the 400bhp+ route. The car is not used as a commuter as i have a works van so dont plan on doing many miles in it. With the car i want to keep the car discreet and want it to sound how a scooby should but not over the top but still to have a nice note. I have spoken to a chap a JAE, who advised me not to go for the nurspec or HKS because of how loud these are.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 27 September 2009, 07:09 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I have a full 3" Milltek de cat system. Its slightly louder then the Prodrive system previously fitted. Subtle at tickover and nice burble further up the rev range.
Old 27 September 2009, 07:49 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
I have a full 3" Milltek de cat system. Its slightly louder then the Prodrive system previously fitted. Subtle at tickover and nice burble further up the rev range.
with getting a decat system would i need to have a remap when the exhaust is fitted? The only reason i ask is that i have been told the car wont run wright because it still thinks it has the cat fitted. I do not know if this is wright or not?

Thanks
Old 27 September 2009, 07:54 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

If you have to drive it don't drive it hard and stay of boost. I drove mine about 50 miles to get my re map with no problems no light came on or anything didn't feel any different to tell the truth.
Old 27 September 2009, 08:27 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

I was looking at getting new system in the next couple of weeks but not having a remap till next year some time. Would it be better to just go cat back for now and them get the de-cat when i get the remap?
Old 27 September 2009, 08:40 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Yes mate, you don't want to risk damaging your engine. you probably wouldn't get much performance gains with out the remap anyway.
Old 27 September 2009, 08:40 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

I have a full mongoose system on my gb270 and with just a green panel filter i got 288/365.