Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notice increase from 280 to 340bhp?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2009, 07:05 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notice increase from 280 to 340bhp?

Looking to get my Impreza 2ltr STI 05 remapped and decatted soon, have had quotes of upto 340bhp, but am wondering if you would really notice the difference from what I have, which I guessing is around the 280mark, its fitted with a green panel filter and H&S 2nd cat back system all in 2 1/2" pipe.

Im in Essex and are also looking for a good company to do the remapping and to spend my money well on the car. Mocom are nearest to me, but liking the look of GRD too, they are just an extra hour away tho.

Any ideas on parts and companies all welcome, thanks

Daz.

Last edited by DarrenSTI; 24 September 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:10 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

the difference is like night and day!!!!!!!
Old 24 September 2009, 07:19 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Of course you'll notice the difference, it's a little hard not to notice a 60bhp / 20% power increase.

Zak at Mocom mapped my car too.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:21 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bunsofsteeeel
LOL, thats all I was waiting for was an answer like that, all helps my way of thinking .

Heard today that Hgh Flow Cats will need some sort of special marking/stamp on them to be total road legal, regardless if they pass the emissions test or not, odd aye!. So as long as I can find a friendly MOT station I'll go with a full decat.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:28 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You won't believe it !

It will last about eighteen months, and then you'll be back asking if 400 bhp is enough ?

LOL

dunx

P.S. It isn't !
Old 24 September 2009, 07:39 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by dunx
You won't believe it !

It will last about eighteen months, and then you'll be back asking if 400 bhp is enough ?

LOL

dunx

P.S. It isn't !

thats generous isn;t it?

took me about 6 months to want more,,,,, lol
Old 24 September 2009, 08:12 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

the first map i had was the best value for money mod that i had done,after that things get a lot more expensive.wish i have had stopped there but as dunx says you will wont more.
Old 24 September 2009, 08:23 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
LOL, thats all I was waiting for was an answer like that, all helps my way of thinking .

Heard today that Hgh Flow Cats will need some sort of special marking/stamp on them to be total road legal, regardless if they pass the emissions test or not, odd aye!. So as long as I can find a friendly MOT station I'll go with a full decat.
get it done its how the car should have come from the factory! it starts getting expensive modding after this stage though
Old 24 September 2009, 08:28 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in Essex and are also looking for a good company to do the remapping
Daz.
Jolly Green Monster can be where ever you want him to be. Awesome mapper made my wagon come alive ! 280-340 is a hell of a jump and don't forget the torque increase which is the best bit !
Old 24 September 2009, 08:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bunsofsteeeel
Yeah they said that about my classic from 215 to 262 .. I cant tell ..

Originally Posted by Mark1983
Of course you'll notice the difference, it's a little hard not to notice a 60bhp / 20% power increase.

Zak at Mocom mapped my car too.

I disagree

Originally Posted by bigarf
the first map i had was the best value for money mod that i had done,after that things get a lot more expensive.wish i have had stopped there but as dunx says you will wont more.
only for the fact that the car is now mapped correctly .. I haven't gained anything else from it .. and it was done by the best !
Old 24 September 2009, 08:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Perhaps your "bum dyno" is faulty ?

LOL

dunx

P.S. Mine felt like being fired from a cannon when it was re-mapped the first time, I was astounded. Now at 400-ish I still am, for an engine on std. internals....
Old 24 September 2009, 08:42 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

I disagree

only for the fact that the car is now mapped correctly .. I haven't gained anything else from it .. and it was done by the best !
Well, you must be doing something wrong. I recently went from 305-335bhp, 10% increase, and it's way better!
Old 24 September 2009, 08:49 PM
DaveDigiserv
Scooby Newbie

I just had my first remap yesterday on my 56 wrx wagon by Jolly Green Monster. I have a massive smile on my face now.

I have already asked him how I can get more out of it and I have only had it a day!!!!
Old 24 September 2009, 08:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my STi05 PPP tek3'd by Bob Rawle recently. PPP is suppose to be 305bhp but it's more like 290. Anyway now its 330bhp 320lb/ft so the difference isn't massive, but it's definitely noticeable. Car feels alot quicker due to the extra torque and 6th is a proper acceleration gear, rather than a 'flat' cruising gear. Best way to describe it is 6th feels like 5th, 4th like 3rd etc.
Old 24 September 2009, 10:04 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

My car was also mapped at MOCOM

The difference is unreal when your out mapping you can feel it getting faster and faster,

One of the Best spend ££s i have spent on my car

The Difference is Truely Unreal

Darc
Old 25 September 2009, 09:15 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

I disagree

Well, you must be doing something wrong. I recently went from 305-335bhp, 10% increase, and it's way better!

Something defo wrong there not to notice near 50hp. Especially dissapointing as it must have cost you.
I cheated on MY97UK, slapped on a Prodrive back box, centre decat, silicone Y pipe and a Prodrive ECU, total cost £360. Estimate gained around 20 horses but boy can I tell the difference.

Mind you some cars are different. I caused consternation once by stating that I couldn't find any difference between 95RON and Tesco99, economy wise or performance wise. (I can now by the way, but the car is no longer standard )

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 25 September 2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 25 September 2009, 10:36 AM
stevesscooby
Scooby Regular

hi all,
i have an 02 wrx wagon thats running 260bhp, does it cost the earth to get up around 310bhp and are you talking major mods or can you get them figures from remapping, the car has a prodrive backbox but unsure of what else has been done to achieve the 260bhp (i believe 215 is standard on uk car?)

steve
Old 25 September 2009, 10:45 AM
HappyFrog
Scooby Regular

Wow, no kidding?

Mine went from 220/207 to 267/262 and it was a completely different car. I had it remapped in Holland and the drive home to Denmark must have been the funniest trip I have ever had.

I had measured 0-60 and 0-120 several times both before and after with a g-tech pro and the best results before was 6.3s/29s and after 5.2s/21s, which to me is a noticeable improvement
Especially fourth and fifth pulled like I would never have believed was possible.
Old 25 September 2009, 11:14 AM
JonnyA
Scooby Regular

I just had my first remap yesterday on my 56 wrx wagon by Jolly Green Monster. I have a massive smile on my face now.
I was considering getting a JGM remap on my V5 STi, but am more interested iimproving the mpg than the power (but a bit more wouldn't hurt) - anyone had any experience of this?
Old 25 September 2009, 11:41 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

i had my classic uk turbo remapped by andy forrest, car had full decat and filter only, made a huge difference, car was so much quicker, i was a very happy man! best mod u can do to an impreza imo.
Old 25 September 2009, 12:40 PM
YXD
Scooby Regular

What someone needs to invent is a F1 style KERS button whereby every few miles we can give ourselves and extra 80hp for free

That way we may be happy with 270 plus the occasional boost to 350 when the mood strikes!
Old 25 September 2009, 12:41 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JonnyA
I was considering getting a JGM remap on my V5 STi, but am more interested iimproving the mpg than the power (but a bit more wouldn't hurt) - anyone had any experience of this?
You will get more performance from the correct amount of fuel, but I can't get better fuel consumption, worse is easy ( on track 6 mpg is possible now ! 400 bhp approx. )

LOL

dunx
Old 25 September 2009, 12:49 PM
spikester
Scooby Regular

To Stevesscooby.

The best way to get the more power from your car is to source a VF35 from a STI, plus Pink injectors from an STI. Also I would highly recommend you change the fuel pup to a walbro. I would also recommend if you are replacing the turbo, to change the uppipe, which has a CAT in it, and the downpipe, which again has a CAT in it, I went for a sports cats as can't be a@@@@d changing it everytime you need an MOT. Once you have all of these parts, you will need an ECUTEK remap, do not fit all the parts and drive the car without a remap, or your engine won't last long. This setup should see you good for around 300-320BHP, after that it small gains for large money. You need to budget somewhere around £2000.00 for parts, fitting and remap, unless you fit the parts yourself.
Old 25 September 2009, 12:58 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

its the one year anniversary today of me going from 260 to 340ish BHP. Like everyone says - you'll want more, I know I do!

But from here is where it gets expensive, especially with a wrx like mine, simply adding a td05-20g/ induction and a remap would see me somewhere in the 370 - 380 region, but then I'll need a front mount and a 3" exhaust and another remap to get to 400, then I'll need a new clutch and probably a gearbox too, and then when that little lot is sorted I'll need a new engine

best get saving then .........
Old 25 September 2009, 01:30 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Looking to get my Impreza 2ltr STI 05 remapped and decatted soon, have had quotes of upto 340bhp, but am wondering if you would really notice the difference from what I have, which I guessing is around the 280mark, its fitted with a green panel filter and H&S 2nd cat back system all in 2 1/2" pipe.

Im in Essex and are also looking for a good company to do the remapping and to spend my money well on the car. Mocom are nearest to me, but liking the look of GRD too, they are just an extra hour away tho.

Any ideas on parts and companies all welcome, thanks

Daz.
oh yeah, big improvement

Zak at Mocom mapped mine a couple of years ago now and it's been spot on from day one, a very helpfull guy and a company i'd thoroughly recommend.

personally i'd look out for a Prodrive sports cat and also get a 2nd cat de-cat pipe, i can't be arsed with being illegal with emissions now and at the level of tune you're looking at the difference is very minimal (if any)

as i've put in profile, the map really brought the car to life. i couldn't recommend it enough!
the smoothness of the car is instantly noticable, then you'll notice the extra torque and where it comes in and how it works so well with the 6 speed box, it just picks up so much quicker.
the way it pulls hard to the top of the rev range is great aswell, i thought the std. sti ran out of puff at about 6k, but now it just pulls as far as i want to take it

i'd struggle to find a negative to be honest. about the worst thing i can think of is the need to block shift up if you're pootling around, otherwise the cars off and running and eager to get flying!!

remap, lowering springs and a geometry setup and you'll be driving home in a totally different car

Just found some pre and post map info, the data on the in gear acceleration is a better indication of real world driving and responses. 0-60 qoutes are great, but who drives around like that all day?

the figures are at the wheels, Zak uses a percentage of +14% (IIRC) to give flywheel figures. some work to a higher %, but at least i know this is the least my car puts out.

Dyno Test: Premap
==================

Maximum Wheel Power: 236.9 BHP @ 6148 RPM
Maximum Wheel Torque: 237.9 LbFt @ 3897 RPM
Power to weight ratio: 148.1 BHP per ton

Terminal velocity due to power: 169.4 mph

In Gear Acceleration:
40 - 60mph = 3.1 seconds
50 - 70mph = 3.0 seconds
60 - 80mph = 3.2 seconds
70 - 90mph = 3.5 seconds
80 -100mph = 4.4 seconds

Dyno Test: Postmap
==================

Maximum Wheel Power: 269.5 BHP @ 5718 RPM
Maximum Wheel Torque: 277.4 LbFt @ 4512 RPM
Power to weight ratio: 168.4 BHP per ton

Terminal velocity due to power: 176.8 mph

In Gear Acceleration:
40 - 60mph = 2.9 seconds
50 - 70mph = 2.6 seconds
60 - 80mph = 2.7 seconds
70 - 90mph = 3.0 seconds
80 -100mph = 3.6 seconds

Last edited by hoskib; 25 September 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 25 September 2009, 01:57 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darren you know my thoughts towards Zak @ Mocom, i've now been going there for 4 years and the car's never been better. Similiar spec to what your planning but with colder plugs, ported headers, 3" Hayward & Scott full decat and APS CAI and i'm sitting at 286 Bhp @ the wheels. But it's the way the car drives compared to standard, way way more low down torque and it just pulls all the way to the redline.
Old 25 September 2009, 03:02 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Mocom Racing will be taking care of our car for next season and we wouldn't leave it with just anybody

As for the difference between 280 and 340bhp :eek1:
Old 25 September 2009, 06:33 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF am I doing wrong then ... The car was 215 .. he did a bhp check before and got 228 I think .. then after 262 .. about .. and I seriously cant see any difference.

I'm not questioning Simon .. he can only work with what he has .. something a miss with my car ?
Old 25 September 2009, 06:40 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

[quote=hoskib;8961899]oh yeah, big improvement

Zak at Mocom mapped mine a couple of years ago now and it's been spot on from day one, a very helpfull guy and a company i'd thoroughly recommend.

personally i'd look out for a Prodrive sports cat and also get a 2nd cat de-cat pipe, i can't be arsed with being illegal with emissions now and at the level of tune you're looking at the difference is very minimal (if any)

It already has the 2nd CAT pipe fitted, the only CAT left on is the one in the down pipe. Im just not sure whether to fully decat it or try to get a late model Prodrive CAT, I know there are 2 versions about, and the later one being the better one, dont see them that offen.

I'll give Zak a call, and see what he thinks. Can remapping be done in a day or is a bit more involved?
Old 25 September 2009, 07:07 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

WTF am I doing wrong then ... The car was 215 .. he did a bhp check before and got 228 I think .. then after 262 .. about .. and I seriously cant see any difference.

I'm not questioning Simon .. he can only work with what he has .. something a miss with my car ?
it could depend on how it comes on boost and how much torque has increased because thats the feeling of a power increase esp on the road.

Quick Reply: Notice increase from 280 to 340bhp?