Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2009, 09:03 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member

Hello to all, new to the site and new to subarus, i'm yet to pick the car up but should be this Saturday.

It's a 95 Turbo wagon in red, which has done 111,000 miles, tax February 2010 and MOT till July 2010, cambelt was last changed at 88,000 miles and has just had new clutch and flywheel.

I have a few questions, do the tyres need to have the same amount of tread?, i have been a calibra owner and i know the turbo version had to have tyres of the same depth of tread due to knackering the transfer box if this wasn't maintained.

The other beeing what are the main things i need to look out for ie: common rust spots, noises, electrical problems.
Old 23 September 2009, 09:49 PM
bugeyelol
Scooby Newbie

Hi and welcome. new on here too not had my scoob long but luv it i'm sure your gonna have fun in yours too.
Old 23 September 2009, 10:32 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

yeah you want all 4 tyres to be as close as possible. Couple of mm difference should be ok but you don't want 2mm on fronts and 7mm on rears for example.
Old 23 September 2009, 10:35 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

welcome to scoobynet and nice choice with the colour
Old 23 September 2009, 10:49 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

welcome.. common rust spots on the classics are rear arches. cheack the sill where it meets the rear arch also for rust as water gets behind the skirt and it rots out. roof as well is aparently common near front and rear windows.

hope you enjoy it, there great fun!
Old 24 September 2009, 10:05 AM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the welcome, now about to try and upload some pics in the gallery section.
Old 27 September 2009, 05:29 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Picked the car up yesterday and i never driven a car that felt so planted, the journey back was just over 100 miles and never enjoyed a drive that much before.

The kick back in the seat when the boost kicks in is very addictive, managed to get through £30 of petrol in just under 200 miles, not sure if this is good or bad.

Few things that need doing, rust coming through above the windscreen and a few scratches here and there. A bit of trim that runs along the roof and down the windscreen, and just a general tidy up of the interior.

Previous owner has installed some 6x9's at the bottom of the doors which will be removed as it looks a bit of a bodge job.
Old 27 September 2009, 05:36 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Welcome, glad you're enjoying the car - and you'd better get used to £30 lasting 200 miles its all about smiles per gallon though. Mine gets about 300 miles to a full tank (pretty much standard 97 sti import)

On the speakers side, I found the standard speakers weren't up to much so I replaced them (probably why someone installed 6x9's). I found that 5.25" components would fit well inside the front door cards with minor modifications (spacer behind speaker to make it sit right) and the tweeters fit inside the door cards in front of the door handles nicely too.

Hope that helps a bit
Old 27 September 2009, 05:44 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

200 miles for £30 ain't bad! I used to get £220 miles for £54! (before I switched to LPG - now I get that for around £35). That's all short journeys/B-road driving though.
Old 27 September 2009, 05:44 PM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

Great choice of car / colour

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours
Old 27 September 2009, 06:08 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby546
Welcome, glad you're enjoying the car - and you'd better get used to £30 lasting 200 miles its all about smiles per gallon though. Mine gets about 300 miles to a full tank (pretty much standard 97 sti import)

On the speakers side, I found the standard speakers weren't up to much so I replaced them (probably why someone installed 6x9's). I found that 5.25" components would fit well inside the front door cards with minor modifications (spacer behind speaker to make it sit right) and the tweeters fit inside the door cards in front of the door handles nicely too.

Hope that helps a bit
Cheers for the advice, i think i will try and get replacement bottoms of the doorcards, or are they one peice? as he has cut large holes in the cards to fit the 6x9's in, the 6x9's only just let the door close as they catch on the panel at the bottom of the door.

I probably looked like a cheshire cat when driving it home, big grin from ear to ear.

My last car was a Vauxhall Calibra with 170bhp and i thought that was fairly nippy, but this is another league especialy on the handling. There is a road in the next village from me which they built to test lotus's on 20yrs or so back, which has lots of ups and downs and differing degrees of corners and it felt absolutely planted through all of them.

Need to sit down and have a look through the hanbook to find out about the car as i have no idea about subarus. i have a while to work everything out as i won't be using the car until november as that is when my current insurance runs out and i don't pay anything for the last 2 months, if i changed it to the wagon i would.

Is there a haynes manual for the Wagon?

Last edited by 95turbowagon; 27 September 2009 at 06:09 PM.