Sponsored by:

How do you buy your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2009, 10:34 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you buy your cars?

I'm thinking of buying another car but its in Birmingham and I'm in Newcastle.

Whats the easiest/most sensible way of doing it.

The car costs £6000 and I'll be travelling at the weekend so banks are out of the question therefore I'll need to take the cash with me.

A. Get a mate to drive me down taking hours.
B. Fly down but then I'm on foot at Birmingham airport with £6g in my pocket.

The seller is wary of meeting me at the airport as its a 45min drive for him and still no guarantee I'll buy it but even if he did tell me he'll meet me, whats to say he will? Then I'm hiring a car to drive home.

I've done the road trip thing a few times and I dont fancy doing it again. Took a mate to Cornwall for an Audi RS4 once, thats why I'd rather fly.

Hes anyone ever done it?
Old 11 September 2009, 10:47 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

Get a mate to take you down with the 6K in your pocket.

Have £5,500 in one pocket and £ 500 in the other.

Pull out the 5.5 and tell him that's all you have, take it or leave it.

If the car is really nice and he wont budge, start patting your pockets, pull out the other wedge whilst having an expression of total shock and say "core, that was a bit of luck, I never knew that was in there"
Old 11 September 2009, 11:00 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Hes sent me around 20 pics of the car and pics of the history/receipts etc.

I've HPi'd it and its ok. He's also revealled him bottom price as I'm so far away
Old 11 September 2009, 11:03 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkullFudge
Get a mate to take you down with the 6K in your pocket.

Have £5,500 in one pocket and £ 500 in the other.

Pull out the 5.5 and tell him that's all you have, take it or leave it.

If the car is really nice and he wont budge, start patting your pockets, pull out the other wedge whilst having an expression of total shock and say "core, that was a bit of luck, I never knew that was in there"
good plan

And if you have mates that are also into cars they will not mind going to look at a nice motor. I know I don't when I take someone (if they are free). Failing that I bribe my local mechanic to go down with me to look at a car. I have to pay a little for his time, but then again he knows I will use him to service the car if he helps me buy one Of course you also get the added benefit of someone knowing what they are on about having a look at the car you are about to buy with my plan
Old 12 September 2009, 08:45 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I once sold a car from birmingham to a person who flew down from scotland. I did meet him at the airport he drove me back home we sorted out the deal then he drove home. He also stated that this was a common way for him to buy as car choice where he came from was limited. I sent him loads of close up pictures of the car so the deal was done before he booked the flight.
Old 12 September 2009, 10:55 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

£85 return from Newcastle to Birmingham tomorrow taking 3hrs 47mins direct line. If hes wary of picking you up he must think its crap in his eyes and probably wont sell or hes trying to put you off for the time being as something needs fixing, had it happen to me before.

http://www.thetrainline.com
Old 12 September 2009, 04:33 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

I normally part ex my cars in and deal in some sort of way as such that one way or another im driving home.

I once travelled from swansea to bury st edmonds for an astra sri 2.2 it took 11 hours driving there and back after getting lost in birmingham and ending up by villa park. with Man flu.

A friend of mine always uses the train and takes a small selection of tools in case needed and food to enjoy on route. This way he can drive back and is prepared for any mishaps

speak to a recovery firm who could transport the car for you if the price was right.
You could do a bank transfer at his home once the paper work is finaly sorted and both parties are sorted that way.
Old 12 September 2009, 06:57 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I've driven from John o'groats to Blackburn to look at a car.

Then drove back down to trade my car in for it a week later after they'd done the work I asked them to do on it.

Would travel that distance again if the right car came up. But then I love driving.
Old 12 September 2009, 07:05 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

It's only a three hour drive. Drive down with a mate.
Old 12 September 2009, 08:11 PM
JonnyA
Scooby Regular

I did an 8 hour train journey from the south coast to Liverpool to look at my car. I took the cash in my pocket (especially nerve-racking on the local service past Bolton!) but was absolutely ready to walk away and get the train back if it wasn't right.

The way the guy talks will tell you lots. If he spends the whole time telling you how fast the car is, think hard. We all know these cars are fast, there are more important things to worry about when you come to buy one.

Good luck - if it's the exact car you want then it's surely worth the journey but remember to walk away if it doesn't feel right.
Old 13 September 2009, 12:10 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

I flew down from Glasgow to London then took a train to Birmingham to buy my first UK turbo 2000 wagon - took cash with me, had spoken to the seller beforehand a couple of times and decided that it was work the theoretical risk of having to find my way back via public transport. Car was as described, deal done, drove home

Second big (ish) journey was a trip down to Yorkshire to look at an STI V4. Took my Dad with me for company on the drive, which was handy as I ended up buying the car there and then and he drove my existing car back

The key is to know as much about the car (and the seller) as you can before you travel, and be prepared to walk away if it doesn't look right. I don't mind spending £200 on petrol (and snacks) on a road trip to see a potential car, as long as there is a decent chance that it will be a worthwhile trip.
Old 13 September 2009, 12:45 PM
wacko_jacko
Scooby Regular

i got a car my scooby from newcastle and im near brighton. I flew up and the seller picked me up from the airport and worked out fine.
Old 13 September 2009, 02:00 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

just drive down with a mate that way if there is anything dodge at least theres someone you know - 6k in your pocket and you want a stranger to pick you up whilst you wait for them ? i drove upto halifax in that snow in january for mine from brum where abouts is he down here ?
Old 13 September 2009, 09:17 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clark822
just drive down with a mate that way if there is anything dodge at least theres someone you know - 6k in your pocket and you want a stranger to pick you up whilst you wait for them ?
Thats the bit I was wary of. What if he/someone picked me up in a different car saying ''oh, he couldnt make it but I've been told to pick you up'' Then I'm miles from home, in a car with someone I dont know going god knows where with 6k in my hip.
What if the car was in the countryside and I decided not to buy? Then what?
What if theres a group and they get angry?

If I can get a lift next week and the cars still for sale, I'll do that. Or I'll fly to Birmingham with a mate, hire a car at the airport and take it from there.
Old 15 September 2009, 12:07 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Triple filtered
Thats the bit I was wary of. What if he/someone picked me up in a different car saying ''oh, he couldnt make it but I've been told to pick you up'' Then I'm miles from home, in a car with someone I dont know going god knows where with 6k in my hip.
What if the car was in the countryside and I decided not to buy? Then what?
What if theres a group and they get angry?

If I can get a lift next week and the cars still for sale, I'll do that. Or I'll fly to Birmingham with a mate, hire a car at the airport and take it from there.
What if, What if...