ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Do's and Don'ts for Wetter the Better?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2001, 11:24 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've finally got round to booking a place on WTB, and would appreciate any views from recent participants on do's and don'ts to get the most out of the session.

And how is the new format actually run - how many cars, how much individual coaching, etc?

Thanks, Pete
Old 16 February 2001, 11:50 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Format:
2 instructors and 2 customers at a time, all one on one tuition, switch instructors at half way point (50(ish) mins) 2 separate areas: the roundabout thing, and the wet track. Time spent on each with each instructor.
So sort of: 25 mins with instructor 1 on roundabout, followed by 25 mins on track with instructor 1, change of instructor, 25 mins on roundabout with instructor 2 followed by 25 mins on track with instructor 2.
You are kept separate from the other customer throughout the course, you just get to speak to them before you go out, and after you get back.

General advice:
Tyres in reasonable nick, but not new (if you plan on visiting the outer edges of the circle, as the cheese grater things are a bit hard on the rubber) preferably with some sort of tread around the outside edges, otherwise grip is somewhat comprimised (that was my excuse anyway )
Try not to have any loose trim on your car, one of my rear skirts is currently living in the boot, oops.
Just enjoy the day, it is very relaxed, and they know that everybody makes mistakes.
Old 17 February 2001, 10:56 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Robertio:
<B>Format:
2 instructors and 2 customers at a time, 25 mins with instructor 1 on roundabout, followed by 25 mins on track with instructor 1, change of instructor, 25 mins on roundabout with instructor 2 followed by 25 mins on track with instructor 2.
[/quote]

In my case it was 2 instructors and 6-7 customers. Approx. 10 minutes on the roundabout followed by a fairly long wait. Max 3-4 laps on the track followed by more waiting In general one instructor is always on the track, which leaves the other instructor for the remaining 5-6 people -- so I found I was by myself a lot of the time...

Other "DOs": get a good insurance and watch out for the tyre walls and stones/sprinklers around the track (I cut a side wall of one of the tyres and dented a side skirt when I "went off").

Hope you'll have a better experience than I did.

Old 18 February 2001, 01:07 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Neil,

I don't know if I was the only one with such experience or if people are just reluctant to post.

I did mine about 6 months ago. If the format of the course has indeed changed since then - that's great, and I would be willing to give it a second chance.

However I still think the MIRA wet track doesn not inspire much confidence due to the lack of run-off space.

All of the above of course just IMHO.

Cheers,

SR

[This message has been edited by Subarussian (edited 18 February 2001).]
Old 18 February 2001, 08:13 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

I went with Robbie last Saturday and as he say's the format has changed and was run as described. If only I had loads of money, I could have stayed there all day! Good fun but 2hrs not enough (for me anyway).

Tim
Old 18 February 2001, 12:50 PM
Neil Reay
Scooby Regular

Smile

Subarussian

I think yours is the only negative posting I've seen about the wetter the better course.

I know the course has changed format recently too one to one tuition as Robertio describes, when did you do your course?
Old 18 February 2001, 03:56 PM
Neil Reay
Scooby Regular

Smile

The important thing is, do you feel you get value for money. £270 for a two hour course isn't a bad hourly rate!

It would be interesting to get a view from someone who has done the course before and after the format was changed.

I still hope to do the course myself in the next few weeks.

Neil.
Old 18 February 2001, 09:41 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil Reay:
<B>£270 for a two hour course isn't a bad hourly rate!
.[/quote]

Ai!
Old 18 February 2001, 09:51 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Talking

I did it last week and it is a great course and worth every penny .... Like Tim Bomford, I would do it again if I could afford to because the two hours goes by very quickly indeed.

I like the fact that you change instructors so you get to do both circles/track with both of them.

I agree with Subarussian about the lack of run off space ....

and the cheese graters separating the lanes on the circles does leave you slightly worrying about your tyres ... so make sure they don't matter too much but must have a minimum of 3mm tread on them.

But do the course and enjoy it .... Don will tell you to relax ....
Old 18 February 2001, 10:26 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

I know what you say about the hourly rates but I know Don will agree with me when I say I wish it all went in our pockets......

What you actually pay for is admission to a multi million pound vehicle testing facility and if you think that comes cheap, next time you pass Mira ask how much it is for the day. When you stand up again, all of a sudden you will realize how much value for money Don really gives you.

My ProDriver course is £299 for the day and four people per day equals £1200. Then subtract:-

1 MY99 Impreza Turbo and associated costs
1 BMW 3 Series
Fuel + Servicing for both
Minimum of 4 tyres
Brakes (Very costly)
2 Professional Instructors
Tarmac venue
Hotel and conference facilities
Lunch at the same hotel x 6
Computer equipment/data projectors
Insurance policies
Administration
Framed certificates of achievement
Bridge tolls
Plus loads more !!!!!!

Then don't forget that this excludes the fact that you may well leave me with a damaged car.....

If you then think I make mega bucks in profits, you are welcome to buy into the business! Don't forget that the nasty Inland Revenue also takes a 40% cut of the profits too.

Yes I agree that some of the basic stuff does not offer value for money but take it from me, when you employ experts such as DP or myself you get a damn good deal.

Regards to you all

Mike@PD

[This message has been edited by Mike@PD (edited 18 February 2001).]
Old 19 February 2001, 11:55 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for your comments. I'm booked for the 9 o'clock slot on Saturday, and am really looking forward to it. I wanted to find out how the car handles on the limit, and what to about it when it starts to go. I also didn't want to put the car under too much stress, so this course sounds ideal.
Old 19 February 2001, 03:21 PM
Liam
Scooby Regular

I agree that you could definately stay there all day but I'd have needed a few sets of tyres. If you are using SO2s' expect a fair amount of wear!

There is definately a lack of run off space on the wet track, so all I did was take out the insurance then go for it! I spun once on the track in 3rd entering the left before the long right hander onto the straight. I have to say though I didn't use the grass, just do what your told when your told and you'll be fine!
Old 19 February 2001, 06:21 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I did TWTB twice (the all-day version) and still got 22,500 miles out of my tyres. Personally, I don't think there's any noticeable tyre wear as you spend most of your time driving on wet & slippery surfaces. Without any grip, there isn't any wear.

I know what you mean about the run-offs on the circuit, but you should be ok if you listen to what you're told.

Do try as much wacky stuff on the circle, it's where all the mistakes should be made as there's nothing to hit.

I would go with an open mind and as few preconceptions as possible. Your car <I>can</I> be driven sideways all the way around the circle and you <I>are</I> capable of doing it.
Old 19 February 2001, 10:32 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree. TWTB rules! I haven't done it under the new format but it actually sounds like it might be better, as you get concentrated tuition with less hanging about. I never had problems with the run-off and I was a total beginner at this kind of stuff. I did the course in my Scooby but even in my brother's Celica, which was spinning everywhere , I managed to stay on or about on the track. I also didn't do my tyres much harm, even on two visits and much enthusiastic hooning around the magic roundabout.