WRX Buying Help

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2009, 05:15 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Buying Help

Hi all,
My name is Daz and i am from Wakefield (i am a middlesbrough lad, but i live down here now)
I am new to the forum, i am currently a very active member of the civic life members club. Currently owning a EK4 vti civic. My plan was to remove the 160bhp b16 engine out of the civic and drop in a b18 then turbo it to about 250bhp, then i would be attending 1/4 anf track days

I have recently been on a track day, were i drove a 911 turbo, but more importantly a wrx sti i believe it was about a 2006/7 vehicle. And i found it amazing............... So much so i am thinking (serisouly thinking) about selling my beloved Civic and getting a impreza.

I am looking to doing track days in the future, but most of my driving will be fast road, i will be using the impreza as a daily drive, were i do about 20miles round trip. My girlfriend currently has a mini cooper but a tdi TT on order so that will be getting used on longer trips.

Much like the other thread, i will have about 3k to 3.5k to spend.

I have been looking at the classic WRX, but if i am totally honest i dont know much about imprezas (i am researching as we speak). I am interested in all your throughts on the classic WRX, what to look out for when buying them, whats good, whats bad, what are peoples fuel consumptions. Would people buy one........or consider other vehicles? How does it compare to the sti (everyone keeps telling me to buy a sti). Is it correct the wrx is a 214bhp?

What about mods and upgrades, what it like for these?

I have drove a classic wrx wagon but a long time ago and it was a bried drive, i will be getting out and driving one soon.

I have asked the same question on the civic forum, and got a mixed response.......but that is expected

Any help, and all your thoughts would be greatly appricated.

I probably should mention, i am into tuning and upgrading parts etc etc

thanks

daz

Last edited by Dazza9t9; 08 September 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08 September 2009, 06:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Always look for three things.

Servicing. Servicing. Servicing.

No seriously. Is it WRX or a WRX STi your after? Is it Classic or Newage? UK or JDM? WRX are JDM, Turbo's are UK.

Your budget will only get you a Classic. Loads of advice will hit you soon.

But servicing, general condition and all the usual stuff applies, uneven tyre wear, blue smoke on start up, strange or unusal noises from the engine, worn brakes and bushes, chavved up or hugely modded stuff.

Take someone who knows Scoobs and will ask all the right questions.

Your age against potentially big insurance and MPG is also ****e!

Welcome aboard.
Old 08 September 2009, 09:28 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.
This has lots of useful info for you to rifle through.

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia
Old 08 September 2009, 10:17 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

thanks for info guys......... i have seen one i am interested in, its a 1995 wrx, it was imported in 2008, it has the import certificate with it, Had one owner, been converted to mile, and it is on 41000. hpi clear (or so the seller says, it would be checked) this is the spec
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 41,765 miles, Metallic Silver, MOT-08-2010, 1 Owner. ABS, Alloy wheels, Headlight washers, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Navigation system, Passenger airbag, Side airbags, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control, Audio remote control, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Front electric windows, Front head restraints, Isofix child seat anchor points, PAS, Remote central locking, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Cloth upholstery, Colour coding - Body, Power assisted steering, Trip computer, Spoiler, Locking wheel nuts, Tinted glass, Front fog lights, Height adjustable drivers seat, Rear electric windows, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Central locking, Alarm, Space saver spare wheel, Solid Paint. Insurance Group:8, BEST IVE SEEN,GOLD UPRATED ALLOYS,LOW MILES,ONLY IN UK 1 YEAR! JUST MOTD,LOADS TAX EXCELLENT ORDER THROUGHOUT YOU WONT BE DISAPOINTED! WELL CARED FOR CAR,

whats everyones thoughts.....without seeing the car, its 3k price
Old 09 September 2009, 07:28 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

If it was imported in 08, won't it be liable for high road tax ? 400+ ?

UK classic cars were group 17 from what I remember, so slightly better than later ones, unless you modify it.

MPG will be a shock from your civic, I got around 24mpg with a lightly modded UK '99 car using it daily.

As a Jap spec WRX it would be a bit more powerful than the UK equivalent (around 240?), there's no mention of modifications above; you might also want to look into how easy it is to map the ecu on a '95 car. '98 are more awkward than later years, I believe, '99 and onwards opens up Ecutek as an option, unless you change the ecu completely. '99 and onwards also had 298mm 4-pots as standard, with 16" wheels.

Do you have any info from pre-08 ? How many owners did it have before then ?
Old 09 September 2009, 09:02 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

95 cars cannot be remapped. New ECU's or piggy back chips V5/6 cars have an OBD and can be remapped.

The insurance Group will be 17 or above!

Has it been converted for use on UK Fuel?

Being imported it will need underseal, the service history will all be in Japanese, do you understand Jap?

Get a good check done on it.
Old 09 September 2009, 05:13 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

That is all I know on the car to date... it has been ran in the uk andi know it has been converted to mile. Other than that how does it sound? What other things should I look at,

How much does a full tank of petrol on a wrx and how many miles will you get to that.
My civic is 35-40 quid for a full tank and I get 200 miles tops
Old 09 September 2009, 05:14 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

That is all I know on the car to date... it has been ran in the uk andi know it has been converted to mile. Other than that how does it sound? What other things should I look at,

How much does a full tank of petrol on a wrx and how many miles will you get to that.
My civic is 35-40 quid for a full tank and I get 200 miles tops
Old 11 September 2009, 03:04 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

well i am going to see this wrx tomorrow (after a 12 hours night shift) so i maybe an offical impreza owner tomorrow
Old 14 September 2009, 03:30 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Well welcome me aboard i bought the silver import WRX,
Old 14 September 2009, 03:46 PM
crazed1981
Scooby Newbie

welcome and enjoy!
Old 14 September 2009, 04:55 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

OH dear...... Your in Wakey...... so another bit of advise , steer clear of a certain importer not THAT far from you OR take someone who knows scoobys with you when you go looking
Old 14 September 2009, 04:58 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Sorry Fastmike, i have no idea what your talking about. I am from wakey yes, however i have already bought a impreza but from out of west yorkshire, i got it from up north.

What importer are you talking about??
Old 14 September 2009, 05:57 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

welcome to Scooby ownership Dazza , sorry I didnt read the part where you had already bought one
Old 15 September 2009, 01:19 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys... I am sure I will ennjoy ownership and being a active member of the club