Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maintenance queries from a first timer..

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2009, 10:56 PM
JAckyWhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance queries from a first timer..

alright there.
I've got the loan sorted and am now just waiting for the right low mileage black or white standard or PPP WRX to come into view for my first intro into your world.

But, what I need to know is what kind of servicing needs to be done every 6k miles? Or indeed can it just wait until once a year? Do you REALLY have to change some liquids and components so regularly? Im only going to be doing 300 miles a week commuting. And why has some mentioned specific petrol? Is this a problem? Im intending to gas convert mine straight away anyway. All comments are greatly received.
many thanks..
J
Old 30 August 2009, 02:02 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

My cars a 96 Import classic Impreza and it has a re-built engine. Since this was done I change my oil every 3500miles (Mobil1 Motorsport fully syn15w/50, genuine Subaru oil filter & sump plug washer) change my air filter every year but this is good practice I think for any Turbo owner (but if it's a newer car maybe 6000miles or more would be fine/more often though if your only doing lot's of short trips). The petrol thing is mostly to do with Import's imparticularly the fact that Japanese fuel has a higher rated octane level and as such when the car's come over to Britain they are not mapped to run on British lower octane rated fuel's. Best way around this is to have a re-map or buy a UK car to begin with. Although I run my car (as do many other Import owner's) on Shell V-Power without any problem's or re-map. There are other fuels you could use and octane booster's too but that's up to you. Even if you get a UK car though you really should run it on the best fuel possible as it is a performance engine eg; Shell V-Power, BP 99 Bio fuel, Tesco Super 99 atleast. Hope that's abit of help eitherway...Welcome to Scoobynet BTW
Old 30 August 2009, 02:11 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If we're talking UK cars, and by WRX you mean 01 onwards (Bugeye through Blobeye to Hawkeye) then servicing is annually or 10k, whichever is sooner. Some opt to change the oil more regularly, but on a non or lightly modified car there's not much point. If you are a very capable and fast driver, pushing it to its limits on the road, and if you are intending to track regularly then more frequent servicing starts to make sense.

UK WRX's are supposed to be OK to run on normal unleaded, but once the PPP is added or you mod it yourself then Super should be used. These engines don't take kindly to DET. I have heard of people doing LPG conversions, but I don't know how successful they are. Let's face it, if you are chasing economy you shouldn't be considering a Scooby
Old 30 August 2009, 02:25 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
If we're talking UK cars, and by WRX you mean 01 onwards (Bugeye through Blobeye to Hawkeye) then servicing is annually or 10k, whichever is sooner. Some opt to change the oil more regularly, but on a non or lightly modified car there's not much point. If you are a very capable and fast driver, pushing it to its limits on the road, and if you are intending to track regularly then more frequent servicing starts to make sense.

UK WRX's are supposed to be OK to run on normal unleaded, but once the PPP is added or you mod it yourself then Super should be used. These engines don't take kindly to DET. I have heard of people doing LPG conversions, but I don't know how successful they are. Let's face it, if you are chasing economy you shouldn't be considering a Scooby
too true