Sponsored by:

3 points for holding phone

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2009, 10:16 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 points for holding phone

i was driving home from work yesterday, theres alittle bend near my house where the traffic lights are my phone sliiped out of the side compartment and droped near my pedals which you can imagine is dangerous so i grabbed the phone chucked it on the other seat while still having one hand on the steering wheel. an officer who was petroling sees me and asks me to pull up so idid when really i should of just drove off. anyway i get out the car he asks if the car was mine,do i have any I.D and if ive been in trouble with the law before and i said i have my license but never been in trouble with the law. he asked me for I.D so i gave my license he put my details through the system obviously all clear. he said do you know why i pulled you over i said no. so then he said you were using your phone i replied i moved my phone away from my near my foot as i didnt want it to go under my breaks. so then he said right under section act 164 of the law ect you are not a loud to touch your mobile phone while driving. so i got pissed and i said i wont pay it and told to him to go and get real criminals and i told him if i wasnt wearing a suite and if i was wearing a hoddy would he of still stoped me. he then replied right mate pick a police station of your choice you will need to go and produce there with in 7 days. and he asked me to sign in the bit where i said i wont pay for the fine so i said i refuse to sign there and i wasnt holding my phone.

so guys have i got a leg to stand on?
Old 13 August 2009, 10:27 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

No you "should" have stopped first....

Cr*p isn't it !

dunx
Old 13 August 2009, 10:34 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i shouldnt of but my road was only 30 meters from the incident. would i have a leg to stand on in court?
Old 13 August 2009, 10:36 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

its a tough one. if you can prove nothing was received or made from the phone at the time or around the time of the incident then you might be ok. but should imagine it wont be easy
Old 13 August 2009, 10:38 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

In a word, no.

Your word against Mr Policeman, sorry.

You didn't help yourself by telling him to go catch real criminals, not to mention if you were in a suit (not a 3 piece suite). Yeah we all think it from time to time, but you shoudl really have kept it buttoned and then challenged afterwards.

I'm assuming there were no other witnesses?
Old 13 August 2009, 11:13 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

it winds me when i have to get done for pitty crime you got postcode wars in tottenham where people are getting shot and stabbed and they still target motourist.

i had one of my neighbours who came by and had abit of a nose but then again the police officer had no witnesses as his partner was dealing with someone else.

after he has done a check on the car is really relevant to ask me to produce on top of that?
Old 13 August 2009, 11:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup you shouldnt have given him back chat, not a good idea
But the law states that you have to be using your mobile, not touching it so you have to ask for an itemised record of calls from your provider (both recieved and calls made, including text messages) to get out of this one.

Tony
Old 13 August 2009, 11:39 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
he said right under section act 164 of the law ect you are not a loud to touch your mobile phone while driving.
Rubbish.

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
so guys have i got a leg to stand on?
Yes; get a good solicitor. Youll win and the court will award you costs, so itll cost little or nothing.

Originally Posted by A Respected Motoring Solicitor
Holding a mobile phone whilst driving is not an offence. The only time it is an offence is if you are using it whilst holding it and whilst driving.
Emma Patterson has a good reputation. Not Nick Freeman, but she doesnt charge as much either...

Simon
Old 13 August 2009, 12:15 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

and told to him to go and get real criminals
Why do people say that?

There is one sure fire way to get the attention of plod... and its to start running your mouth. You might as well point out that you are just going home after ******** his mum... and she was rubbish.

If you dont agree with what plod is saying, say so... but dont run your mouth. If its on camera you will look a right d1ck in court.

Just stay calm, have a reasonable conversation and if you are not happy just shut up and have your day in court if you know you are right.

The chances of that plod remembering you forever after playing up are rather high... be just "some other customer" and the chances are he will forget all about you and this might well help you come play time in court...
Old 13 August 2009, 12:57 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by billythekid
Why do people say that?

There is one sure fire way to get the attention of plod... and its to start running your mouth. You might as well point out that you are just going home after ******** his mum... and she was rubbish.

If you dont agree with what plod is saying, say so... but dont run your mouth. If its on camera you will look a right d1ck in court.

Just stay calm, have a reasonable conversation and if you are not happy just shut up and have your day in court if you know you are right.

The chances of that plod remembering you forever after playing up are rather high... be just "some other customer" and the chances are he will forget all about you and this might well help you come play time in court...

Because its ******* true you lemon!

In my town there are plenty of know heroin dealers, crack houses, illegal immigrants, paedos, kids with knives etc etc that deserve WAY more attention than someone who happens to have a phone on his hand while driving.

The problem is that the above generally wont just bend over and take a fine, where as your average motorist will, that means there is money in it to line the piggies coffers (and pay for all the unmarked performance cars they seem to have acquired to go round baiting other drivers into racing, then pulling them, the *****!) so the top pigs who give the orders make sure all the little piggies go around harrassing motorists for **** all under the pretence that using a mobile while driving is dangerous, which is complete b0ll0cks, cos they will make money out of it, where as real policing COSTS money, time and effort, so is generally left alone!

And no i will not stay calm when a 23 year old copper jumps out of his car with a smile on his face cos he love the little bit of power being a sh1tty copper gives him and then proceeds to talk to me like a naughty five year old in a very patronising tone of voice, and when asked to be a bit more polite starts telling me he can talk to me how he likes and then decides to give me a producer even though he radio'd the details through and all was well! How about heres the address of the heroin dealer near my ex girlfiends house, go get some of your little piggie chums and go and raid it!

The statement i quoted makes you sound like a right little hitler, "just shut up and have your day in court", how about **** off. How these little tw@s get the power to put some one in court is beyond me, they ALL have psycological issues from having a crap teenage life and think being a sh1tty copper to everyone they meet will somehow make up for the desperately unhappy, lonely, hairypalmed teenage years they were unfortunate enough to experience!

And next time ill use the "going home to **** your mum" line, it'll be funny!

Are you a copper?

Last edited by GC8WRX; 13 August 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 13 August 2009, 01:05 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

[quote=billythekid;8878803]Why do people say that?

Because its true!!!!!
There are bigger fish to fry out there and yet all these t*ssesrs do is pick on the working man because he is an easy target

Mate if you are telling us the 100% truth get a solicitor, go to court and fight it. Its about time someone stood up to these jumped up jobsworths!!!!!

Last edited by B4D HK; 13 August 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 13 August 2009, 01:26 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i had a long day at work and i clearly stated to him that ive never been in trouble with the law.i wasnt speaking on my phone i was talking on my phone about 20 minutes prior to the so called offence. he asked for my license i was been so polite and as calm and as helpfull as i could then when he radioed the car though and found out that the car did belong to me and i was ligit he said im giving a ticket and 3 points and i thought what a ****** and thats when i lost it with him and i told him you get shootings and stabbings everyday in my area weed and ash cafes are open 3 of them on the road where he stoped me on and yet he botheres me then he said ok now you have to produce within 7 days. and at that point his partner came over i grabbed my ticket got in my car and drove of
Old 13 August 2009, 01:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX

In my town there are plenty of know heroin dealers, crack houses, illegal immigrants, paedos, kids with knives etc etc that deserve WAY more attention than someone who happens to have a phone on his hand while driving.

The problem is that the above generally wont just bend over and take a fine, where as your average motorist will, that means there is money in it to line the piggies coffers (and pay for all the unmarked performance cars they seem to have acquired to go round baiting other drivers into racing, then pulling them, the *****!) so the top pigs who give the orders make sure all the little piggies go around harrassing motorists for **** all under the pretence that using a mobile while driving is dangerous, which is complete b0ll0cks, cos they will make money out of it, where as real policing COSTS money, time and effort, so is generally left alone!

And no i will not stay calm when a 23 year old copper jumps out of his car with a smile on his face cos he love the little bit of power being a sh1tty copper gives him and then proceeds to talk to me like a naughty five year old in a very patronising tone of voice, and when asked to be a bit more polite starts telling me he can talk to me how he likes and then decides to give me a producer even though he radio'd the details through and all was well! How about heres the address of the heroin dealer near my ex girlfiends house, go get some of your little piggie chums and go and raid it!

The statement i quoted makes you sound like a right little hitler, "just shut up and have your day in court", how about **** off. How these little tw@s get the power to put some one in court is beyond me, they ALL have psycological issues from having a crap teenage life and think being a sh1tty copper to everyone they meet will somehow make up for the desperately unhappy, lonely, hairypalmed teenage years they were unfortunate enough to experience!

And next time ill use the "going home to **** your mum" line, it'll be funny!

Are you a copper?
You can say as much as you like about how the coppers are failing this, failing that etc. End of the day though Mustapha (sp) didn't do himself any favours regardless of how he was treated. It should have been a simple case of taking the patronising talk, making a complaint in due course and challenging anything in court in the proper manner.

No I'm not a cop, and I generally don't have a lot of respect for them... BUT I certainly wouldn't shoot myself in the foot like you have admitted you would above, just to look like some clever dick infornt of your mates.

No offence (as I agree with a lot of what you say), but grow up FFS
Old 13 August 2009, 01:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds boody harsh ,unless your not giving us the whole story ?

Especially since i see people actually visibly on the phone everyday STILL ( dont understand how they get away with it )

Maybe he hadnt had a conviction all day
Old 13 August 2009, 01:57 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

hmmm n how did the police officer see you picking your phone up from floor and onto the seat from standing on the road, are you telling us full story because i find it impossible that he can see u picking a phone up in ur hand off the floor from the side of the road. my guess is you where using it and threw it down on the seat as you saw him and got caught out. if it did fall on floor, indicate pull in and stop and pick it up, while driving along the road looking on the floor picking a phone up with one hand on the wheel you have no control and could have hit someone if not killed someone etc.
Old 13 August 2009, 02:15 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i drive a smart roadster the side compartment cant take a lot i had two phones there a lighter a few pens and some paper sometimes things tend to slide out of there. i picked up the phone and placed it on the other seat.
Old 13 August 2009, 02:22 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Sounds to me that we havent had the full story here. If you are telling the truth then you have nothing to fear, get the phone records and have your day in court, if on the other hand you are telling porkies, take the points like a man and stop using your phone without a hands free. As for the anti police rants in here, some people need to grow the **** up, if you dont like the way the police is run do something about it, ie. write to your MP. Getting gobby with a copper will get you nowherebut in more strife.
Old 13 August 2009, 02:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

GC8WRX, you dont have to talk about the police like that, how would you like it if I just gave you total **** for no reason at all? and most people who call the police "filth" or "pigs" are normally the lower part of social life, do you fall into that category or are you a bit higher up the chain than that?

I was pulled by a copper, doing 85mph (cough cough), was polite, he told me to slow down as it wasnt a race, let off there
Act nicely and you wont (unless you have been a total tosser) be done, you will just get a warning, its like any job, you go to a restaurant and give the chef grief, hey, dont want to be eating your food!! (if you have not seen Road Trip I suggest you get it out and watch it!)

Mus, serves yourself right giving a TRAFFIC cop grief you do understand that he doesnt go doing drugs busts on a daily basis dont you? normally your CID or local beat cops do that sort of stuff, TRAFFIC cops deal with motorists, you know the 15 or so million of us that drive around, pretty hard job if you ask me, that ratio must be a good 15-30k to 1 traffic cop if not more.

One more thing, it also depends where you are, when one of our neighbours cars was stolen a few weeks back, we had 2 coppers doing door to door to see if anyone heard or saw anything, you wont get that in a big city, they dont have the resources for it

Tony
Old 13 August 2009, 02:32 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

The problem ( as I see it ) is this...... we motorists are soft targets..... we arent likeley to pull a weapon on a copper when pulled for speeding or holding a phone.....and we ARE garaunteed revenue
personally i would pleed not guilty ... phone records can be checked
Old 13 August 2009, 02:36 PM
pooeater
Scooby Regular

Well said GC8WRX im with you on this one
Old 13 August 2009, 02:47 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yup you shouldnt have given him back chat, not a good idea
But the law states that you have to be using your mobile, not touching it so you have to ask for an itemised record of calls from your provider (both recieved and calls made, including text messages) to get out of this one.

Tony

Could they not argue that all though he didn't recieve a text at that particular does not mean that he wasn't reading an old text message ??
Old 13 August 2009, 02:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Biggs
Could they not argue that all though he didn't recieve a text at that particular does not mean that he wasn't reading an old text message ??
This is true and then its down to the descression of the officer to weather or not the driver is in full control of the car at the time, if they are deemed to be dangerous then they can be done for that, but proving they were reading (which btw isnt illegal ) is pretty hard.

Tony
Old 13 August 2009, 02:57 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

did he actually say to you that you have 3 points because in your story you have only statd that you have to PRODUCE documents
Old 13 August 2009, 03:00 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

You DO have a case. PM if you require assistance.

When the police 'catch' you with mobile phone part of the criteria is that they take the phone number and network of the company that you use (such as Orange etc.......) This data is required as evidence to state you were using a phone which was in operation at time of being caught.

As I said even stronger case if what you have stated is exact truth and happy to assist. But I must stress you are being cautioned for mobile phone use and not careless driving/due care??????

Pse note its note the 3 points that are the mega disaster with such case but the 33% hike that almost all companies are adding when they hear it was for moby phone use.
Old 13 August 2009, 03:00 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

Originally Posted by fastmike
The problem ( as I see it ) is this...... we motorists are soft targets..... we arent likeley to pull a weapon on a copper when pulled for speeding or holding a phone.....and we ARE garaunteed revenue
personally i would pleed not guilty ... phone records can be checked
Yes but then again you should expect to be pulled over and dealt with if you are doing either of the above points, as they are illegal.

I'm no saint but when i get stopped for doing something which i know is wrong i'm going to be as helpfull as possible in order to get off lighter

Last edited by Biggs; 13 August 2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: unfortunately i'm illiterate
Old 13 August 2009, 03:14 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Biggs
Yes but then again you should expect to be pulled over and dealt with if you are doing either of the above points, as they are illegal.

I'm no saint but when i get stopped for doing something which i know is wrong i'm going to be as helpfull as possible in order to get off lighter
Biggs I totally agree....... Im the most polite guy when I,m pulled..

Far be it for me to say to the officer as he walks up to my window.....I,l take a big mac , medium fries and a chocolate shake please
Old 13 August 2009, 03:24 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastmike
Biggs I totally agree....... Im the most polite guy when I,m pulled..

Far be it for me to say to the officer as he walks up to my window.....I,l take a big mac , medium fries and a chocolate shake please
Lmfao I haven't had a **** all night drinkstable
Old 13 August 2009, 03:29 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

he wasnt a traffic cop he was on foot, and i didnt give him abuse untill he told me i have 3 points,thats when i started telling him to go and bother some real criminals then he replayed back pick a police station of your choice cause im going to need you to produce all your documents, he was just been ****** you do get some police officers where they ask you a few questions you answer back in a good manner and away you go but in this case for every action theres a reaction
Old 13 August 2009, 03:30 PM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

What you could do is to refuse to pay the fine, get a court summons and wait for plods witness statement. If you think you got no chance, you still got a chance of pleading guilty before attendning court. Personally I would fight it, you wont get any extra points, just the level of fine will alter.

I was in a similar situation over a year ago, with 2 officers providing a statement against me. I decided that I wasnt going to "just take it". I went to court, represented myself and won.

Were you cautioned by the way?
Old 13 August 2009, 03:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX

Might be time to move away from the ghetto ?

Quick Reply: 3 points for holding phone