Sponsored by:

square number plates

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2009, 11:28 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default square number plates

hi i want to change my front number plate to a square 1 but dont no wat the sizes are can anyone help,
Old 06 August 2009, 11:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically its not allowed, the only cars that can have square number plates are ones that cannot (or dont) have the fitting for the rectangle ones (this includes imports).

Tony
Old 06 August 2009, 11:46 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

i've got an import, the problem i av is that the person i brought the car off had cut out all the plastic bits in the bumper were the number plate was ment to be
Old 06 August 2009, 11:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

This is what you need

Special Concession for Owners of Imported Vehicles

A concession which will permit some vehicles to continue to display motorcycle size number plates was announced on July 31st 2001 by Minister for Transport John Spellar.This will apply to certain imported cars, mainly from America and the Far East. It follows concerns about the cost of modifying vehicles which are designed for foreign markets and unable to display UK size number plates.

Minister for Transport John Spellar. said

"The introduction of this concession demonstrates that the Government listens and responds to the concerns of motorists.

"We have taken into account the views of enthusiasts, vehicle importers and the police. We have been assured that law enforcement agencies will be able to recognise and record the smaller character size.

"We are clear that the cost of modifying some of these vehicles, in particular those which originate from the USA, to take standard size plates would be costly and unfair. We intend therefore to allow them to display motorcycle size number plates."

Harry Tune, Chairman of the American Auto Club UK, welcomed the announcement:

"This really is a milestone in the history of the American car enthusiast in Britain. We so appreciate that a Government department has listened to us and been sympathetic to our needs.

"Over 90% of American cars, whether classic or modern, are manufactured with a motorcycle size number plate indent so this concession will benefit thousands of enthusiasts.

"I am absolutely delighted at today's news."

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will commence a short consultation exercise prior to amendment of the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001.

Information courtesy of dtlr.gov.uk

Its the part about unable to display uk size numberplates, unfortunately subaru's can and subsequently its illegal to put square plates on, evo's on the other hand have a square fitting so....
But how the hell can you cut off the plastic bits? you can do 2 things, sticker on the bonnet or bottom of the bumper or have the bumper re done to fit the correct size number plate

Tony
Old 07 August 2009, 09:29 AM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

the bloke who had the car cut all the black plastic out in the bumper where the number plate screwed to and stuck a crappy sticker plate on that folds around the bottom of the bumper found a receipt showing that he paid £245 to have this done. i think i will try and put some mesh there and tie wrap a new number plate on, cheers
Old 07 August 2009, 09:57 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

craigsplates do square ones in road legal 11" x 8".

Have one on mine manufacture named, BSA marked and never had a problem.

Old 07 August 2009, 10:14 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

so what if i have a c-west front bumper and no brackets for the number plate due to fmic. can i get away with a little one?? im concidering buying a new one today?

i have been reading up on this but you all know what its like. millions of different contradictive things on the internet
Old 07 August 2009, 10:24 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the same as 53WRX i fitted a square plate to mine after doing the front mount. It has been through an mot and never had any problems.

Name:  006-3.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  154.0 KB
Old 07 August 2009, 12:52 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

My import classic came with a square number plate in the middle. When I fitted a FMIC I cut the edges off the plate to the legal minimum (found on DVLA website) and screwed it to a cheap ebay fog cover.
Old 07 August 2009, 03:07 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Strictly Imprezas cant use a motorcyle font number plate at the front, because the bumper will accomodate a regular sized part. The way around it is to use the number plate carrier that held the Japanese registration plates: the plates cant leave Japan but the carriers are usually thrown in the boot. You can argue that the carrier was required in order to pass SVA, which makes it part of the approved spec; so it must continue to be used.

Simon
Old 07 August 2009, 06:57 PM
Mr_White
Scooby Regular

Some of you are getting confused, motorcycle front number plates are different from legal square car plates, motorcycle ones are a few inches smaller, as the legal font requirement is smaller as well, one which is illegal on a car.

Square plates are legal on any car provided they adhere to the font and spacing rules, etc, having to have a plate a few inches wider is hardly anything to get upset about

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561

Last edited by Mr_White; 07 August 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07 August 2009, 07:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Mr_White
Some of you are getting confused, motorcycle front number plates are different from legal square car plates, motorcycle ones are a few inches smaller, as the legal font requirement is smaller as well, one which is illegal on a car.

Square plates are legal on any car provided they adhere to the font and spacing rules, etc, having to have a plate a few inches wider is hardly anything to get upset about

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561
Square plates are only legal on cars if the car doesnt have a factory mounting for a rectangular plate like evo's and american cars (with that nice post I found on the dvla site i posted up ) otherwise its illegal

Tony
Old 07 August 2009, 07:49 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

I fully understand: having imported and registered many, many cars. When were talking about motorcycle sized fonts, I dont feel that its necessary to fully describe them as such whenever mentioned.

Vehicles which dont have a standard sized mounting apeture may use a smaller two line part which uses the regualtion motorcyle sized font.

Perhaps you dont fully understand; Mr White?
Old 07 August 2009, 08:03 PM
Mr_White
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Square plates are only legal on cars if the car doesnt have a factory mounting for a rectangular plate
No they're not, they're legal on any car as long as it meets font and spacing requirements, etc.

Ring the DVLA if you want, or just read the documentation linked.

Your article simply refers to motorcycle plates, not legal square car plates.

Last edited by Mr_White; 07 August 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:04 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Some of you are getting confused, motorcycle front number plates are different from legal square car plates
Further to my post above: theres no such thing as a 'motorcylce front number plate' that youre referring to. When did you last see a motorcycle with a front registration plate?
Old 07 August 2009, 08:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sticker plate does for me.

Not screwing into my foglight.

Have a bike sized plate kicking around somewhere, should my cars front end change.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:08 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Further to my post above: theres no such thing as a 'motorcylce front number plate' that youre referring to. When did you last see a motorcycle with a front registration plate?
In a picture, they are similar to standard car plate, curved to match the splash guard thing over the front wheel.

It was in black and white this pic mind.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:08 PM
Mr_White
Scooby Regular

We're not talking motorcycle front number plates, we're talking motorcycle spec number plates, (miswording on my part ) which some people put on the front of their cars, which is illegal, opposed to slightly larger legal car square number plates.

Last edited by Mr_White; 07 August 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:12 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

We're not talking motorcycle front number plates, we're talking motorcycle spec number plates, which some people put on the front of their cars, which is illegal, opposed to slightly larger legal car square number plates.
Bollox. Total and utter.

I have 2 front number plates(neither fitted). One is the standard import sized square plate that my car came with. The other, supplied by Halfords, is a rear motorbike size plate, which is smaller than the import plate, by a good measure.

Perfectly legal too.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:15 PM
Mr_White
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Bollox. Total and utter.

I have 2 front number plates(neither fitted). One is the standard import sized square plate that my car came with. The other, supplied by Halfords, is a rear motorbike size plate, which is smaller than the import plate, by a good measure.

Perfectly legal too.
Motorcycle spec plates are too small to adhere to legal font sizing and spacing, as outlined in the documentation I linked.

I'm talking in general, so it's useful for everyone, not just for cars that may qualify for the concession to display motorcycle spec plates legally.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:17 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Mr White, there isnt a 'legal size' of registration plate: the law only stipulates font size, spacing and borders. The upshot of this is that different numbers have different 'legal' sizes. If you have one or more '1's in your registered number then you can have a shorter plate, as you can if you have fewer characters.

If your vehicle does not have an apeture suitable for fixing a regular sized registration plate inot, then you may legally have a plate made which uses the slightly smaller motorcylce font. This may be of either a one line or a two line type. I have always requested a six figure registered number from my local VRO to enable the use of a single line (although this will still be in the same sized plate): sometimes they oblige and sometimes they dont. Where they dont I have used a similar sized registration plate carrying a split registered number. In every case the number plate has complied with the law in every respect.

Be assured that Im not wrong.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:19 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

As Ive already said: this doesnt apply to Imprezas, but you can make it apply by using the Japanese number plate carrier, which will have been required for SVA (or at least, a carrier of some sort will to mask the nasty sharp edges).
Old 07 August 2009, 08:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

No they're not, they're legal on any car as long as it meets font and spacing requirements, etc.

Ring the DVLA if you want, or just read the documentation linked.

Your article simply refers to motorcycle plates, not legal square car plates.
Totally incorrect, you linked absolutely nothing that states that, I on the other hand cut and pasted the part if you read it properly you may see that only cars that have number plates that do not conform (ie evo's and US cars which have holders for smaller plates) then to save the cost of modifying they can be fitted with square plates, ANY other car HAS to be fitted with the normal plate otherwise its ILLEGAL.

Tony
Old 07 August 2009, 08:21 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Mr White, you have learned something today. Now: who says that ScoobyNet is dumbing down?
Old 07 August 2009, 08:25 PM
Mr_White
Scooby Regular

Mr White, there isnt a 'legal size' of registration plate: the law only stipulates font size, spacing and borders. The upshot of this is that different numbers have different 'legal' sizes. If you have one or more '1's in your registered number then you can have a shorter plate, as you can if you have fewer characters.
Right, but 'motorcycle' or any smaller plates are too small to adhere to the standard legal font sizing and spacing, so that's no good for anyone who doesn't have a car that qualifies to legally display a smaller size plate with smaller font, etc.

The OP asked about square plates, and then all these posts pop up motorcycle spec plates, which is no use to anyone unless they qualify to display them, opposed to the legal spec square plates that any car can use, not just special cases.

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Totally incorrect, you linked absolutely nothing that states that, I on the other hand cut and pasted the part if you read it properly you may see that only cars that have number plates that do not conform (ie evo's and US cars which have holders for smaller plates) then to save the cost of modifying they can be fitted with square plates, ANY other car HAS to be fitted with the normal plate otherwise its ILLEGAL.

Tony
Both of my links state both legal layouts and font sizing and spacing, which can be used on a square plate, on any car.

Your article simply refers to 'motorcycle' plates, read your own article

Last edited by Mr_White; 07 August 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:33 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Tony's twp replies answered absolutely correctly, there was no need to correct him: he was right.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:35 PM
Mr_White
Scooby Regular

My point is that any car can legally display a square plate, which he denied, wherein fact he was referring to 'motorcycle' plates as stated in his article.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:37 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Contextual confusion no doubt, as he was talking about 'square' motorcycle font plates already.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:39 PM
Mr_White
Scooby Regular

At least thanks to our little debate everyone will now be informed on the legalities of smaller 'motorcycle' square plates and the larger legal ones that any car can display, when they want to change to a square plate
Old 07 August 2009, 08:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

My point is that any car can legally display a square plate.
Not according to the law

Its in there and quite clearly states that you cannot just put a square plate on a car

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

Tony

Quick Reply: square number plates