Newbie - Found a car on Pistonheads

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2009, 11:50 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Found a car on Pistonheads

Hi,

I'm Ross from Scotland and I'm looking to get my first impreza. I come from the silky smooth world of 6 cyclinder BMW's and fancy a change.

There's a nice impreza on Pistonheads that has caught my eye, does anyone have any thoughts on it?

Subaru : Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 Ltd Edition Terzo

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm 21 but I've checked insurance and I can insure a UK model no probs, can't get insurance on any imports though.

Thanks

Ross
Old 05 August 2009, 11:57 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Nice Terzo (The is an owners club for these too for any further advice)

I'd want to see the paperwork/receipts regarding the re-build.

Great 1st Impreza
Old 05 August 2009, 11:58 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.

What should I be looking for on the rebuild receipts?
Old 05 August 2009, 12:09 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Just to see who did it and what parts were replaced, what work was actually done etc etc.

and I'd take the dump valve off, some issues with fueling mixture ratios
Old 05 August 2009, 07:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right you need to take note of this part:-

Whilst the exterior is generally in good condition there are a few rust spots (the worst being on the drivers side rear arch) as well as a crack in the front bumper all of these are only really noticable when close up to the vehicle.
The rust needs to be sorted, a "good" paint job just set me back 700 quid for the roof, boot, both rear arches (which required blending into the rear quarters) but I know its a good job so you have to plan for this sort of cost and not some bodge job which will rust again in 12 months

Service wise, forget the minor service, I "always" get my decent cars fully serviced including all the belts, cost you anywhere between 5-600 quid all in, BUT it makes it fairly cheap for the next 2 years and also factor into the equasion that the brakes on these suck (2 pots) and a nice set of 4 pots will cost you 250 quid or you need to upgrade your pads/discs (I would go for the 4 pots tbh).

So your initial layout will end up more towards 4k than 2.5k, and you may have a few other bits that need doing, you need to plan for those also as with nearly 100k on the clock, your going to have parts wearing.

Tony
Old 05 August 2009, 07:42 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

OK, here is my opinion:-

1. He clearly hasn't had it long - and wants to sell - a BIG WARNING for me (the Insurance excuse is not true .. no-one buys without costing it up first!) there is another reason he is selling and you need to find out what it is - has he found something?

2. How many owners has it had? More than 3 and I would give it a wide berth - good cars stay with their owners for a long time.

3. HPi clear ... yeah, maybe when he bought it - but he could have smashed it up in the meantime - do your own!

4. New engine needed at 63,000 miles?? Hmmmmm, this would make me RUN away - these engines last for well into 6 figures with no issues.

5. The market for Imprezas is very quiet - you can demand the very best and get it - wait, look, and buy a cracker .... I don't think this is that one IMO.
Old 05 August 2009, 10:30 PM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a budget of £2300 and need a UK model for insurance purposes. Anyone know of any genuine good ones for this kind of money?
Old 05 August 2009, 10:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

For 2300 and no extra cash to sort out any "issues" then personally I would forget it (or do you have the extra cash to sort out the issues? )
There is a nice wrx wagon for sale for next to nothing (see the thread on here) go to a speciallist for insurance (keith Michaels) as they push out only slightly more power than a UK car (218 v 208bhp) so you may get lucky and have some cash to spend on the car to get it tip top

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...wrx-wagon.html

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 05 August 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05 August 2009, 10:43 PM
hoochydady
Scooby Regular

hi ross it looks not to bad but it had a 4 k rebuild then its sold 30 od k later if it was me id want more out of what i payd for the rebuild than 30 od k he cant insure it but can a gti 6 bit od dont ya think? and it looks like its sitting out side a work shop unit poss repair job go look ya never know it may be a good 1 but do all the hpi and look well over it and hear it from a cold start and take it a few miles drive
Old 06 August 2009, 09:01 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

nah I wouldn't have much extra money to sort out major issues. I thought imprezas were good solid reliable motors but it doesn't sound like it from what I'm hearing in this thread.

For £2300 I could buy a minter of a T5 Volvo or a BMW e36 M3, or a couple of hundred more and buy an BMW e34 M5, but £2300 can't buy you a decent impreza?

Coming from a BMW background, I think I must be spoiled, because I wouldn't hesitate to get a BMW with over 100K on the clock. With Impreza's I've never came across a car that so many people mention engine changes and rebuilds!

It would be a serious mission for me to travel down to England to see the car before I buy it as I'm from Scotland, but I don't mind travelling for the right car. I'll have a look at that recommended insurance company and see if they could do me a decent quote on import insurance.

Thanks for all the feedback
Old 06 August 2009, 09:27 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

I've sent the guy an email saying this:

Hi,

I put a post on an Impreza forum asking other peoples opinion on your car, have a look here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post8866089

They raised a good few points that I didn't think of. When you say you can't afford to insure the car, I checked the insurance groups for a 306 GTi and it's group 15, where the impreza is only 2 groups higher at group 17, so the insurance wouldn't be much more?

Did you buy the car, realise something was serioiusly wrong with it and now selling it on?

Thanks

Ross
Old 06 August 2009, 09:30 AM
hoochydady
Scooby Regular

hi ross are u in glasgow me 2 the guy thats runing scottishscoobies.net connor has a R plate i think is got about 300 bhp its silver i think hes still got it wants 3 k i think hes in scotland hope this helps ps i could find out if he still has it and his number if ur interested let me know
Old 06 August 2009, 09:38 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

PM sent hoochydady
Old 06 August 2009, 09:40 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

"forget the minor service" remind me not to buy a car from you!
Old 06 August 2009, 09:43 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
"forget the minor service" remind me not to buy a car from you!
I think he means get a full service everytime instead of alternating between a minor and major service
Old 06 August 2009, 09:46 AM
hoochydady
Scooby Regular

hi ross of u fire ur moby number over in a pm i will get the guy to phone ya and he can sort yer wee email prob to
Old 06 August 2009, 09:51 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Just a ran a HPI check and ity looks alright, apart from having 5 owners maybe?

Old 06 August 2009, 09:56 AM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rossmc
For £2300 I could buy a BMW e36 M3, or a couple of hundred more and buy an BMW e34 M5, but £2300 can't buy you a decent impreza?
An E36 M3 for £2300 If you can find one for that money that doesn't need a mountain of work, let me know and I'll have it.

I had an M3 Evo and believe me, they are moneypits compared to a sorted Scoob.
Old 06 August 2009, 10:10 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I think I was a bit low with £2300 for an m3, if I reverse it to £3200 then that more like it,

FifeCarNutz- Fifes Newest Car Enthusiast site Forums-viewtopic-e36 m3
Old 06 August 2009, 10:23 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

I think Tony may have scared you a little.

If you buy any car that is 10 years old it's gonna have problems, be it a fiesta or a Porsche.

Generally the Impreza is a reliable car, but that can be different from car to car, after all everyone drives differently. I think what everyone is getting at is buyer beware. I have never ever bought a second hand car that has not had a problem that the owner did not let on to, there is always a reason for the sale.

As with any second hand car be prepared to spend some extra after your purchase.

Anyway, this car you are thinking of buying.

HPI report is clear - good but means sh!te really.
30 000 miles on new engine - check those receipts, make sure you know what was replaced and by whom.
Services every 5 thou - check each service carefully, I bet it hasn't been every 5 thou!
11 month MOT - but did it pass first time, any advisories, past advisories?
Alarm - Does it have the cert with it, if not it's worthless for insurance.
Electrics/Aircon - all working, don't trust the guy, check yourself?
Bodywork - As Tony said.
Why so cheap, he is also willing to take offers!
4 months and selling on - not good, try and find out why. He won’t tell you but ask loads of questions, if he is lying he’ll slip up sooner or later.

You really need to meet this chap first before you make any rash decision. Go and visit the car, meet up, but DON'T take any cash with you. By taking cash you will pressure yourself into taking the car there and then, especially after driving all that way. If the car is as good as he says you can give him a small deposit by cheque, this will give you a chance to come away and have a good think about it with a clear head.

I been there done this many times, take your time mate. Although I know you won't.
Old 06 August 2009, 10:30 AM
bennno
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys, just so everyone knows this is my subaru for sale.

In reference to the insurance i did know the cost of it, but it does mean i will be paying over double the amount to insure my GTI-6 (renewal came in at £400 TPFT and my company wouldnt touch me on an impreza)

I've been honest in the ad and the main reason for sale is that i was banking on getting well over 2k for my GTI-6 (having spent a fortune on it this year) and have seen similar cars going for £1500.

Im also considering moving out, so having an impreza probably wouldnt be a sensible choice (again i probably should have thought of this before buying)

Its a great car, but i just dont think its for me at the moment as ive always had peugeots (on my 6th now). it was a bit of an impulse purchase (not that i didnt look over it very carefully) after having a go in a friends wagon.

I havent crashed it as one person suggested as its been parked up since i collected it as my insurance doesnt run out till oct and the original intent was to insure it then and get rid of the 6 and i do have reciepts to back up the work undertaken.

I understand the suspicion but just wanted to clear my name if you like lol.

Ben
Old 06 August 2009, 10:33 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Cheers for joining this thread Ben, car forums are great for buying cars and getting everyone involved
Old 06 August 2009, 10:45 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Had a look back through old posts and here's Ben talking about when he got his Terzo, what he says now and then seem to match up, so that's good

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...534-hello.html
Old 06 August 2009, 10:52 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The car had done 60,000 miles in January 2003.

At 63,000 miles it blew it's engine and needed a rebuild - this would have taken it off the road for a while ..... but, 35,000 miles in 6 1/2 years is a very small mileage for the numbers of keepers, only 5,000 miles a year?

Good to see the owner posting
Old 06 August 2009, 11:02 AM
bennno
Scooby Newbie

Well ive got the service history and old MOT's which show the mileages stacking up evenly, so i can only assume that the previous owners didnt use the car much. i personally only do about 5K a year as i bike to work.

I havent got anything to hide and ive told ross ill happily go through all of the paperwork with him over the phone, as i know first hand how annoying it is making a huge journey for nothing
Old 06 August 2009, 11:09 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Considering the amout of Petrol these cars go through, it's not really a surprise that it didn't do many miles. I use my car everyday and still only rack up 5000 miles a year. If I did anymore I wouldn't be able to run an impreza.

I'm planning on getting a bike soon for commuting, so it would prob only do 2k a year if I get it
Old 06 August 2009, 03:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Mine has only done an average of 2900 miles a year, which isn't bad for a 10 year old car and I purchased her knowing that there would be a need for unknown work to be done (and budgeted for it ) because you will never buy a car that is perfect (it will need something doing, even if its a service at the bear minimum) though you will find its probably more when you take it to a garage and they give you a big list of minor items that have wear in them like bushes, brake discs and pads etc.
My last 2 cars I sold, the first being a very clean example of a 306 gti6 (3rd gti6 and about the 8th pug)with fsh (sold for 1800 on a 98 R with 95k on the clock, drove like new ) had laqueur peel so required a paint job to make her perfect (pretty much sorted everything else out over the previous 20 months, door looms, ac pipes etc), was bought by a lad from northern scotland who came down for her! (800 mile round trip!) And prior to that was my vauxhall omega, also fsh, 83k (2.5 bmw TD) was due a minor service and had a little rust, was the best the guy had seen, but it still needed a bit of work to get her straight (00 w plate car)

The fact is no 10+ year old car will be perfect, and you have to budget for that, and take into consideration any peace of mind work that you need doing, ie full service so you know where your up to as not every garage will change everything on the list!)

Then you have the bodywork that will need doing before winter or it will cost you far more than a respray, so as its summer, best to get it sorted now
Not everyone you meet will keep the car in tip top condition (actually very few tbh) so ALWAYS budget for repairs

Tony
Old 06 August 2009, 03:45 PM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

I probably should have said I do most work on my cars myself so it wouldn't ever see a garage except for bodywork. I come from old beemers so I know old cars aren't perfect.

A 1998 impreza is a new car to me, my beemers have been from 1988, 1990 and 1994

A wee bit surface rust on an arch is ok, I'm used to having no inner arches at all

Last edited by rossmc; 06 August 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06 August 2009, 03:56 PM
bennno
Scooby Newbie

i too do the majority of the work on my car,but to be honest i lifted the bonnent on the scooby and didnt know where to start!
Old 06 August 2009, 03:58 PM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

I've had a look at a couple of pics and it just looks like a horizontal engine with 2 heads and a turbo and intercooler attached, nothing too scary if you break it down to that

Last edited by rossmc; 06 August 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie - Found a car on Pistonheads