ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

my mates lucky escape

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2009, 05:00 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my mates lucky escape

well my mate took his 53 plate wrx for a service last week...the 60 k one.he had 2 options...150 for cheap parts or 200 hundred for genuine...so he went for the cheapo option being the tight ****.told me they did top job then coming too work yesterday he overtook 1 of the guys and pulled up in a cloud of smoke ..after looking he found out there was hardly any oil in the engine and somehow the oilo filter had leaked and poured doown on to the undertray...luckyly he hasnyt run it dry.the garage refilled it and offerered too reinburse the oil filter.(How generous)..i told him he should take it too a dealer too have them check it out etc but he not that bothered.lets hope this decision was the right 1 as it is a nice car.so the morale is i think pay a bit more and dont let any old spanner monkey on your motor
Old 29 July 2009, 05:05 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

One thing I never skimp on is parts, either genuine as in the case of oil filter or good aftermarket upgraded parts in areas such as brake discs and pads. I just save my money by doing most of the labour myself. The 60k service from what I remember changes all fluids, diff transmission brake fluid and antifreeze. I would be worried what they have done there as well.
Old 29 July 2009, 05:10 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

oh yer defo...for the sake of a few extra quid it money well spent.he just went for the cheap option too get the book stamped i think.i was lucky .i bought my 53 plate from subaru with 46 k on the clock and they threw in a 50 k service.did all the oils and the cambelt for free so mine wont need doing for a bit.he does drive it quite hard too and just kills the engine as soon as parked up.i did mention bout lettin it tick over for minute or 2 but that went in 1 ear out the other lol.he did call me a newbie who knew nothing and i didnt bother mentioning i drove rs turbos years ago and fitted turbos and modded them etc lol
Old 29 July 2009, 05:18 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

this sounds more down to garage/mechanics error to me then cheap parts, I agree with using good parts.
Old 29 July 2009, 05:36 PM
biggi
Scooby Regular

yep agree i have alwayz gone for oem parts and alwayz will but again good after market brakes, clutches and so on are ok as long as u go for a well established manufactuere.
Old 29 July 2009, 05:40 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

When I decided to be a daily scoob driver I had to decide I was going to be broke. Has to be top parts at a top garage every time for me.
Old 29 July 2009, 06:30 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Are you saying the oil filter leaked 'cos it was a cheapy or are you saying it leaked 'cos it wasn't fitted right?
Old 29 July 2009, 06:33 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
Are you saying the oil filter leaked 'cos it was a cheapy or are you saying it leaked 'cos it wasn't fitted right?
More likely the latter. As for cheapy parts, I draw the line at drilled and/or grooved discs, lightened flywheels, 'exedy' clutches etc.