Sponsored by:

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2009, 01:16 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma

Have a '95 JDM WRX : done around 90kmiles, 40k or so of these mine, rest when it was in Japan.
Spent very little on it, no real reliability issues other than hot starting issue (resolved with new cam position sensor) and now it has a leacky centre cat/resonator and a minor oil leak (prob the cam cover)
Due oil change and probably spark plugs renewed asap but it's been very well behaved.
I'm wondering if I should now be looking to replace with a newer model or I've a good chance of maintaining the current reliability record for a couple of years more ?
Probably it's a question that can't be answered precisely but we have a little space financially to spend approx £6500 or so and whilst my wife is no fan of the car (too fast) she acknowledges it's fantastic reliability and overall cost per mile (paid £7000 6 years ago).

We had an TDi Audi A4 a couple of years ago that after around 10 months with us at around 100K miles needed near £2500 spent on new injectors and that gave us an unpleasant shock when they are supposed to be THE bulletprooff reliable saloons.

Are the newer WRXs (prob around a 2004 WRX) as reliable ? Are they going to be as enjoyable to drive after my own car ?
I don't drive mune hard often and am not a modder so I'd do no more than stick a different exhaust on it and that would likely be the only change from standard.
I had a word with a garage selling a '05 plate WRX wagon with £70K miles for £7000 and he was offering me sub £1K (I didn't have the car with me)

So, keep or replace with newer ?
Opinions sought please !
Old 29 July 2009, 01:33 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a 55 plate (i think) hawkeye wrx for £7500 somewhere on the net this week.
Old 29 July 2009, 01:58 PM
AdamMole
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way the market currently is, there are some really nice 2004 WRX for sale for really good prices. As you know there is a lot of people in trouble financially so are getting rid of there pride and joys for little money.

When the market picks up so will people spendings. So potentially if you pick a good un, you could have not only trouble free motoring but probably won't loose much on the car value either.

I had loads of problems with my audi a3, got to the point where I had just had enough with the bloody thing.