Sponsored by:

Should i buy a scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2009, 01:19 PM
yan_buys_parts
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy a scooby?

Hi i thought i would ask on the scooby forum first to see what peoples feed back was like?

should i buy a scooby or not, every car i have owned i have wanted to sound like a scooby so thought why not just get the real thing!!! BUT THEN some one i told said dont do it all you will do is through money into it from the word go, is this true? are they really that unreliable? or was he just unlucky at finding love? please and feedback would be much appreciated
Old 17 July 2009, 01:44 PM
mirrorman
Scooby Regular

well, you'll only throw money at it if you start to mod it, I've had mine three years, the only thing that has needed replacing was the fuel pump, and the radiator.

My impreza has HKS exhaust HKS induction Kit walbro fuel pump, and runs 250bhp all day all year with no problems what so ever.

You will find on here that people run way above mine that are just as reliable.

But its the same as any car, one you start to go a bit crazy with power mods, if you dont uprate other items, things WILL break!

Hope that helps.

Oh also my impreza is for sale!
Old 17 July 2009, 01:46 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

buy the best you can afford do your homework so you know what your buying and make sure you get it checked over PROPERLY and dont think you should any issuse's just dont buy the first one you see.How much you looking to spend ? what you going to use it for ? are you willing to do things right or will you have a strict budget - if you have then i would say steer away hth jon
Old 17 July 2009, 01:55 PM
doormatty
Scooby Regular

buying one is easy now
its the other parts as mentioned
i.e
Insurance
Running costs
Upgrades ( not expensive just the labour costs )
if you can live with all this then buy one
Old 17 July 2009, 01:59 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

buy and look after it and you can get years of reliable ownership.. start to neglect it and things will more than likley go **** up.. these cars need to be looked after (as does any car) especially the turbo versions. true they arnt cheap to maintain but its worth paying the extra for a proper job rather than having to do bits to it on a regular basis.

if you intend to tune it then do it properly,you cant just wack a big turbo on and expect it to go like the clappers, maybe it will but only for about 2 mins untill the engine gives up. upgrade to your budget, and youll never look back
Old 17 July 2009, 02:15 PM
yan_buys_parts
Scooby Newbie

i haven't really got a budget just if i see one i like i will buy, i am just looking at keeping it standard no big mods or insain bhp just really love the look and more to the point the sound of the scooby's.

how much is yours up for mirrorman? got pics?

thanks for the replies been very helpful
Old 17 July 2009, 02:17 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you like the car

you registered on here (hello BTW )

then - YES

the insurance is higher, they drink fuel like an alcoholic thats fell off the wagon if you put your foot down, but hey thats performance cars for ya

no major issues with reliability, as said if you look after someting it will last longer

parts are not as bad as you think

service costs are much the same as any other car

worth every penny for the grin factor alone

take your time, have a good look around, its well worth travelling 200 miles if its the right motor.

good luck

steve

Last edited by Steve001; 17 July 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 17 July 2009, 02:28 PM
jpmilling
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a 2003 sti blob eye, had it now for nearly 3 years as its been the best car i have ever had. never let me down yet and other than the usual service i've only had to replace a turbo oil feed pipe @ £60. not bad really, spent over 12k in mods mind lol but its been running 400bhp for a year now and is still going strong on 55,000 miles. got nos on it now too. my advice would be to do a bit of research on what models are about (there are a few) and things to look out for on those models ie, prices, any common faults to look for.

i personally wanted an evo before i got my scooby but the model i wanted was to expensive so i bought the scooby. so pleased that i did, would never look back now. truely amazing car and worth every penny.

all the best with your search
Old 17 July 2009, 02:32 PM
yan_buys_parts
Scooby Newbie

im looking at getting an older wrx 1996-1999 kind of age love the shape not to keen on the newer shapes.

so anyone selling get informing :-)
Old 17 July 2009, 02:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...d-edition.html

Very rare limited edition. Very nice spec too.
Old 17 July 2009, 02:41 PM
yan_buys_parts
Scooby Newbie

looking for something as silly as it sounds more standard :-) but thanks for the post
Old 17 July 2009, 02:47 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I have a UK2000 turbo, I factor about £1k a year to run it (services, tyres etc) it is the most solid car I have ever owned.
I have a MY06 hawkeye Impreza wagon. 3 years old about 140k on the clock now and it has NEVER missed a beat.
Until a few months ago I have a bugeye MY02 STi, it needed a clutch and a service in a year, thats all.

I have would recommend anyone get an Impreza, IMO they are top cars, cheap ish to run and out perform just about everything else in the same price range.
Old 17 July 2009, 02:51 PM
Wagwann
Scooby Regular

i bought a 1994 and rushed into buying one it had 100k on the clock but looked nice, i test drove it and everything was ok was boosting well and running fine but i got it for 1500 i new that something would be wrong it because it was so cheap, couple weeks later the turbo wasnt boosting over 5psi and it seamed to have problem starting in the morning then when i took the oil cap off it had alot of crank pressure . . way too much, i was going too rebuild the engine but i dont want to make a cheap job of it so for now i am putting a wrx 97 version engine in it got the car at a good price with 35k on the clock, then slowly build my other engine up, i havnt looked back tho, in a way am glad its all happened because in the end i will be left with exatcly what i want, and i no what is done with it.

the time it did work it was great nice sound nice looks,

subaru`s are not cheaply built, just take your time choosing one dont rush into anything these plenty around
Old 17 July 2009, 03:02 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I have a standard Version 4 Type R for less than 5k
Old 17 July 2009, 03:44 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

i brought a 93 import recommended to me by a machanic the only thing i got was a bag of nails, definatly get it checked and looked at properley, saying this though i love driving it but i do need to spend some money on it worth it though, would always tell people to get 1 the feeling you get when you start driving it is bril, my mrs wants me to get an astra NEVER going to happen
Old 17 July 2009, 04:53 PM
mirrorman
Scooby Regular

yan buys parts, Ive sent you a pm mate.
Old 17 July 2009, 05:06 PM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

As everyone is saying, they're easy to buy (especially at the moment) and DON'T be tempted with the first one you see.

Running costs are higher than a day-to-day car but the fun you have owning a Scooby is well worth it

We've had ours for a shade over 2 years. It's a 95 Jap import with 104000 miles on the clock. We've put a bit of money into it but nothing to write home about.

It's used every day by Mrs Big Pete too

Good luck with finding the right car and let us know how you get on.
Old 17 July 2009, 05:41 PM
yeehaa customs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
you like the car

you registered on here (hello BTW )

then - YES

the insurance is higher, they drink fuel like an alcoholic thats fell off the wagon if you put your foot down, but hey thats performance cars for ya

no major issues with reliability, as said if you look after someting it will last longer

parts are not as bad as you think

service costs are much the same as any other car

worth every penny for the grin factor alone

take your time, have a good look around, its well worth travelling 200 miles if its the right motor.

good luck

steve

Well said
Old 17 July 2009, 06:07 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

^ +1

If you dont buy it now when are you going to have one. Everyone should own a scooby or similar at some point in their life ....

They are very reliable, make sure you get a clean example, service history etc, take someone along with you who knows scoobys, go to see a couple etc ....

When I bought mine I tried to be sensible, I went to the Seat garage first thinking I should get a diesel, that thought lasted all of 10 seconds once I'd got there, I jumped back in the car and the Mrs said 'where are we going now, we've only just got here' ... my reply was simple, 'the subaru garage' two weeks later I drove home in one

Look forward to hearing how your hunt goes and seeing some pics soon !!
Old 17 July 2009, 06:12 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

YES,you should definitely buy a scooby mate.I've wanted one for years but never really been in a position to own one until now.They are very reliable and soooooooooo much fun.I still do a sex wee every time i put my foot down You won't regret it mate
Old 17 July 2009, 06:29 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
^ +1

If you dont buy it now when are you going to have one. Everyone should own a scooby or similar at some point in their life ....

They are very reliable, make sure you get a clean example, service history etc, take someone along with you who knows scoobys, go to see a couple etc ....

When I bought mine I tried to be sensible, I went to the Seat garage first thinking I should get a diesel, that thought lasted all of 10 seconds once I'd got there, I jumped back in the car and the Mrs said 'where are we going now, we've only just got here' ... my reply was simple, 'the subaru garage' two weeks later I drove home in one

Look forward to hearing how your hunt goes and seeing some pics soon !!

Same tale for my first Impreza purchase, I went to drive a 911 (996 C2) and I ended up putting a deposit down on a bugeye STi PPP.
Old 17 July 2009, 07:43 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
Smile

similar Tim except you went to test drive a Porsche, whilst I was looking at a diesel Seat lol

Mine is pushing around 340bhp, gets used everyday, 40mile round commute at the moment and is as reliable as ever
Old 17 July 2009, 08:15 PM
yan_buys_parts
Scooby Newbie

definitely looking now!!! mirrorman thanks for the PM but bit to much done to it for my liking, good luck on the sale though.

i am looking for a box standard subaru, maybe at most with exhaust and bov.

had a look through my fundings and have got about 2K - 2.5K can i get somthing half decent for that do you think?
Old 17 July 2009, 08:23 PM
raymondbowon
Scooby Regular

if you shop around you should do mate, mine was 3k, a friend has just bought one for 3k. average mileage, full subaru history.

I had a focus st before this and although the st had way more torque from low down the acceleration and general driving experience is so much more enjoyable with the impreza.

2.5k should get you a decent classic shape impreza with service history if you are prepared to be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

here is one example, doesnt look to bad Racetech Cars limited : SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO UK SILVER 4DR SALOON

good luck with whatever you do mate.
Old 17 July 2009, 08:28 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I have a feeling importednights (thats his user name) has a fairly standard uk2000 for sale.
Give him a PM if you after a classic.