Sponsored by:

Blown Engine !?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2009, 10:19 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Blown Engine !?!?!?

Hello, I rencently posted a thread regarding TGV issues (P1096). however having taken the car to a local garage whom do not have experteese on Subaru's told me that my TGV issue is a problem but its not something i should be woryying about mainly. Although the car is in limp mode, he thinks the car is running rough, possible big end issue on one cylinder, and he thinks i may have a turbo issue too (the car is in limp mode so this would be hard to say as there is no boost). I have also noticed a bit of what looks like oil leak on the top of the mainfold just under he the Baileys BOV which is bolted onto the Intercooler. The car temp gauge on the dash says normal running temp, but the onboards ecu reader states the temp is getting too hot occasionaly. I have decided not to tun the car now at all even to drive to the garage etc, and i have looked into borrowing a collegues car transaporter and the car is due to go to Pennine Subaru over at hebden bridge way. My question to you is what with the above, do you think it is best for me to do, i have only just bought the car laat week with the car in limp and was aware that it need some work, but unsure to what extremity. Pennine Subaru will obviously give me a diognosis and point me in the right direction, but cost means everything to me at the moment as im completly broke now with house renovation taking all my wada. Thanks for reading, i appreciate your views and help. Any Engine for sale?!?! Rob
Old 14 July 2009, 10:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing you need to do is step back a little and take a breath. Appreciate it's a downer having just bought the car and now finding things are wrong but equally you want to make sure that whatever steps you take are the right ones. Trying to buy a new engine now, for example, is a bit premature given what you know so far.

It doesn't sound as though the garage who's already advised you knows much about these cars. What you need, more than anything else right now, is to put it in front of someone who really does know their stuff and who can tell you with confidence what's right and what's wrong. Pennine are as good as any.

The "oil leak" you've noticed, for example, may be a sign of a problem, but it may also be normal. The crankcase vent system recycles oil through the inlet tract, and so the VTA dumpvalve will "leak" a small amount every time it opens. It's all a question of degree, so the eye and ear (and diagnostic computer) of someone who really knows the cars is the best next move.
Old 14 July 2009, 11:13 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all to do with trust really

is it this one ??

2001 Subaru Impreza WRX UK300 - Top Speed

Pennine Subaru (Chy) have a reasonable / good rep on here ( I forget the name of the SN member who will disagree) but I'd be more than happy to leave the car in their hands rather than the local garage you mentioned..

The bugeye ECU is a bit fickle sometimes and can "throw it's toys out of the pram" at random LOL

Shaun
Old 15 July 2009, 10:33 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hiya Shaun and splitpin, thanks for your input, the car is a UK300 2001 plate. The car is going to Chy today or tommorow for a full anaylisis. Fingered crossed its no something expensive, cheers Rob -ps will post results when i have a diagnosis.
Old 15 July 2009, 10:42 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Splitpin
First thing you need to do is step back a little and take a breath. Appreciate it's a downer having just bought the car and now finding things are wrong but equally you want to make sure that whatever steps you take are the right ones. Trying to buy a new engine now, for example, is a bit premature given what you know so far.

It doesn't sound as though the garage who's already advised you knows much about these cars. What you need, more than anything else right now, is to put it in front of someone who really does know their stuff and who can tell you with confidence what's right and what's wrong. Pennine are as good as any.

The "oil leak" you've noticed, for example, may be a sign of a problem, but it may also be normal. The crankcase vent system recycles oil through the inlet tract, and so the VTA dumpvalve will "leak" a small amount every time it opens. It's all a question of degree, so the eye and ear (and diagnostic computer) of someone who really knows the cars is the best next move.
^^^ Great advice^^^

Get advice form Subaru experts before you make a move. Too many places out there will jump to the worst diagnosis then "jump to the rescue" with a replacement engine/rebuild that you might not need!
Old 15 July 2009, 11:58 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, and clearly i mean that im taking it all onboard, Like i said i took it to a garage local 0.5miles away as it was driving in 'limp' mode, so i got their impression that it was possibly a fooked engine... either way they mainly deal in sooped up 4x4 dakar style vehicles, and yes your right they know nest to nothing about the in's and out's of Subaru's, but i figured having their insight can only help. The car will be going to Chy within the next couple of days, so we'll go from their, which means its a possibility its going to be off the road for TOTB which is a shame, we'll see. fingered crossed its all going be easily sorted. Thanks again Rob
Old 15 July 2009, 03:49 PM
solaman
Scooby Regular

as someone said it may be an ecu problem is it not worth a punt trying to reset ecu and see what happens after that it may correct the problem which was being caused by the ecu and hey to do that it's free

damian.
Old 15 July 2009, 06:27 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

New-Age models require a laptop or a "black box" to do an ecu reset.

Two people I know have had lumps knocked off their cars whilst at Chy's place, but he blames the rough roads around his place.....

dunx
Old 15 July 2009, 08:36 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, I’ve been to Chy’s at Pennine Subaru.

He looked at the car and within in minutes he said the car was suffering from a knackered crank and possible 1 damaged piston ring.

There appears to be some history of a Boost Valve on the car, so he think someone has been messing with the car with boosting pressures hence possibly detonated the engine slightly. He said whatever has happened is not serious in his eyes, and it could have been much worse, i.e. Piston smashing a hole in he block.

He said a basic OEM engine rebuild will cost £2250 which is WITHOUT a map, so the car would be running standard WRX Prod rive BHP

The problem I have now is I don’t have funds, so the car will be sat around for many months or I go for a cheaper fix, i.e. an Engine from somewhere, any Ideas???? Or someone else who can rebuild a bit cheaper

Although I do think Chy clearly know his stuffs, it’s a little on the dear side for me so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Can I put in an STI engine with the current ECU??? I don’t know.

Or if you fancy buying a very tidy UK300 with immaculate interior and excellent exterior, with upgraded Mesh Grilles, Originally 18” with F1 tyres and other nice small mods please let me know too.

Don’t get me wrong id sooner keep the car if I can get an engine rebuild cheaper or a complete engine donor transplant. Any ideas please.

Thanks
Rob
0752 20 20 500

Last edited by Rob Day; 15 July 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 15 July 2009, 08:53 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

think your best off doing it properly and getting a rebuild. do it cheao do it twice
Old 15 July 2009, 09:02 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Thats a pretty good price for a rebuild, if you want a laugh ask your local dealer for a price.

you can get a 2nd engine chucked in for around £1.000, just look on ebay. But how long that engine will last is an unknown quantity.

my advice is to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt or sell as is taking the massive hit in value. Mines off on Monday to have a rebuild, Atleast once it's done I know it should see a good few trouble free miles
Old 15 July 2009, 09:10 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Thats a pretty good price for a rebuild, if you want a laugh ask your local dealer for a price.

you can get a 2nd engine chucked in for around £1.000, just look on ebay. But how long that engine will last is an unknown quantity.

my advice is to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt or sell as is taking the massive hit in value. Mines off on Monday to have a rebuild, Atleast once it's done I know it should see a good few trouble free miles
not all off us have much money like some folk feel sorry for the op id put a second hand one into it myself then sell it and buy another
Old 15 July 2009, 09:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Yes im with you there Nick, im thinking this is what i need to do, but feel like im robbing the buyer as i can not offer no gurantees that the engine will last, but then can you with any second hand car??

I love the car so may chance a £1000's worth and then save for a big mama sometime in the future, at least with a cheao donor i can be mobile again.

How long to drop and an engine and put another back in terms of labour hours for a proffesional garage?

Whats your view?

Rob
Old 15 July 2009, 09:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The STI engine has AVCS which complicates things, you can either swap the lump on the cheap, or let Chy loose on it.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

dunx
Old 15 July 2009, 09:23 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Yes im with you there Nick, im thinking this is what i need to do, but feel like im robbing the buyer as i can not offer no gurantees that the engine will last, but then can you with any second hand car??

I love the car so may chance a £1000's worth and then save for a big mama sometime in the future, at least with a cheao donor i can be mobile again.

How long to drop and an engine and put another back in terms of labour hours for a proffesional garage?

Whats your view?

Rob
rob i live local tu you i live in rochdale pm me your no and ill have a chat with you
Old 15 July 2009, 09:25 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Why does The STI engine AVCS cause issues Dunx?
Thanks
Rob
Old 15 July 2009, 09:27 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

My Contacts are 0752 20 20 500 and mail@rcpday.wanadoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob
Old 15 July 2009, 10:03 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

My Contacts are 0752 20 20 500 and mail@rcpday.wanadoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob
rob ill bell you tommorow need tu make a phone call to somebody i know who has various contacts do you want a full engine or bottem end
Old 15 July 2009, 10:13 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hiya Nick appreciate that. Im in need of sleep as im up at 0500. The car is new to me, so im unsure of previous use or abuse, but at the moment i had suspected TGV sensor issues, but now its looking like this along with knackered Crank and 1 piston has damged ring. Speak tmos pal, Rob 0752 20 20 500 ;-)
Old 16 July 2009, 04:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hiya Nick, any ideas, or anyone else for that matter. thanks Rob
Old 16 July 2009, 05:09 PM
saxonator2
Scooby Newbie

Hello, I rencently posted a thread regarding TGV issues (P1096). however having taken the car to a local garage whom do not have experteese on Subaru's told me that my TGV issue is a problem but its not something i should be woryying about mainly. Although the car is in limp mode, he thinks the car is running rough, possible big end issue on one cylinder, and he thinks i may have a turbo issue too (the car is in limp mode so this would be hard to say as there is no boost). I have also noticed a bit of what looks like oil leak on the top of the mainfold just under he the Baileys BOV which is bolted onto the Intercooler. The car temp gauge on the dash says normal running temp, but the onboards ecu reader states the temp is getting too hot occasionaly. I have decided not to tun the car now at all even to drive to the garage etc, and i have looked into borrowing a collegues car transaporter and the car is due to go to Pennine Subaru over at hebden bridge way. My question to you is what with the above, do you think it is best for me to do, i have only just bought the car laat week with the car in limp and was aware that it need some work, but unsure to what extremity. Pennine Subaru will obviously give me a diognosis and point me in the right direction, but cost means everything to me at the moment as im completly broke now with house renovation taking all my wada. Thanks for reading, i appreciate your views and help. Any Engine for sale?!?! Rob
hi rob my name is gaz i got a m reg subaru ej20 engine well got full car for breaking due to crashed rear end will sell engine for £500 my number is 07783100234 got full service history
Old 16 July 2009, 05:26 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Hiya Nick, any ideas, or anyone else for that matter. thanks Rob
ring you shortly rob just gt in
Old 16 July 2009, 06:07 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
ring you shortly rob just gt in
good luck rob hope jason sorts you out
Old 16 July 2009, 07:24 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saxonator2
hi rob my name is gaz i got a m reg subaru ej20 engine well got full car for breaking due to crashed rear end will sell engine for £500 my number is 07783100234 got full service history
Hiya Gaz, will a 95 Engine fit my car, im under the impression not but what do i know lol.
Old 16 July 2009, 07:34 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

good luck rob hope jason sorts you out
Cheers Nick, Yes Jason very helpful, my heads battered with suggestions and possibilities on what to do. Im going to go for the engine transaplant option, but where to get one from is the first challenge, obviously dont want a knackered engine, or one thats done too many miles, or one thats too expensive. Im looking at £2000 for a rebuild and re-instal (so £2000 only and im back on the road), so any engine transplant in my opinion close to this mark seem pointless, as i may aswell get a rebuild with warranty, ie Chy said £2250, a little more than the £2000 ive been quoted locally but he ceetainly knows his stuff. If Anyone has an engine and fancies posting me I'd be keen to consider it, however like i said above, no extreme high mileage, rework required one, or ones that will break the piggy bank. Thanks all, especially Nick and Jason
Old 16 July 2009, 07:40 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nick, Yes Jason very helpful, my heads battered with suggestions and possibilities on what to do. Im going to go for the engine transaplant option, but where to get one from is the first challenge, obviously dont want a knackered engine, or one thats done too many miles, or one thats too expensive. Im looking at £2000 for a rebuild and re-instal (so £2000 only and im back on the road), so any engine transplant in my opinion close to this mark seem pointless, as i may aswell get a rebuild with warranty, ie Chy said £2250, a little more than the £2000 ive been quoted locally but he ceetainly knows his stuff. If Anyone has an engine and fancies posting me I'd be keen to consider it, however like i said above, no extreme high mileage, rework required one, or ones that will break the piggy bank. Thanks all, especially Nick and Jason
anytime rob no probs put a post up in wanted for a engine
Old 16 July 2009, 07:47 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

anytime rob no probs put a post up in wanted for a engine
Good idea, where do i put this, as i listed a post earlier this week and someone said this was in the wrong place. Rob
Old 16 July 2009, 07:55 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

scroll down tu parts and you willl see wanted
Old 16 July 2009, 08:12 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

scroll down tu parts and you willl see wanted
Cheers Nick, listed an engine required post.... new to this lol