Sponsored by:

struggling to start

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2009, 01:32 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default struggling to start

any ideas got a classic if i park with the front end on a slight downward slope it as probs starting and i av to keep the revs on for a little while until it composes itself, only had the car 3 weeks and the baffle as dropped in the exhaust it's got a big oil leak and it often loses all power while driving engine still running (just) but it wont rev at all for a couple of secs then its back, HELP,
Old 24 June 2009, 10:14 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

If the baffling in the exhaust is blocking the gasses this will affect the Engine.... oil leaking from cam covers not unknown on the flat 4, new gaskets fitted may cure this but you need to find out if it is from these or else where.......has the car had a service recently? Poor running could be down to lots of things including filters, plugs or coil packs and cam/crank sensors. I had an interment starting problem and after a lot of work it turned out to be my cam sensor...... ( if your car has a coil pack per plug then these fail with use, mine were done by 70.000 miles ).

Also check for loose or cracked air hosing, air may be getting into the engine and messing up the mixture. MAF may be failing too... some people have had failures caused by after market cone filters on some cars.

Could also be a defective water temp sensor...... on the earlier Impreza there is a way of causing the ECU to give up error codes by connecting a number of wires under the dash, not sure where the info is but if you do a search of the site it may be possible to find the fault by reading the ECU..... good luck!

Last edited by Scoobyspanners; 25 June 2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 25 June 2009, 08:33 AM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

scooby clinic says the oil leak is from the front and they will have to take off and replace the cam belt to do it, dont sound cheap, exhaust should be sorted this weekend hopefully, the car as a hks filter on it been told to get rid coz they arn't that good not to sure myself always used k&n, just checked through the service history i got with it and it was last service at 45,000 costing only £100 which seems cheap to me especially when the clinic charge that just for a oil change, its now got just over 90,000
Old 25 June 2009, 10:58 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

45,000 miles between servicing?? Brave.
Old 25 June 2009, 02:25 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

only had it 3 weeks, now my pockets are empty till end of next month had to do repairs already
Old 25 June 2009, 03:49 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Ouch! 90,000 miles is a big service if I recall.... new cambelt/tensioners and it sounds like you need a new oil seal..... could be very expensive in total if you get them to do the work...... and all the other things like break fluid, oil and filters plugs and possibly coils..... I would ask them to read the error codes if any in the ECU, should not cost much if anything, as it sounds like you will be spending a few quid with them.... The Scooby is not a cheap machine to keep on the road.. skimp on servicing and the bills will pile up, cam belt snaps and probably kiss your engine good bye.
Old 25 June 2009, 09:24 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

service will have to wait now till next month oil leak seems to be getting worse so thats got to be done so the cam belt will be done, just ordered a new fuel pump walbro 255 and a new back box is being done tomoz morning, this months costing me about £600 already, think i need some more over time at work
Old 25 June 2009, 09:30 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

dude where are you based? i had the crank oil seal leak on mine and MR CLUTCH in Chelmsford sorted it for me cheep as chips! Look out for e6tony or e6 graham in the Essex scooby crew section on this forum, they will sort you out.

Good luck

Last edited by G-Man1982; 25 June 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:52 AM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

i'm in nottingham, i've been using scooby clinic in chesterfield,