Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering an Import

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 05:32 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I am looking at purchasing an import car.

It is already in the UK and needs to be registered.

What do I need to do? SVA? MOT?

Anyone done this before? Step by Step guide?

This stuff confuses the hell out of me!

Paul
Old 05 March 2002, 05:52 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Does it have a certificate of conformity or not? (ie is it a UK spec car)? If so, verrrry easy: take the CoC & invoice to the local DVLA office, fill out a v55/5 and wait for your tax disc in the post and VAT invoice from the nice men at HMC&E.

If you need an SVA, then someone else'll have to help you as I'm clueless

Nick.
Old 05 March 2002, 05:53 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul,

Check this out bud.
http://www.japan2europe.co.uk/import...uirements.html
All the info u need should be there

Pete
Old 05 March 2002, 05:58 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

with the last car I imported it took 5 days from going to the VRO to receiving the V5 and tax - don't forget to take your chequebook as well tho as you'll hav eto pay for raod tax and there's a reg fee as well.

Go onto the DVLA website - there's stuff on registering EU and Japanese imported cars, and there are guide you can get from the Post Office - the 'code nos' will be on the website.
Old 06 March 2002, 11:20 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

any further thoughts?
Old 06 March 2002, 12:12 PM
PEN
Scooby Regular

Paul
It's been a while since we brought mine in, but you didn't say whether it was new or second hand. If the car is new and is being brought in by a reputable importer then they should not release it without the SVA test. I don't know what the ruling is in this regarding 2nd hand cars - one would assume that the SVA has been done previously as this would be required to bring it into the country.

As far as registering the car is concerned, mine was brought in via Ireland and therefore changing the registration over was not a problem. I still don't envisage this as being a problem anyway, ring the Portsmouth DVLA they were the most helpful people and I did all my changes via them. The MX 5 we have was also an import and was bought via a dealership, they did all the necessary paperwork.

It would appear that most peoples experiences of importing on here are different, so it's worth ringing the DVLA just to make sure you're doing everything right. If the car is coming through an importer or dealership then they should be able to answer and guide you with all your questions.

Hope that helps

I know there is someone out there that can give some more information on this - hope you're reading this.

P
Old 06 March 2002, 12:14 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

POC,

Is it a EU import or a jap import??

laters

stu
Old 06 March 2002, 12:33 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

It is a MY95 Jap Import Honda CRX 1.6 vetec (with some serious mods).

It is in the UK already but has not been registered, not sure how much effort would be involved if we were to buy it and register it.

Cheers for all the advice.

Paul
Old 03 June 2002, 02:57 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do don't try it yourself!!!

I bought my car at the end of October last year from an garage. He offered to do the SVA for me and say that it will take around 2 weeks. Me, being a puppy (24 yrs old), decided that I should do it myself instead.

After getting the forms for the SVA test, I did not get a reply for a month from the VIA. Then they had a cheek to tell me that the earliest that they can give the test for me was January 16th. To add insult to injury, I even paid the higher fee for the test. I managed to get a spot for early december (another story). The car passed all except for the exhaust which was 10mm(gasp!!) too long. I had to hacksaw my baby and I'm surprised Tony1979 hadn't noticed this. Anyway, the only time they can give me a re-test was on Christmas Eve. So instead of spending time with my family, I had to go all the way to London and sit for this test.

It didn't end there, DVLA was also being a pain in the *ss for sending me the wrong form, too late. To cut a long story short, I only got to drive my car on the 10th January.

Oh, did I also mentioned I also lost my cover on my car (a freaking good cover and all) because the VIA took more than a month to register my vehicle? I'm now paying 300 quid extra. Thank you very much VIA and DVLA.

[Edited by Katana - 3/6/2002 2:58:33 PM]