Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a classic saloon wingmirror the same as the classic wagon mirror ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2009, 05:42 PM
woodz77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a classic saloon wingmirror the same as the classic wagon mirror ?

my mates got a wagon and some one smacked the wingmirror off the other nite so i need to get him another . found one off ebay but its from a saloon . are they the same ???? its R reg by the way
Old 07 June 2009, 05:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I would presume so. But some classics came with electric mirrors, some with manual ones. Maybe worth checking.
Old 10 June 2009, 02:27 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Old 10 June 2009, 02:49 PM
superstar1
BANNED

NO! The wing mirrors on the Wagons are longer because the back end of the wagon is slightly wider than the saloon. This is because the wagon has an uprated diff which is what improves the handling over the saloon.
The wagon was originally going to be the basis of the WRC car years ago but it was said at the time that Prodrive thought that the saloon would be more cost effective and Colin McCrea prefererred the saloon.
Old 10 June 2009, 03:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

So whats the answer then, as one guy says no and one tuner say yes

I wanna know now and don't even drive a japanese car
Old 10 June 2009, 03:38 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm with harvey on this one....

Superstar iirc the salon and wagon are identical mechanicaly...be interested to know where you got your information
Old 10 June 2009, 03:40 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superstar1
NO! The wing mirrors on the Wagons are longer because the back end of the wagon is slightly wider than the saloon. This is because the wagon has an uprated diff which is what improves the handling over the saloon.

Same.
Old 10 June 2009, 03:45 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

I would say yes they would fitt.
This is because the wagon has an uprated diff which is what improves the handling over the saloon.
The wagon was originally going to be the basis of the WRC car years ago but it was said at the time that Prodrive thought that the saloon would be more cost effective and Colin McCrea prefererred the saloon.
Whats that got to do with wing mirrors? lol
Old 11 June 2009, 02:38 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Superstar. Has someone been feeding you brown stuff or are you having a laugh?
I have checked my calendar and it is not April 1 yet.

The diffs and the mirrors for each model, saloon or wagon are the same although there are different types and ratios of diffs, model on model.

This is because the wagon has an uprated diff which is what improves the handling over the saloon.
Old 11 June 2009, 05:06 PM
superstar1
BANNED

The mirrors on the saloon are improved version that originally appeared on the 1966 Morris Minor, but because the Morris Minor mirrors were chrome plated, when fitted to the impreza saloon it became scarey fast so Subaru improved them and colour coded them so they were unrecognisable from the original Morris design for safety. Consequently with the back end of the wagon being wider with the improved rear diff with AUR and NCD the mirrors are slightly longer which improved the rear turning circle of the vehicle when in reverse gear and travelling at approx 7MPH.
I hope this clears things up for the innexperienced Impreza owners out there.
Old 11 June 2009, 05:36 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Dimensionally, all classic Impreza mirrors are the same, they also all have the same method of fittment.

As has been said, the only difference would be weather it is a manual or elec version + of course if it has been colour coded.

Phil
Old 11 June 2009, 06:41 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

The mirrors on the saloon are improved version that originally appeared on the 1966 Morris Minor, but because the Morris Minor mirrors were chrome plated, when fitted to the impreza saloon it became scarey fast so Subaru improved them and colour coded them so they were unrecognisable from the original Morris design for safety. Consequently with the back end of the wagon being wider with the improved rear diff with AUR and NCD the mirrors are slightly longer which improved the rear turning circle of the vehicle when in reverse gear and travelling at approx 7MPH.
I hope this clears things up for the innexperienced Impreza owners out there.
I swapped my MY00 colour coded wagon mirrors for some unpainted MY99 RA wing mirrors...they are identical. As are the diffs
Old 12 June 2009, 08:18 AM
superstar1
BANNED

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trails
I swapped my MY00 colour coded wagon mirrors for some unpainted MY99 RA wing mirrors...they are identical. As are the diffs
Sounds to me like your wagon is one of the Taiwanese specials which were built for the Taiwanese market and these versions were without AUR and NCD based on a standard diff from a GL.
If i were you before any engine mods i would uprate the diff to AUR and NCD as this can seriously affect the dynamics of the car.
Go to a subaru breaker and they will probably have one on the shelf, but make sure the Morris Minor model mirrors come with the diff because this is critical. Without this set up when in reverse at 7mph the back can step out with serious concequences.
Glad to be of assistance fellow wagoneer
Old 12 June 2009, 09:13 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport
Dimensionally, all classic Impreza mirrors are the same, they also all have the same method of fittment.

As has been said, the only difference would be weather it is a manual or elec version + of course if it has been colour coded.

Phil

I might be reading this wrong, but you mean 'dimensionally' as in when trying to fit to the door.

Older classics (pre 98) definitely had a different size/shape wing mirror.
Old 12 June 2009, 10:23 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like your wagon is one of the Taiwanese specials which were built for the Taiwanese market and these versions were without AUR and NCD based on a standard diff from a GL.
If i were you before any engine mods i would uprate the diff to AUR and NCD as this can seriously affect the dynamics of the car.
Go to a subaru breaker and they will probably have one on the shelf, but make sure the Morris Minor model mirrors come with the diff because this is critical. Without this set up when in reverse at 7mph the back can step out with serious concequences.
Glad to be of assistance fellow wagoneer
I want what you must be smoking
Old 12 June 2009, 08:51 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Trails : Just an escapee from the muppet forum with too much cider and time on his hands.
Old 12 June 2009, 09:10 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Trails : Just an escapee from the muppet forum with too much cider and time on his hands.
you are probably right, they should all be tagged so you know they are not normal
Old 13 June 2009, 12:35 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Personally I think that is a rather mild sanction. Public flogging after the first warning and crucifiction for a repeat offence would be more in line.