Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was it your child??

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2001, 03:05 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never thought I would expect to see this.

"Tesco's" Colney hatch lane. N. London
man and woman in W.R.X child standing on Transmision tunnel head stuck between front seats. ( you know what I mean) Both adults with **** in mouths. driver (him) on mobile.
They take off like bat out of hell to get out of car park. and then at the last moment they brake as another car had right of way. Child lands on stereo. mother picks her up Adults laugh .Child get put back in original position..... Off they go.

If it was you or you Think you know them.
Silver WRX With loads of Jap stickers on back.

This is my opinion of you. You are both scum
You mate try to look like one of the lads doing "Security at a **** hole pub" ,A ****er.
And you darling You have probably had the pox since 12.

How copuld you treat a child like this . A bit faster and it could be dead.

SCUM SCUM SCUM

Luke.
Old 06 February 2001, 03:20 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Dumb ****.
Its one of those things, people will very rarely take critism on how they treat or bring up their kids, though god knows a lot of parents need to.
Imagine the guilt you would feel, even if it wasnt your fault, if you were involved in an accident where a child is killed or badly injured because the parents didnt strap him/her into the car properly.
Another example of people not thinking further than themselves.
Old 06 February 2001, 03:21 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Angry

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Seeing things like this really make me wish that I knew someone in the force.

StuartH, is this something where we can ring the local nick and give a rego plate. Will the local coppers come around and give them a stern talking to ?

People like this should not be allowed to have kids ...

Andrew.
Old 06 February 2001, 03:27 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Wayne & Waynetta Slob mistreating Frogmella, again?

I'm sick of it - Got a lot of Redneck types like that in my area, too. Not in Subarus mind you!!

"Pass the Banjo, Billy-Bob...Kyuk, kyuk, kyuk..."
Old 06 February 2001, 03:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

mad, totally mad.
The first thing said to the kids when they get in the scoob is 'have you got your seatbelts on?' we don't go anywhere if they have not.

correct me if i'm wrong but is this not an offence? thought that driver can be done if minors are not belted up?
Old 06 February 2001, 04:49 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Angry

I believe it is an offence to have anyone in the back with out a seat belt ??
I make all my mates buckle up as I like the back of my head as it is,
Andyp
Old 06 February 2001, 04:51 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Angry

Little tale from a traffic officer for you, just in case the owner(s) of that vehicle read this board -

Many moons ago when my patch used to include the M69 I got called to an 3 vehicle RTC in the middle of the rushhour. I arrived at the incident to find the usual scene of devastation you see at motorway accidents, the priority at this stage was to remove a badly injured person (I'll spare you the details, suffice to say you couldn't determin the sex) from the remains of a Ford Mondeo. In the meantime a few of my other colleagues were performing a close on the motorway allowing a few more vehicles to sneak past up the hardshoulder.

About 10 minutes later we get a call from our control room saying the last lorry past the scene had reported debris in the carriageway about 350m past the accident scene. It was at this point we noticed the small child restraints in the back of the car. I'll leave to your imaginiation what we found further up the road, thankfully down to the skill of about five of my colleagues and the paramedics, that child is still alive....in a wheelchair......requiring 24 hour care.

The same cannot be said for the childs mother, she died in the Air Ambulance on the way to hospital - the primary cause of her injuries was not the speed of the impact, (although that obviously played a part) it was the child who had been standing between the two seats and had turned into a rogue missile, hitting the mother and causing massive brain injuries (mother was wearing no seatbelt).

So, should the people from the car mentioned above read this, I ask only one thing - <B>THINK</B> and for f**** sake, strap your kid in.

(Apologies to anyone this has made feel disturbed/offended - this is the one aspect of my job I don't talk about very often, however I felt the scenario justified it.)

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 05:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I see this occasionally and phone my local Police, i have even followed (annonymously and at a distance) a car 'till they got there!

I did this for the child's sake, not the parents (if you can call them that)or 'cause i have nothing better to do.

This should be a licence loosing/car crushing offence and Social Services shopuld treat it as child cruelty!

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 05:50 PM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Angry

Makes me sick ....
Old 06 February 2001, 06:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

StuartH
Thanks for posting that. Would not even want to imagine having to deal with that kind of thing, but it brings home how a seemingly simple procedure as fitting a seatbelt, or ensuring that they are fitted can prevent such injuries.
Old 06 February 2001, 06:35 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Angry

This is one example of the very few occasions where u would like to c plod out with his pad nailing a motorists 4rse.

Old 06 February 2001, 07:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going to try any funny words on this one - suffice to say that I think you are all right ... thanks go to StuartH for his words of wisdom.

I see it so often round here - gypsies in pick-ups with five kids on the bench seat - all loose - no tax or insurance or MOT or fixed abode of course. Then you get the Wayne 'n' Waynettas of course who you just can't talk to at all.

Pete
Old 06 February 2001, 07:28 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Stuart,

no need to apologise - i think that it is important that everyone is aware of the (potentially fatal) impact of doing the wrong thing.

Whether it is driving without seatbelts, tailgating, drink-driving, speeding (without due regard for the conditions) or even cycling on the pavement - it all increases the risk. And when things go wrong, it can happen BIG TIME!

Education is what is required, and none of the Politically Correct crap either!!

mb
Old 06 February 2001, 07:33 PM
Luke
BANNED

Took me long enough to realize StuartH was a Police officer.

Stuart. Lets be fair. The Police in this country really dont have the law behind them.
The most feared and powerfull mob in uniform are Council traffic wardens. Any offence "Bang" your nicked and we have to pay .The law backs them further than our own Police force. If our Police force was as efficent as them god help criminals. There response time is 000.7 of a second after the offence is commited. lets see the Police out side a school one day. Giving tickets out to parents who commit this offence.

Even better, Make it a £250.00 fixed fine with 7. points on the licence. If their Insurance company could see this type of offence their premium will go up. After all how much is paid out every year in claims. How many lives could be saved.

I live right next door to a Junior school and see it every day. "Dixon Of Dock Green" would have sorted it out.....

Stuart you ask your colleagues if they have ever Known a operation to sort this out.

I would say never.

I would love to be proved wrong.

Luke

Old 06 February 2001, 07:46 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Crazy - but not, unfortunately, surprising

It's hillbilly farmer rural area round here - and the percentage of non seat belt wearing is shocking. And you can guess the ones that won't be wearing one a mile off. Usually have a *** hanging out of their mouth - double irresponsibility. I wonder what goes through these people's minds - apart from very little. Every time I go out in the car I do what I can to stack the odds in my favour, not against me. Must value their lives very little.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:16 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

This kind of stupidity isn't confined to driving either. In the supermarket the other day I saw a couple plus two kids, about 5 and 6. The kids had picked up those clear plastic bags used for veg, and were both running around with the bags pulled down tight over their heads. The parents just ignored them - it made my blood run cold. I called out to the kids, something about how bloody dangerous it was, and the kids and the parents just stared at me...

Perhaps its a form of natural selection.
Old 06 February 2001, 09:23 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Luke:
<B>If our Police force was as efficent as them god help criminals.[/quote]

Sadly Luke, it's not a case of being efficient, most of the time we don't have the resources to deal with stuff. It's as much as we can do to scrape a shift together, and then we're all rushing from job to job.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>I live right next door to a Junior school and see it every day. "Dixon Of Dock Green" would have sorted it out.....[/quote]

You're right! We get endless phonecalls at our garage from parents saying we should see the parking/lack of seatbelts/speed etc outside the schools on our area. We go down in force (pardon the pun) for an afternoon, and who are the people we are knocking off for these offences? The people who phoned us in the first place! Of course as soon as we give the FPN's out we're told we should be out catching proper criminals etc. Wherever we deploy our resources, we can't win!
Old 06 February 2001, 09:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Stu

I don't envy your job at the best of times and certainly not after reading your first post. Perhaps the government would consider putting those sort of articles into their next safe driving campaign or perhaps getting the schools to distribute it to the parents? Ok, it might shock and offend a people, but it might just save a life or two aswell.

Chris
Old 06 February 2001, 09:58 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I used to attempt to stop people whenever I saw this sort of thing, the problem was that the drivers would get more erratic and upset. I don't bother anymore just pray that nothing happens.

I really don't know what goes through some peoples heads, do they not have the common sence that they were born with? And even if they don't there's enough information around informing us of the dangers. People who get caught letting their child loose on the back seat should be banned from driving.

[This message has been edited by RB170 (edited 08 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 10:15 PM
Luke
BANNED

Stuart H

At all times my comments where not ment to offend Any Police officer. By the sounds of it If I was pulled by you it would be a case of "Fair cop Gov" !!!
yes would agree. You guys cant win.......
Huge piles of Paperwork .Screaming "Adults"
What they have to say in some cases (And you might agree with them)might be true .But I'm sure it doesn't help.

Luke
Old 06 February 2001, 10:28 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

some things never cease to amaze me...
Old 06 February 2001, 10:28 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Personally, and Stuart will tell me off I would of followed the tw@t and told him what I thought.

I once pointed out to a woman who had two kids hanging out the rear window lobbing stuff at motorists that it was an offence. She laughed and said "what are you? a copper?" "No madame", "but that chap over there heading towards you is, judging by his attire!" Bitch.

Kids then started to call the police man all the usual names you would expect a 6 year old to do like cozzer/pig/oink/bacon butty all that stuff, and it was then I realised that I was in a seriously classy area. My town!!!!!

Old 06 February 2001, 10:53 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

The arguements for not wearing belts fails to hold water with me. Like Stuart H, I deal with the leftovers at RTCs and whilst occasionally someone does suffer injuries from belts, that is the exception that proves the rule.

People say such silly things like:-

'I am only going to work and its a 30 limit all the way. I won't kill myself at that speed will I'

Information...............

At 30 mph you are travelling at about 43ft per second /per second. If I took you by the hair and threw you twice the length of your lounge (say 20 ft long) into a brick wall, head first. Then ask what the likely consequences would be, you say with certainty:-

'It would ******* kill me wouldn't it'

******** Whats the difference? ********

I like these responsible threads and support the safety concious attitudes projected by them. I wholly condemn those irresponsibe individuals who put on their own seatbelts and leave their children free to bounce around inside..........

[This message has been edited by Mike@PD (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 11:54 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

The best TV safety campaign I've seen for years (as opposed to the blanket "speed kills" ads) are the current "Think" ads.

Everyone must have seen it, but I think the people it applies to most are unfortunately the ones who quite literally can't think for themselves. Maybe there needs to be a more explicit version for stupid people. A graphic comparison of "This is what happens in a crash on TV - now this is what happens in real-life" type thing maybe??

I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that they, like Stallone et al, can walk away from a 100mph crash without a seatbelt, can stop bullets with a coffe table, can fall off cliffs without getting a bruise, etc etc.......

Steve

PS Oh, and I bet they all think that supercomputers display characters one at a time like a teletype, and beep as they do it too...
Old 07 February 2001, 10:14 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

When they catch people doing this sort of thing they should make the adults sit down in a quiet room and watch explicit uncut footage of what StuartH described.

After the film finishes, let them sit quietly in the room for half an hour to ponder it.

I am an ex-bobby from years ago and can sympathise with Stuart on the effects of seeing horrors on the road. It was one of the reasons I left and I'm not ashamed to say I found it very difficult to deal with.

Needless to say my three year old daughter is strapped in secure and double checked every time, no excuses.

blubs
Old 07 February 2001, 01:26 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stuart whole-heartly back you up on your comments... if only people like this would think!

A seat belt has saved my life twice now, I've been in two serious RTAs, and ultimately if it hadnt been for seat belts and air bags, I would be in a sorry state today...

Your story of the motorway rta, made my blood run cold.. must of been horrific for you.

And the rest of you are right, more education is needed for kids and adults a like..

Alex
Old 07 February 2001, 04:13 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Kids in the back of the car and not wearing a seatbelt really winds me up. Ive heard several stories of the Flying Kid Injuries. I have called the local police 3 times over the last few years with number plate info, but I never had any feedback as to what happened. Except for the first one. That one I called into the local station, gave then the reg number and car info...only to find that such a car did not exist!!! Interesting.....

Anyway, Stuart, if we see this occuring in the future, should we:
a) call the local station direct?
b) call 999
c) take info and drop by in person to the station
d) ignore it

Blp

Old 07 February 2001, 04:40 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

On a related note, I saw some poor driving the other day (some old biddy drove about 15 miles in normal traffic with main beam headlights on, despite the fact that *everyone* coming the other way flashed her). Who should I report this to? 999 (I think not)? DVLC?
Old 07 February 2001, 04:54 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I think the problem is that the drivers and passangers who do this think that they will never be involved in a accident, and so they think nothing of it.

Blubs has a very good point. I bet that if you were to experiance, if not at first hand then by uncut video, the consiquences (sp)then their attitude would change. There's nothing like confronting the true horror of the aftermath of RTA were seatbelts are not used to get it drilled into your head. I remember wathching something similar at school when the local officers came into to give a talk on road safety. It ceirtainly shocked.

The best advert I have seen on this was at the cinema (not sure if it was on TV). It had a family driving in a car through a housing estate. Mother in front, daughter in passenger seat and son in the back behind the mother with no seatbelt. Voice over went something like "This driver is going to kill someone". The ad runs on for about 10 senconds then suddenly a car pulls out in front and there's a crash. The guy in the back seat flies forward and smacks into the driver. She recovers and looks behind her to see her son with his head caved it.

Really upset me when I first saw it. Maybe this is what is needed to get the message across...
Old 07 February 2001, 07:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

A quick question for StuartH.

a few years ago, a friend of mine in the WM Police gave me the number of a "Reckless Driver" phone line where you could report cases of bad driving. It was an 0500 number, but i will not post it here just in case it no longer exists (i never did call it myself).

Does such a number really exist, and is it a UK initiative? If so, can we have it? Even if it does not result in an immediate response, multiple reports for the same car may give cause for a follow-up (and back up any following legal action)!

mb

Quick Reply: Was it your child??